cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Registration......Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
:M:M:M:M

We have a 2016 Rockwood Roo 23ws (this is an hybrid). Every year we have to register the camper and pay the excise tax. Last year, it cost me over $600.00 and this year $486.00. (Price is according to the value of the camper)

When I think that our camping season is 5 to 6 months, and knowing that each time we go camping we're on the road one day to get there and one day to come back......this is a rip off ! About 12 days on the road each year, and we have to pay as much as a car we use all year long !

I know it's my choice, but I still don't think it's fair!
Our Maine government promotes family life, but camping is becoming a luxury.............

How many other states have that excise tax....and I'm not talking about motorhomes which are motor vehicles.
89 REPLIES 89

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
Clarryhill wrote:
drenjoey wrote:
:M:M:M:M

We have a 2016 Rockwood Roo 23ws (this is an hybrid). Every year we have to register the camper and pay the excise tax. Last year, it cost me over $600.00 and this year $486.00. (Price is according to the value of the camper)

When I think that our camping season is 5 to 6 months, and knowing that each time we go camping we're on the road one day to get there and one day to come back......this is a rip off ! About 12 days on the road each year, and we have to pay as much as a car we use all year long !

I know it's my choice, but I still don't think it's fair!
Our Maine government promotes family life, but camping is becoming a luxury.............

How many other states have that excise tax....and I'm not talking about motorhomes which are motor vehicles.

Welcome to Maine..."Open For Business"...

Yep, another Maniac here. Just registered my TV. Check book came out $1355 less than what it was before I went to registration office. I guess if we want these wonderful Maine roads, we have to pay the price. Opps, I might have incorrectly described the condition of our roads!

Lakeside

:):):)
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
$100 in IL. for the yearly plate fee.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a resident of Grays Harbor County in WA state. Several WA counties require passing an emissions test prior to registering (or renewing) a vehicle. Grays Harbor County does not require an emissions test. I purposefully chose Grays Harbor County for this reason. I can renew online and not even be in the state. King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties are also impacted by the Regional Transit Authority (RTA) tax. Even worse is: Sound Transit 3 (ST3). Why am I saying all this? It's not just the state that one must consider. In many cases, counties and municipalities can pile on their own fees to the registration.

In Grays Harbor County, WA my annual registrations last March were:

2005 30 foot Class C: $116.75
  • Registration License - Renewal $30.00
  • Vehicle Weight - Motorhome $75.00
  • RV Sanitary Disposal $3.00
  • Registration Filing $3.00
  • Registration Service Fee $5.00
  • License Plate Technology $0.25
  • Department of Licensing Service $0.50

2009 smart car: $63.75
  • Registration License - Renewal $30.00
  • Vehicle Weight $25.00
  • Registration Filing $3.00
  • Registration Service Fee $5.00
  • License Plate Technology $0.25
  • Department of Licensing Service $0.50
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Hehehehehehe.....
Still swimming in the California pool. It get stinky enough you will move or clean the waters.
Seems like a lot o people are getting the California message.
When you going to clean the water up....or move.

ME to CA?
Sorry but it doesn't really fit your frequent blame game, LOL.
By the way...what state are you from? Enquiring minds would like to analyse it's tax base vs services;).

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
delete. Double post.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Delete. Triple post:B

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Hehehehehehe.....
Still swimming in the California pool. It get stinky enough you will move or clean the waters.
Seems like a lot o people are getting the California message.
When you going to clean the water up....or move.

I didn't mean to be so inditing or devisive.
Seriously, I would think enough people would be getting fed up to, get rid of the Politicians in Sacramento and elsewhere.
If not wisdom would seem to be to move where your taxes and cost of living including homes is one fourth what you Fo;ks are suffering.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
drenjoey wrote:
Walaby wrote:
drenjoey wrote:

Not in Maine. We pay excise tax every year on our travel trailer ($486.00), my wife's car is a 2015 Honda CRV ($478.00) and my truck is a 2005 Dodge Ram (around $250.00 this year). Excise tax cost goes down as the vehicles age.....It is not a property tax.
http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/registration/

Your excise tax is a property tax.

From the website

The payment of municipal excise (property) taxes is a prerequisite for all motor vehicle registrations.

Mike

In other states, they might call it property tax, but here in Maine, they call it excise tax

Doesn't matter what they call it.. it still smarts every year. ๐Ÿ˜ž The link you provided refers to it as a excise (property) tax.

Georgia is a little better in that motor vehicles you pay it one time upon purchase, but if you buy a new vehicle, it is 7 percent on the purchase price of the vehicle. Then, if you sell it, and the buyer goes to register, they get to collect the tax again!

TT's/5ers (aka not self propelled), get to pay the lovely tax annually, albeit at a reduced amount. It also reduces annually based on the value. My registration for my 2016 Lacrosse was $425(ish) in 2017. My 2014 Ram was $20(ish) since I paid the full tax up front upon purchase/initial registration.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We pay 7.25, I believe for sales tax plus a bit more for the first few hundred dollars to local. After that it is $24.00 per year for any vehicle not commercial.
Property Tax valuation you would not believe here now for woods and boulders and springs. Tax rate did change but value did.

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
drenjoey wrote:

Not in Maine. We pay excise tax every year on our travel trailer ($486.00), my wife's car is a 2015 Honda CRV ($478.00) and my truck is a 2005 Dodge Ram (around $250.00 this year). Excise tax cost goes down as the vehicles age.....It is not a property tax.

From the website

The payment of municipal excise (property) taxes is a prerequisite for all motor vehicle registrations.

Mike

In other states, they might call it property tax, but here in Maine, they call it excise tax

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
drenjoey wrote:

From the website

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Here in VA we have the one time permanent tag cost when you first get the trailer... Never owned a motorhome before so I suspect they would be registered like a Truck here... Tag renewal every year...

For my trailers this is the only registration thing I know about other than the State here has yearly safety inspections on all road vehicles and trailers that meet the requirement... Both my off-road trailer and 5th wheel trailer have safety inspection stickers on them...

The local county here have personal property taxes on land, house, trailers, and road motor vehicles... Even chickens and pigs are taxed here if you live on a farm... Recently they have something called a license fee now... This is in addition to getting the Tags renewed from the State...

All of this is deductible from the Income Taxes if you can file the long forms... I was also able to claim my fifth wheel as a second home and got some help from claiming the Interest of the trailer loan only...

I do know there are many RV'ers horror stories based on where you are licensed from. Most RV'ers that are full time get all of this figured out so they can get the best deal they can based on where the RV is registered from... The trick is to prove you live in a certain state to be able to have your RV road equipment licensed there...

Lots of games being played here I suspect haha...

All I know is it is best to have your Drivers License, State Inspection stickers, Insurance, and Tags all from the same State and the DOT and State Troopers will wave you right on through... No RED FLAGS to get them going..

Roy Ken

The permanent trailer tag no longer applies to TT only utility type trailers and that changed sometime before 2007 since I had a permanent tag on my 1981 Prowler, but when I got my current trailer in 2007 I found out it was no longer eligible for the permanent trailer tag.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeroo wrote:
Try it Virginia style,
1. The county gets your registration info and send twice yearly tax bills for the priviledge of having YOUR property in THEIR county.
2. And then once yearly , in a different month, require you to purchase a county windshield sticker.
So basically you pay the tax for the privilege of buying the sticker.
Which makes it very much fun for the deputies to set up roadblocks in the month of April to look at windshields to see who hasn't paid their tax and BS fee.
Our county Treasurer admits that the sheriffs dept is nothing but a revenue stream for her office, that's why on 1 April they double the cost of the sticker and any unpaid tax.
Yeah, I know all states get their money somewhere but my home county has gotten ridiculous, I have passed 22 LEO's in a single 28 mile stretch of US 58 all running their radar in the spots where the speed limits go up and down from 45 to 55 to 60 to 55 to 60 to 35.
Russ

AFAIK property tax bills are billed annually not semi-annually, but that is a county by county thing just like the property stickers you mentioned which Fairfax County did away with several (4 or 5) year ago.

Also, for trailers the assessed valve for property taxes which are based on current assessed valve will never go below 20 percent of the original purchase cost regardless of age. My 2007 TT purchased in 2007 hit that bottom back in 2012 and has had the same property tax assessed value every year since then and it will never change.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
drenjoey wrote:
We have a 2016 Rockwood Roo 23ws (this is an hybrid). Every year we have to register the camper and pay the excise tax.
Excise taxes are only paid when you purchase something. You seem to be talking about a property tax.