cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing behind a MH

Dpalmer2407
Explorer
Explorer
We are new to the RV world. My wife and I just bought a 44ft MH and are trying to figure out best way to tow a jeep and 2 motorcycles behind the MH. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

David
50 REPLIES 50

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
I have a neighbor in Arizona that tows a trailer similar to this setup.

He has already headed north and I could not find a picture of his.

My neighbor has a lift inside the trailer where he can run one car in lift it then run a second car under the first or as he did this year three motorcycles.

He still has room for all of his junk that he takes between his summer and winter homes.

Just wondering if an equalizing hitch would take all the hitch weight off of a trailer like that, cuz with that particular coach, it can't stand another pound on it's rear axle?

Don't know about your chassis, but ours says in BIG BOLD PRINT .... Do NOT use a Weight Distribution (equalizing) Hitch.

Ummmmmmm...wonder why. Not sure what my manual says and never thought much about it, since we tow four down anyway.
As for that particular model, American's of that vintage without a tag are usually at max on the rear axle. Not that it's gonna break and as long as the tire pressures are adequate, I suppose it's good to go, up to a certain point.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Dpalmer2407 wrote:
We are new to the RV world. My wife and I just bought a 44ft MH and are trying to figure out best way to tow a jeep and 2 motorcycles behind the MH. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

David

If you are new to this than for now I would stick with flat towing the Jeep and get a trailer for the bikes, only bring the Jeep on some trips and bikes on other trips for now till you know what you want, a enclosed stacker trailer will cost you $30,000 starting price before any options and paint job, some have spent $70,000 for a nice stacker trailer.

I spent $5500 on my custom stacker, you could go this route and find a custom builder and save thousands in $$..

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:

My neighbor has a lift inside the trailer where he can run one car in lift it then run a second car under the first or as he did this year three motorcycles.

He still has room for all of his junk that he takes between his summer and winter homes.

Just wondering if an equalizing hitch would take all the hitch weight off of a trailer like that, cuz with that particular coach, it can't stand another pound on it's rear axle?

Don't know about your chassis, but ours says in BIG BOLD PRINT .... Do NOT use a Weight Distribution (equalizing) Hitch.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want to keep the Jeep then I'd go with something like a tandem tow dolly. Put manual locking hubs on the front of the Jeep and tow it backwards on the dolly with the steering wheel locked straight. I do something similar by clicking on "How I tow" below.
Welcome back.

On ....Ebay in TN.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Dpalmer2407
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your advise! Well needed.

Dpalmer2407
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
A stacker would do the job, everything inside but you have unloading and a trailer to deal with. A dolly with 2 bikes adds length and weight to the MH hitch.

I'd look at a truck and 2 motorized lifts. Either a flat bed or remove the bed. Seems like a good option with any amount of traveling.

Another poster had a custom hydraulic lift made for his HDT truck for 2 bikes so maybe a hydraulic lift is a possibility. ie His RV is a 5er, no car.

Thanks will check that out. Like the idea of truck with 2 lifts. Been trying to trade in truck for new one lol.

Dpalmer2407
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Dpalmer2407 wrote:
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Sorry can't resist. You are new to RVing and you bought a what? Man that is big. I've RVed and towed various things for 40 years and I wouldn't touch that combination of huge MH and all that stuff to tow. Good Luck and be careful.

Yeah that's what my wife said.

Well, you certainly did the right thing and it just might save you a bundle of $, by not wanting to trade up in the near future....and something that is more often the case, than not.

Thanks for the advise!

Dpalmer2407
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
A stacker would do the job, everything inside but you have unloading and a trailer to deal with. A dolly with 2 bikes adds length and weight to the MH hitch.

I'd look at a truck and 2 motorized lifts. Either a flat bed or remove the bed. Seems like a good option with any amount of traveling.

Another poster had a custom hydraulic lift made for his HDT truck for 2 bikes so maybe a hydraulic lift is a possibility. ie His RV is a 5er, no car.

Thanks will check it out

Dpalmer2407
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
I'd go with a box trailer with these thoughts.

Every thing gets protected, and the trailer becomes a storage place for the bikes.

the act of backing a big trailer with a motorhome is an art form. So your jeep must be able to tow it too.

Most likely the case, until one gets some practice and did see an old Prevost last week, quickly backing into a site and like he could do it in his sleep. Had a Dodge Charger inside, so not something that you'd tow a big trailer with.
There were a lot of these enclosed trailers in this resort and did see some of them open with little workshops inside and one even had a fridge.

Haha definitely not that experienced

Thanks

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Dpalmer2407 wrote:
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Sorry can't resist. You are new to RVing and you bought a what? Man that is big. I've RVed and towed various things for 40 years and I wouldn't touch that combination of huge MH and all that stuff to tow. Good Luck and be careful.

Well, you certainly did the right thing and it just might save you a bundle of $, by not wanting to trade up in the near future....and something that is more often the case, than not.

Dpalmer2407
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote: