cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly correcting steering

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
I am driving a new to me 2003 Newmar Mountain Aire which we love except the constant steering corrections right to left and left to right. I have owned other MHs and did not feel this way. SO bought and had installed the Safe T Steer device and feel it did almost nothing for the problem. AND the rig seems to always drives straight with the steering wheel slightly to the right. I have had two truck places try to get the steering wheel straight on when going straight but with not much luck. IS it Possible that the Safe T steering device is defective or ??? I know it is a big box going down the highway but my other MH which was a Winnebago Adventurer did not steer like this constantly having to correct to make it go straight. Any ideas? I did have the front end alignment before having the SAFE T put in and the same guys then tried to get the steering wheel to be straight when driving straight(they did not install SAFE T) but then I went down to them to see if they could get the steering wheel to be straight. They worked on it and drove it and adjusted and then again and again until they said, we cannot get it exactly stratight.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers
30 REPLIES 30

keefr
Explorer
Explorer
Don't overlook shocks. I replaced mine, did no other work on the alignment at all, and noticed a big improvement in steering accuracy (as well as the usual other benefits of new shocks).
Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - George Carlin

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
I had to constantly correct the steering on my rig at first. After checking all the steering components and alignment with no improvement, I found the collapsible splined shaft portion of the steering column had a tiny bit of looseness (play) in the spline, which equated to about 1" to 1-1/2" of movement of the steering wheel before anything actually responded. Replacing the shaft improved the handling immensely.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
RVER wrote:
ITi s a GM Vortec on a Workhorse chassis. The alignment was done by a well liked truck repair shop in RI and I will ask them the questions you asked me, if they checked the steering components etc. It was done on a special machine that is supposed to be the best for alignments of trucks and RVs. They are VERY accommodating so will ask the questions. The Safe T Plus cost me about $600 installed so would like to not go another $600 for rear stabilizer but will look into it but will have total steering mechanisms/front end checked first to make sure it is not the cause. NOT sure why they did not put the steering wheel on straight after alignment but also not sure it was not straight until the Safe T Plus was put on and they did test it muliple times to get it not to pull one way or another but still pulls to left a little if I let go of steering wheel. THANKS ALL FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND HELP!!

Even well liked shops make mistakes. It sounds like the mechanic doing your work was a little less than thorough. If the steering wheel was not straight and the coach still pulled to the left, then he did not complete the alignment procedure.
I have a WH chassis and after 80,000+ miles I still have no problem with it going down the highway without the need for constant steering corrections. Something was not done right at the shop.

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Safe-T-Plus installed on my Itasca 30T. Helped a little but still lots of wander. Had a rear sway bar installed ($1,000). Mostly solved the wander to the point I don't feel the need to spend more.

Not knowledgeable on the Workhorse chassis but on an F53 at the age of your Mountain Aire the bushings in the rear sway bar are gone, if they haven't been replaced.

The other factor not mentioned in previous posts is the wheelbase length to overall length. Early 2000's Newmar's on F53 chassis had a poor wheelbase to length ratio and were subject to tail wagging the dog. Not really correctable. Reason I bought "some other brand" in 2000.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
DIY trac bar
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
ITi s a GM Vortec on a Workhorse chassis. The alignment was done by a well liked truck repair shop in RI and I will ask them the questions you asked me, if they checked the steering components etc. It was done on a special machine that is supposed to be the best for alignments of trucks and RVs. They are VERY accommodating so will ask the questions. The Safe T Plus cost me about $600 installed so would like to not go another $600 for rear stabilizer but will look into it but will have total steering mechanisms/front end checked first to make sure it is not the cause. NOT sure why they did not put the steering wheel on straight after alignment but also not sure it was not straight until the Safe T Plus was put on and they did test it muliple times to get it not to pull one way or another but still pulls to left a little if I let go of steering wheel. THANKS ALL FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND HELP!!
S and S Co-Travelers

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
ONE worn component in the entire steering system could cause wandering and the need for constant correction. Have the complete steering system checked by a shop with the equipment to do it right.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard wrote:
Your symptoms (wandering at highway speeds) mimic having too little positive caster. JMO

Likely two issues here. If you have the Ford 53 chassis, off center steering wheel is the nature of the beast since only one end of the tie tod is adjustable. When the front end is aligned, a spring is loosened and does not go back exactly the same. I do not know if this might apply to any other chassis. On some model F-53 the steering wheel can be removed and moved a spline or two. On the later ones not so as they are keyed to go on one way. The joint just off the steering box where the column and box meet can be loosened and moved a spline or two also to correct the problem.

I also had 1 degree of positive caster added. Solved the constant steering correction problem. That fix did not work well when I added a steering stabilizer later, the positive caster and the steering stabilizer conflicted with each other, so I removed the stabilizer and all was well again.

Another great help for the steering problem is to add a rear track bar if you do not have one. It stops the "tail wagging the dog" which is a major cause of the steering corrections as you chase the wagging tail.

If you are having the front end aligned ask for some additional caster. You will notice heavier steering at low speeds, but nice and firm at highway speeds. I have called the Ford hotline for RV chassis and asked if this will cause any damage or problems and they assured me no, it is fine. Every alignment shop I have spoken to about adding the positive caster also agree it is ok to do and commonly done.

I would strongly suggest a rear track bar also if the budget allows. They cost ~$600 or less and I installed ours myself. Any decent mechanic or handyman can do it in a couple of hours.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Proper alignment includes unloading all pivot points to check for wear. This process takes a bit of effort and time. Did they do this or just throw it on the rack and check the toe?

Was the rear axle verified square to the chassis? Steering gearbox should also be checked for wear.

Did they give any printout of the measured angles and the specs? +1 to dial in more caster.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming that your chassis does not already have track bars, then I think wa8yxm has a good recommendation.

Our first motorhome was on a ford F53 chassis *(37ft with tag axle). It had a little movement over the leaf springs. A rear track bar made an 80% improvement. A front track bar removed the remainder of the movement. If you only plan to install one track bar, the rear one will probably give you the most improvement.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would suggest you look into TRAC bars, in addition to the Safe-T-Steer or Blue Ox Tru-Center.. I did. Made a BIG, and I mean BIG difference in my coach

The problem is "WAG" with a solid one piece axle (Most motor homes have) instead of Independent front suspension (Like modern pick ups) the body can move a bit si9de to side over the axle.. NOTE. not far, but it don't take much.

If the front moves one way, and the rear the other, YOU think you are going down the road cockeyed (Drifting one way or the other) so you correct, then the ends swap so you overcorrect the other way and back and forth.

The trac bar "locks" the body in position, One is good, two stop this behaviour 100$.. Ultra power makes a nice one for Workhorse or ford (I will install later) And mine is a Davis Tru-Trac on the front.

(The UP is for the rear).. I'm told the Rear one is most effective.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
I took it for a front end alignment to a well known in this area Truck shop and then brought it elsewhere to have the SafeT Plus put on. Wind is BAD, trucks going by not so bad, driving with no wind on highway it is a constant back and forth on steering wheel to go straight, if I straighten the wheels and steering wheel is slightly to the right(not centered) it pulls to the left a bit. Two different shops have tried to get it to just go straight with wheels going straight and it just does not adjust right. The steering wheel is still a little to the right. I do not think they tried to put the steering wheel on straight because they spent so much time trying to get the Steering Plus to hold the wheel straight without constant pulling one way or the other. I am not liking it but have drivien about 500 miles and made it in one piece but passing a long truck is very nerve wracking since I am constantly moving the steering wheel. I had a Winne Adventurer some years ago and NEVER had this problem, it was solid as a rock.
S and S Co-Travelers

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can drive my coach for miles and miles with (and I am not kidding) 1 finger on the steering wheel on some of those long straight Interstate highways. I have been able to release hold on the steering wheel for over 1/2 mile on calm days and straight highways. You should be able to do something very similar or you have a problem that needs to be addressed immediately. Wind? BAD! Passing trucks? BAD! But, if you are just out there on your own on a calm day and straight highway your coach should go straight.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
RVER wrote:

I am driving a new to me 2003 Newmar Mountain Aire which we love except the constant steering corrections right to left and left to right.
I have owned other MHs and did not feel this way.
SO bought and had installed the Safe T Steer device and feel it did almost nothing for the problem.
AND the rig seems to always drives straight with the steering wheel slightly to the right. I have had two truck places try to get the steering wheel straight on when going straight but with not much luck. IS it Possible that the Safe T steering device is defective or ??? I know it is a big box going down the highway but my other MH which was a Winnebago Adventurer did not steer like this constantly having to correct to make it go straight. Any ideas? I did have the front end alignment before having the SAFE T put in and the same guys then tried to get the steering wheel to be straight when driving straight(they did not install SAFE T) but then I went down to them to see if they could get the steering wheel to be straight. They worked on it and drove it and adjusted and then again and again until they said, we cannot get it exactly stratight.

JMHO,

You need to go to a GOOD TRUCK alignment shop. The problem is likely the Alignment. A good, competent shop, should be able to align and get the steering wheel straight.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach