cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cape May to Norwood MA

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so we made it down to Assateague MD and will be returning via the Lewes to Cape May Ferry so want to go from Cape May NJ to MA NOT via 95 N at all if possible. We were in traffic just South of New Haven to the NY state line for 2 hours or more and then got on 287 and then to the GSPW but coming home, would like to NOT go on 95 if possible. Could go Garden State Parkway for as long as allowed with a big RV, then 287N and then where so we can go over Tappen Zee bridge or even the Newberg Bridge, anything but George Washington bridge and 95N. Suggestions are welcome please.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers
4 REPLIES 4

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
So alid, vinc ouf szy go 295 from Cape May up to Bordentown. then I jump on the Turnpike NORTH to 287 North to 684 to 84? That 95 was hateful and if I can aviod the GSP that would be good too since getting in middle on time is sometimes nerve wracking.
Thanks!!
S and S Co-Travelers

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Driver we had reservations and the park, Castaways, was half full but the sought after sites were filled. HOWEVER, lots of people either cancelled or left early due to forecast for rain for yesterday and today, yesterday was a little rainy but today overcast and in high 50s. School vacations are now over so I would not think getting in would be a problem. The state park at Asseteague was NOT open yet but the national park was and many of their sites were filled, NO water or electric. Those sites are for Park Hosts.
I definitely want to avoid 95 and GW like the plague, so would like to go 287 to 684 to 84 I think. OR Newberg bridge would be fine, whichever is faster and less traffic. Thanks for the help!
S and S Co-Travelers

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
You are allowed to drive the entire length of the Garden State Parkway to the NY border with your MH. Trucks are not allowed north of exit 105. As you should recall from your post last week, there are some arched bridges over the parkway between about exits 135 and 150 stay away from the far right and far left lanes in that area. The heaviest traffic on the Parkway in also in that stretch of road. Avoid the rush hours.

When you get to NY you can either go east over the Tappan Zee to I684 to join I84 at Danbury or go west up the NY Turnpike to I84 and over the Newburgh/Beacon Bridge. I84 takes you to the Mass Turnpike, which you likely already know.

We're headed down to Assateague late next week. We hate reservations as we are never sure of our exact departure date. How crowded was it while you were there?

Also, we live a few miles east of Parkway exit 105. Give us a wave when you go by.

alid posted above while I was typing. He is correct that the lanes are narrow in the northern section of the Parkway. If you want to avoid that section, you can get off the parkway at exit 127 for route 440 west, which changes it's name to I287 after a few miles. Exit 127 is on the north side of the Bridge over the Raritan River. The northbound Parkway splits just before the southern end of the bridge and you want to be on the right side of the split. It has been a while since I used that exit and I think there are three lanes on that side going over the bridge. I think you need to be in the center lane for the 440 westbound part of the exit. Watch the signs carefully. This is a situation where GPS lane guidance would be helpful.

We have run into traffic on the I287 route as well as the parkway, but at least there are no tolls and the lanes are wider. If you go that way, the Newburgh/Beacon bridge is the better way as well.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

alid
Explorer
Explorer
Because of where I live in "South" Jersey I always take 295 up to Bordentown. then I jump on the Turnpike to 287... Going the GSP is ok on the southern part but depending on the day of the week and the time of day the traffic can be bad.... also the width of the lanes up north are tight!!! also some overpasses are low.

As far as going Tappen Zee bridge or even the Newberg Bridge.. I like the Newberg bridge better.. used this the last few trips. Just my 2 cents.

Have a good trip.
2009 Winnebago Adventure 32h
2006 Terry Quantum 330FKDS (beach getaway)
2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500
2007 Honda Reflex
2 house rabbits "George and MiMi"