cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Never heard of a warranty like this

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Getting a propane tank filled at my favorite RV shop today. The shop is real small, he mostly fixes things. Man comes in and buys couple packages of "RV toilet paper". Man wasn't happy with credit card receipt and wanted an itemized receipt. Man said he needed receipt that listed by item what he actually bought. Then he said to keep his warranty good he needed proof that he was using "rv toilet paper".

After the man left I said to shop owner...Never heard of that before and I doubt using or not using "rv toilet paper" effects anybody warranty. The shop owner said, this last month a couple people have asked, so maybe true?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
22 REPLIES 22

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
If worried about it in the black tank, use a long rod paint stirrer with an electric drill, place down the toilet and let spin.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Been RVing in some form or fashion most of my life. Have never used RV specific TP and have yet to have an issue. it's a manufactured problem to sell a product and create a loophole to deny coverage.
2013 ACE 29.2

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
What a bunch of krap! LOL ๐Ÿ˜›

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
UNBELIEVABLE............

Matt_Colie wrote:
This is real...

Thetford used to specify RV toilet paper because it has low wet strength. Good wet strength paper can clog valves and things and is very hard to get clear when it does.

We carry a clean peanut butter jar. If we have to by paper on the road, it gets tested. Put a sheet in half the jar of water. Give it a shake, if you can still see the paper, GET another kind. It doesn't need to be "RV Toilet Paper". But if you clog the system, you are in for a very bad day.

Matt
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Mont_G_J
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the selling dealer told him using RV toilet paper would help prevent a stoppage in the black tank outlet, and if it did become stopped-up, it would not be covered by warranty.

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
Well, everyone says that RV warranties aren't worth the paper that they are written on, so maybe he needed a roll to reload the dealers printer.

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blue Dog RV has a "forever" warranty and they have to do all the regular maintenance items to keep it in effect. It also has a bunch of requirements. My Dad got his trailer there and that was one of the selling points. I had told him it would cost him more both in time and money... he had his bearings repacked at another outfit, no patience for the Blue Dog RV dealer... It would not surprise me if certain toilet paper was in their list of things required. I doubt that anyone would ever keep all the requirements so no risk for dealer..

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Dutch. Special RV TP is unnecessary and adequate water is essential.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I take you haven't seen the various TP disintegration tests that have been done numerous times. The common off the shelf septic tank safe TP brands typically perform as well or better than the more costly "RV TP" brands.

Sure, there are some TP's not labeled RV that do just fine. Septic tanks are rather rare where I live so might be more limited TP's in stores here. I use Scott rapid dissolve 2 ply TP which is $3 for 4 rolls at Walmart. Seems to work better than some of the more common TP's found at Camping World etc.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch is absolutely correct.
If the TP is labeled "Safe For Septic Tanks" or "Septic system Safe" or any permutation thereof, it is safe for RV holding tanks.
However, expanding on the "safe" issue, so-called "flushable wipes" are NOT RV holding tanks safe, nor are they septic system safe, nor are they municipal sewer system safe. They do not dissolve, EVER!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
RV paper disintegrates easily with contact with water. Regular paper often bunches up in wads which can clog RV tanks, plumbing and valves. I've not seen that stated as part of a warranty but makes sense.

I take you haven't seen the various TP disintegration tests that have been done numerous times. The common off the shelf septic tank safe TP brands typically perform as well or better than the more costly "RV TP" brands. We've used Charmin Ultra Soft in our RV's for years with no problems. It may not break down quite as quick as some of the single ply TP brands, but it's still plenty fast enough for everyday use with no clogging. The key to keeping RV waste tanks from clogging, regardless of the paper used, is using sufficient flush water.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
RV paper disintegrates easily with contact with water. Regular paper often bunches up in wads which can clog RV tanks, plumbing and valves. I've not seen that stated as part of a warranty but makes sense.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
This is real...

Thetford used to specify RV toilet paper because it has low wet strength. Good wet strength paper can clog valves and things and is very hard to get clear when it does.

We carry a clean peanut butter jar. If we have to by paper on the road, it gets tested. Put a sheet in half the jar of water. Give it a shake, if you can still see the paper, GET another kind. It doesn't need to be "RV Toilet Paper". But if you clog the system, you are in for a very bad day.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Donn, speak up! Don't mumble! What?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad