cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explaining RVs/campers to people who just don't get it!

Rovito
Explorer
Explorer
My Father in law lives in Florida and we live in Maine. I told him next time we go down to Florida we will take 3-5 days to make our way down. He looked at me like I'm insane taking that much time to drive down. He was a long haul trucker so I think his mindset when driving is to get from point A to point B as soon as possible. People don't get the idea of taking it slow and just enjoying the ride. Same with looking at other peoples rigs or looking RV sales places. My wife and I just like to see what is new and what mods people have done. People I talk to about this just don't seem to get it.
2001 Ford F150 pulling a KZ Sportsmen classic 19BH.
68 REPLIES 68

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Could you imagine what camping would be like if everyone enjoyed the rv lifestyle, be next to impossible to find a spot.

LeoandLil
Explorer
Explorer
I have lots of folks (including my wife:R) who were totally confounded with my recent travel trailer purchase. You see, I live in the mountains of Georgia, more specifically within the Chattahoochee forest and on a beautiful wooded property.

In fact, tons of folks come up my way from the big cities to go camping.
Thus, the quizzical looks from those who are trying to figure out why I bought a trailer. But, I love heading out, even if it is to a campground nearby.

Y'all are right...some just don't get it. Anyway, stay safe and Happy Camping!
2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS ("near-luxury" couples coach)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"I'm in the group that makes marathon runs to and from my destinations"

I wish I could make those 40 mile marathon runs...lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Downwindtracker2 wrote:
At home there is always something that must get done, camping much less so.

This is something I say to my wife alot, I live on a small farm but have a 40hr job, so If I am home I am working, we have to leave to relax, We have done everything from tent to pop-up, TC, TT, MH,back to TC, now 2017 TT, We love camping not so much for campground life but stop when you need to and sleep in your own bed, and no problems with the dogs, and allways a bathroom just behind you, and food and sweet tea ...and ....and...and.

Sometimes we are blazing to the destination so Cracker Barrel or Walmart, Sams, or whereever, but I try to have the stops at a nice S.P. or the such.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
My friends sold there house and 70 acre farm, retired and picked a couple motorcycles to haul in the bed of the truck along with the 25ft TT, they said they were headed out west as they hadn't seen anything west of yellowstone in the north and Branson in the south, they left on Jan 1 2017, they have made it to AZ as of last week......now that is taking your time.

The trips we take and have taken in the last 30 years where we had time to slow down and relax ( whitch means within 500 miles of home ) have been by far the best trips.

When we " over plan " and try to go to far. see to much, in a short amount of time are the ones that when we get home we say we need a rest before going back to work, are not so much relaxing.

I hate to wish my life away .....but I am looking forward to beeing retired and getting to travel at my own pace for as long as I wan't.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
bear1951 wrote:
My standard response to the "why don''t you just do those things in your back yard?" question is as follows. We camp to relax and recharge. If I'm sitting at home, there are always things that need attention and sooner or later the "guilt" will wear me into working. I'm semi-retired and work 35 hours/wk, the wife retires next year. At my age a good weekend of R&R goes a long way towards getting the next week completed.
We will soon be married for 46 years and have camped as a family since our first anniversary. RV-ing can be an expensive habit, for us it has allowed us to do things on a small budget that would normally bend the budget into a pretzel. I know who last slept in the bed I sleep in and when the linens and bead covers were last cleaned. We can have breakfast with a view in our jammies, lunch in places that many only dream of, dinner under the stars and be together.
Yes the in-laws think we're a bit touched, but they have not seen our beautiful state or country like we have. Most, rarely if ever, do anything together and wonder why there are so many conflicts within their little kingdoms. No regrets here. We may not have a lot materially, but everything else is really very pleasant and peaceful.

And my standard answer would be.....my "backyard" is public land that I view 120 feet up in the air with it's own rules and regulations:).

I don't hold with that whole who last slept in my bed thinking since bed bugs can enter your home or vac spot (RV, cabin, etc) no matter how clean you keep your space counter-argument.

I am impressed with the reality of less light and air pollution and the natural beauty of my surroundings whilst camping. Which may or may not include lounge wear although no Walmart's are hurt in the process.

I camp because I want to enjoy both sides of the coin this world offers and if that isn't a good enough reason for anyone else than so be it. Won't be inviting you to a Riparian Repast since stimulating conversation is half the enjoyment. Uhhh unless you are a wayward family member named Daisy or our Rose what I dinna get to choose :W

OBSPowerstroke
Explorer
Explorer
I unfortunately still have about 20 years before I can retire, so I'm in the group that makes marathon runs to and from my destinations so I can spend as much time as possible exploring the area.

Once I retire, I'll have time to explore places along the way, but I'm sure there will still be some marathon sessions. I really enjoy driving and don't mind long days behind the wheel. I have driven the 1,000 miles from Portland to Palm Springs nonstop once as well as the 1,000 miles to Moab with a couple hours of sleep at a rest area. Last year we did another Moab trip and made it to Salt Lake from Portland in a day, camped in a parking lot for 6 or so hours, then were back on the road to get into Moab early that day to find a good camping spot.

I do like the last minute weekend trips where I tow the 40 miles out to one of our favorite local campgrounds in the coast range. It's nice only having to drive an hour to get to camp and have most of the weekend to enjoy fishing, hiking, relaxing, and occasionally some swimming.
Josh
'16 Ford F350
'11 Komfort Resort 240RK
Portland, OR

bear1951
Explorer
Explorer
My standard response to the "why don''t you just do those things in your back yard?" question is as follows. We camp to relax and recharge. If I'm sitting at home, there are always things that need attention and sooner or later the "guilt" will wear me into working. I'm semi-retired and work 35 hours/wk, the wife retires next year. At my age a good weekend of R&R goes a long way towards getting the next week completed.
We will soon be married for 46 years and have camped as a family since our first anniversary. RV-ing can be an expensive habit, for us it has allowed us to do things on a small budget that would normally bend the budget into a pretzel. I know who last slept in the bed I sleep in and when the linens and bead covers were last cleaned. We can have breakfast with a view in our jammies, lunch in places that many only dream of, dinner under the stars and be together.
Yes the in-laws think we're a bit touched, but they have not seen our beautiful state or country like we have. Most, rarely if ever, do anything together and wonder why there are so many conflicts within their little kingdoms. No regrets here. We may not have a lot materially, but everything else is really very pleasant and peaceful.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
roadjunkie wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
When we 'announced' we were going to hit the road FT, sell the S&B and EVERYTHING our family/friends were pro/con.

Her brothers were divided.....1 is a avid camper/backpacker/hiker and he was jealous. The others were home bodies and just couldn't comprehend the idea of no Home.
My brother was like that also, my sister was envious---she had spent many years traveling working/living in motels so she got it.

Friends were confused....sell your house and live in a 5th wheel. Then they saw the 5th wheel after we brought it home and after a couple of conversations about WHAT we were planning on doing (traveling the back roads...seeing the USA) they wished us well and a couple of them began checking out FT RVng, but they were several years out from retirement.

Even some campers we have visited with across the USA didn't get it.

I don't get the fascination with video games or tweeting/snapchat or any of those other things that keep folks faces glued to their phones :H :S

Good for you, Old-Biscuit. I just bought a small TT last week and am heading back to Texas with it in tow for a change of pace now. After spending a couple of weeks in Big Bend National Park, and the ghost town of Terlingua, I knew I would be going back to spend more time there. Being originally from Arizona, I love the desert mountains and canyons of the southwest and had no idea that west Texas could provide that. Now I have a place to stay when I decide to head west.

As for me full timing it, I sold my home last November and bought a sailboat to live aboard on the Gulf of Mexico (Aransas Bay). That'll really slow your life down when you travel at walking speed and, when the wind is brisk, there's nothing like the feel of that vessel heeling over about 15 degrees and she accelerates across the water with silence except for the sound of the wind in the sails.

I have learned how to appreciate life more since giving up my material life in exchange for simplicity and getting rid of useless, material things, or "Stuff" as George Carlin used to say. I can now haul everything that I own and I love that freedom.

I do love the sail boat experience!

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
When I first saw the topic, two words came to mind: "Bed Bugs". I don't even want to take a little bit of a chance of bringing any of them home with me. I also love the adjustable bed we put into our trailer. Plus, have you ever had a hotel/motel room next to an overly amorous couple? Not very relaxing. Besides, as many have said, it's the journey. When we come back from Utah or Colorado on I-15, there is a bottleneck between Vegas and well into California. We always take off onto the Joshua Tree highway. Much of the time it is actually quicker than the freeway. But the sights! You do have to take it slower because much of it is open range and cattle can be on the road. But you won't see any of that if you're fighting the traffic from Las Vegas going home to the LA area.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

roadjunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
When we 'announced' we were going to hit the road FT, sell the S&B and EVERYTHING our family/friends were pro/con.

Her brothers were divided.....1 is a avid camper/backpacker/hiker and he was jealous. The others were home bodies and just couldn't comprehend the idea of no Home.
My brother was like that also, my sister was envious---she had spent many years traveling working/living in motels so she got it.

Friends were confused....sell your house and live in a 5th wheel. Then they saw the 5th wheel after we brought it home and after a couple of conversations about WHAT we were planning on doing (traveling the back roads...seeing the USA) they wished us well and a couple of them began checking out FT RVng, but they were several years out from retirement.

Even some campers we have visited with across the USA didn't get it.

I don't get the fascination with video games or tweeting/snapchat or any of those other things that keep folks faces glued to their phones :H :S

Good for you, Old-Biscuit. I just bought a small TT last week and am heading back to Texas with it in tow for a change of pace now. After spending a couple of weeks in Big Bend National Park, and the ghost town of Terlingua, I knew I would be going back to spend more time there. Being originally from Arizona, I love the desert mountains and canyons of the southwest and had no idea that west Texas could provide that. Now I have a place to stay when I decide to head west.

As for me full timing it, I sold my home last November and bought a sailboat to live aboard on the Gulf of Mexico (Aransas Bay). That'll really slow your life down when you travel at walking speed and, when the wind is brisk, there's nothing like the feel of that vessel heeling over about 15 degrees and she accelerates across the water with silence except for the sound of the wind in the sails.

I have learned how to appreciate life more since giving up my material life in exchange for simplicity and getting rid of useless, material things, or "Stuff" as George Carlin used to say. I can now haul everything that I own and I love that freedom.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I belong to the folks that do 300 to 350 miles a day. I have done more when needed but that is what we prefer.

We rarely plan ahead because there is always something to see on the way. About 4:30 or 5:00 we pull up the Good Sam's computer site for the local campground.

We go from point A to point B when we get there. If we have a specific time or date we plan as needed.

The point is not everyone has the time, money or desire to poke along in an RV.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
At home there is always something that must get done, camping much less so.
Adventure before dementia

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
As a believer in the 230 miles or it's 2:30 p.m. rule, I'm sorry for those that are road warriors...as if "notching" miles on your steering wheel is important.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad