cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chiggers and Spiders and Ticks. Oh my.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
We took some time this week to check out Pennyrile State Resort in Kentucky. It is a very nice facility with a modest camp ground and large lodge and cabin facilities.

What we did not know was, this was also the annual tick and spider gathering.

These where not your good old Indiana ticks and spiders that you can see, these are those itty bitty fly speck ticks and just slightly larger spiders.

So my question is; what do my fellow RVers do when hiking, fishing or otherwise playing out of doors in 75 to 80 degree weather to keep them at bay?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
17 REPLIES 17

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
Sulfur, yes. We used to take the matches out of our C-Rations, break the heads off and pop 'em in our mouth till nearly dissolved. Something learned at Ranger School, Ft. Benning.
Times fun when you're having flies!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru,

I do have a soft spot for spiders, we are both hunters of sorts.

However, I will admit, it had been a long time since I had seen so many little ones in one spot. I will also say that spider bites, although rare in IN, can be nasty.

Chiggers and ticks on the other hand I have no use for. Both the DW and I were treated for Lyme's disease because we tested positive last year. We had one of the worst antibiotics I have ever taken.

However, it is true, we decided to play in their home field. 🙂

I also wish to thank everyone for the product advice.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
The little ticks are little ticks that grow up to be big ticks. All the same Spotted Deer Tick. Spiders are beneficial to the environment. Keep them alive. Any DEET around the ankle and on the arms and collar.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

I think they've found that DEET is the best repellant for applying on clothes and skin. Skin-so-soft is a fair repellant and has the added benefit of an excellent hand cleaner (removes asphalt residue).

The interesting thing about Avon's Skin So Soft is the company changed the formula about 30 years ago; they refuse to say the reformulated product is an insect repellent AND now makes a product called Skin So Soft with Picardin (the generic name of Permethrin?) added that IS called a bug repellent by the company. The way I see it the placebo effect was hard at work between the time the original formula was removed from shelves and the bug spray was marketed.

Here's an informative article that delineates the differences between various repellents:

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/insect-repellents.html

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I remember folks dumping sulfur into their socks to keep from getting attacked.
bumpy

Thats was popular when I was a kid. Another remedy back then was moms would rub a bit of coal oil on everyones britches from the knees down. It worked but to this day I can't stand the smell of coal oil/kerosene.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
there were chiggers in iowa and I remember folks dumping sulfur into their socks to keep from getting attacked.
bumpy
Yup, I've seen grown men cry from insects. I've also sprayed down with Raid Yard Guard when we ran out of bug spray while camping. There are places and times to stay away from the Great Outdoors.

I live in MN, Land of 10K Lakes and 100K swamps. In my area we have very active mosquito control agencies. They are out all the time, spreading baits and fogging/spraying wetlands. I worked outdoors for a large portion of my career. I've had both West Nile and Lyme disease, came out just the same scratching fellow as before I contracted the diseases.
One interesting point: When I worked on tree removal and trimming crews, we never had a problem with insects, nary a bite among us. Carpentry, pretty much the same thing. I don't know if that was because of machine exhaust, profuse sweat, or some other thing.

I think they've found that DEET is the best repellant for applying on clothes and skin. Skin-so-soft is a fair repellant and has the added benefit of an excellent hand cleaner (removes asphalt residue).
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Three lifers escaped from a fed max prison here in eastern OK some time in the '70s era. All three convicts weren't familiar with these pests.
After almost 3 weeks in the woods/fields all three gave up.....covered with ticks and mostly chigger bits. One with his eyes were almost swollen shut.

I have 40 acres with the house in the center.
Ticks and chiggers are just part of every day life in warm weather. My kids/grandkids and great grand kids use spray products made for that purpose.

The last 10-12 years I haven't been bothered with ticks but I eat a lot of Jalapeno's. I also keep about 5 acres mowed real short around the house.
But I do have to spray for chiggers if I have to get out in the weeds/brush in my pasture.....and take a quick bath when I've finished work.
I can live with snakes/ticks/spiders but chigger bits are the devil to live with for a week or so.
Everyone has their favorite product to help deal with ticks and chiggers. Some work better than others.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
there were chiggers in iowa and I remember folks dumping sulfur into their socks to keep from getting attacked.
bumpy

roadjunkie
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good success with tea tree oil. It's non-toxic and is well known as a good insect repellent. I live on the gulf in south texas and when I have it on me, no mosquitos. Mix a couple of ounces in a spray bottle with water and spray it on you. I usually just use a cotton swab and straight oil around my pant legs and exposed skin.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
I use various products from Sawyer, especially the time-release skin lotion and the spray which goes on your clothing. The latter lasts through several washings. You put it on the clothes while you are NOT wearing, then let them dry. Disclaimer: these have been effective against California bugs. I've heard of chiggers, not sure we have them here.

X2
Sawyer Permethrin

Haven't used their the skin products yet but have found the spray on Permethrin works well for clothing and other textiles like screen houses, tents and chairs.

For skin I use 30% DEET mosquito wipes; several companies make them- Woodsman, Repel, Ben's, to name a few. I find there is less waste with the wipes over the aerosol sprays. Can't find the wipes? Just make sure you get a product with at least 30% DEET as the active ingredient anything less is just not as effective.

Not sure about spiders although Permethrin works as an insecticide for daddy long legs. For sure it works on chiggers, ticks, biting flies and mosquitoes.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
I've heard of chiggers, not sure we have them here.

We don't. Mostly in the south, as in the deep south. You really can't see them unless you are really looking hard. Spent a couple of years in Mississippi, Arkansas, and Tennessee. Lots of them there. I basically never wandered into the bush. (more for fear of the snakes, then the chiggers and ticks). Any of them can ruin your day.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Long pants (I never wear shorts in the woods, if it's too hot to wear pants then I simply don't hike) and if going into really thick tick country a pyrethrin based spray or cream can be applied to the lower 4-6" if the pants. I've spent upwards of 20 percent of a year in the woods and never been bitten by anything worse than a mosquito or no-see-um.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
'OFF' and afterwards a good self inspection (or partners) then a hot shower.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the insects down south will stay away from most of the major brand repellents. We usually spray on "Off".