cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Pump Problem Solved!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
About a year ago I posted for help regarding my Surflo water pump. It would intermittently run for a second and then shut off. I had lots of helpful suggestions as to a cause, but did not want to actually disassemble the pump for repair either.

I thought I finally figured out the reason, that being the water heater anode rod drips a little (which is OK, because I remove it after ever trip and the water anyway). And for a while, the pump quit.

It seemed the intermittent pulsating occurred only when the water heater was on (building more pressure I suppose). But just in the last couple weeks, its now pulsating without the water heater on. So, I decided it was just time for a new pump and be done with it. I have no leaks anywhere, and my anode rod is not dripping.

So, today I went to my local RV dealership and picked up a new SurFlo 4008-101-A65 model (same as my old one.)

Replacement was no problem. But when I took the old one out, AH-HA! I finally discovered the problem.

Here's some photos.

First is the original pump in the original position. It was attached to the side of the compartment (not the floor):

After getting it completely out, I was finally able to see what the problem was. Here's what it looks like from the side I could not see when in the compartment:

Here's the side I could see. But! In the compartment, it's dark and I just missed "it".

Yup! You caught the problem in that photo, didn't you? The pumping section separated from the motor section. As shown here:

The problem was 2 missing screws. In this photo, the upper right corner and the bottom right corner --- missing.

I found one of the screws in the compartment, the second one is completely gone. I imagine it fell down the hole where the pipes come through the floor.

Anyway, I replaced the one missing screw, tightened all the others, and will keep this pump for a back up. I may be able to find a matching screw somewhere. But since I purchased the new one, I decided to just go ahead and keep it, and now I have an extra 12 volt DC water pump for ... well???.... anything now.

I also decided to fix another problem. When we purchased the camper, I installed the winterizing kit. The hose was always too short, so I got a longer hose and finally replaced it too. I then repositioned the pump to the floor instead of the side of the compartment wall. Surprisingly, this pump is much, much quieter than the original one, even though it's the same model. Maybe positioning it in a different location helps.

Here's the new one in place:

The white stuff under the pump is a couple of Kleenexes. I put them there to see if they get wet (If I have any drips). So far, none. It's dry!

So, the mystery is finally solved after wandering why that pump would just intermittently run for a second and shut off, especially with the water heater on.

It's now been a couple hours since I've installed the new one, and so far..... no intermittent running! Yea!

I know there are others who occasionally have this same problem with the pump intermittently running. If you do, well .... check that pump, make sure you've not lost any screws!
16 REPLIES 16

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting the fesults. Very interesting, and something else good to remember.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
You could modify the old pump to use to pump water into the fresh water tank if you are boondocking.

MrWizard
I would guess that the floor is more solid, and provides sound damping
The wall acted like a sounding board and increased the pump nose
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know. Mine started doing the same thing and the toilet was slow to start and seemed to flow afterwards so I replaced the toilet valve. Still cycles so I guess I'll check the pump screws. The was those things chatter it makes sense that the screws might loosen.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know. Mine started doing the same thing and the toilet was slow to start and seemed to flow afterwards so I replaced the toilet valve. Still cycles so I guess I'll check the pump screws. The was those things chatter it makes sense that the screws might loosen.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Hey ...
But where did all the lost water get to? Hope nothing got soggy or rotted.

Actually, there never was any water anywhere. That's why it was such a mystery. My RV dealer parts shop guy told me if the pump is pumping air before the intake, it sucks that air in the line. It will pressurize, but then somehow that air releases, causing the pressure to lower, causing the pump to flip on for a second. He said if there was a leak anywhere after the output of the pump, there would be water spewing somewhere (a leak). That's what he said. I don't understand it, for sure. But, there's never been any water, wet, anything, anywhere, except my water heater anode rod hole (because I don't tape it and don't make it that tight either).

FYI, the new pump is so quiet it's amazingly different. Also, I've noticed there is water immediately at the toilet. Before, I'd have to push the peddle at the toilet and the pump would turn on and run 3 or 4 seconds before water started spewing around. Now, there is water the instant I step on the peddle. Quite obvious, there was air getting trapped at the toilet somehow.

Nice thing is, we slept in the camper again last night, kept the water heater turned on, water pump turned on, and everything remained quiet! Finally, I can get a good night sleep again. :B

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Right on! Thanks for Sharing.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

Hey Dutch, I have a loose screw too! In fact I'm missing one as well! At least that's what my friends and kids tell me! I must be related to your pump! Lol! :B

Kidding aside, nice post and pics ๐Ÿ™‚ very helpful.
Glad you figured it out.

But where did all the lost water get to? Hope nothing got soggy or rotted.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing your fix. One thing to think about is instead of using tissue to watch for drips, use newspaper. It is a lot easier to see a drip, because the paper will show a wet spot a lot better, and if it drys out, it will usually leave a ring and wrinkles.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Normally would not respond to these types of posts, but like many people, we read about a problem and fix, and it gets stored in the ol' data base. Thanx for sharing.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was doing the same thing as your old pump was doing, so I did like you and replaced it with a new pump. Two years latter the new pump was doing the same thing so this time I took it apart (BTW all the screws were still in place and tight) and found that the check valve have junk in it. I cleaned it and all worked great for another two years, now it's time to clean it again.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
So,,,you found that the answer to your problem was that you had a screw loose?! (just kidding, glad it was a simple fix)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Screws missing from pump/motor casing?????

Who was last person to work on pump?

Never been worked on. Just vibrations worked them loose I suppose.