cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Used RV is "Safetied" What/Why the Safety Check?

diyrob
Explorer
Explorer
From the US and looking at used motorhomes in Ontario. Many ads say the MH has been "Safetied? What is it? Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
diyrob wrote:
From the US and looking at used motorhomes in Ontario. Many ads say the MH has been "Safetied? What is it? Thanks.

It means its safe and legal to drive on the street,,
all motorized vehicles cars,trucks motorcycles need to have safety ispection done before you can get licence plate,you also must have insurance..

Any garage can do safety inspection,this incuded good tires,brakes,lights,wipers,etc..
Also emmisions check for newer vehicles,,very old are exempt..not sure how old though..

Some slow speed electric bikes are exempt from safety and insurance

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If I purchased a vehicle in Ontario and then attempted to register it in Saskatchewan, it would have to be reinspected in SK.

Beverley&Ken wrote:
I can't comment on how its done for vehicle being taken out of province.

Ken
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
We live near the area that the OP will spend the summer and it is within range where an emission test is required. If the OP lives in an area in the US where an emissions test is required then one done here may be helpful. The other benefit is that if there is a "check engine light", an emission test won't be done until it is fixed. If the seller has to fix the CEL it will be an indication that the engine electronics etc. are working properly for the buyer.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of points, the Safety Check does not include the fitness of the driveline engine transmission, other than its running enough to ensure the mechanical fitness, safety of the vehicle. It is required only when a vehicle changes ownership, it is required so the new owner can licence the vehicle to drive on the road. If the same person owns the vehicle for 25 yrs, the vehicle will have only had a safety check when originally purchased. When listed like the OP, its a selling feature, meaning the purchaser does not have to pay to get it done.

The emission test is a totally different money collection for the government. It is required every two years (on vehicles 7 or more years old), in order to renew your licence sticker. For any MH this is a $105 fee, for cars it has just been reduced from $33 to $0.

I can't comment on how its done for vehicle being taken out of province.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
whenever I sell a vehicle I specify "as is" in the bill of sale so if it fails inspection it is not my problem.
bumpy

diyrob
Explorer
Explorer
almcc wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
diyrob,

It also means that it has passed the Ontario emissions testing. No test, no license.

Just a clarification on emissions testing, the testing only applies in certain parts of Ontario (generally the greater Toronto area and southern Ontario, check the regs for exact areas), it's not required in the north.

There may also be no emission testing required if the vehicle is exported, not being registered in Ontario.
Yes, we'll be buying one this summer and returning to Florida to register and tag it. I think we need a temporary ON tag though to get back across the U.S. border, so maybe better to have one that passes all the testing. Our summer place is in Southern Ontario, N.E. of Guelph.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
diyrob,

It also means that it has passed the Ontario emissions testing. No test, no license.

Just a clarification on emissions testing, the testing only applies in certain parts of Ontario (generally the greater Toronto area and southern Ontario, check the regs for exact areas), it's not required in the north.

There may also be no emission testing required if the vehicle is exported, not being registered in Ontario.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
diyrob,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

diyrob
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
A safety check in Ontario must be performed on any motor vehicle that is a resale to ensure that it is roadworthy. Powertrain, Suspension, Brake Systems, Steering, Instruments and Auxiliary equipment, Lamps, Electrical System, Body, Tires and Wheels, Coupling Devices and a Road Test.Has nothing to do with the condition of the RV systems. Any deficiencies must be corrected before the sale unless the unit is sold 'as is' then the purchaser must perform the safety check before it can be registered and put on the road.
Thank you, this is the info I was looking for!

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
A safety check in Ontario must be performed on any motor vehicle that is a resale to ensure that it is roadworthy. Powertrain, Suspension, Brake Systems, Steering, Instruments and Auxiliary equipment, Lamps, Electrical System, Body, Tires and Wheels, Coupling Devices and a Road Test.Has nothing to do with the condition of the RV systems. Any deficiencies must be corrected before the sale unless the unit is sold 'as is' then the purchaser must perform the safety check before it can be registered and put on the road.

diyrob
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if it was the chassis/vehicle check, and/or the entire RV coach systems and all that.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I find it interesting that they advertise it has been 'safetied.'

Pennsylvania has an annual vehicle inspection. When you buy a vehicle you assume it has a valid inspection sticker.

Maybe it's not mandatory in Onatrio?

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
It means it has been inspected for safety using the Ontario provincial rules.
What the rules are I do not know.
They measure brake pad thickness and other safety stuff such as suspension and steering.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind