cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TAIL LIGHTS REPAIR

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced the marker and tail lights on my older travel trailer.Well everything went fine till I did the last tail light.I can get the signal to turn on but no light.Also it seemed to knock out the 4 lights above the trailer and one side marker.
I don't know if I hooked it up right.There were 2 white wires coming out of trailer,and the light itself had 2 white wires I connected them together.Maybe I did something wrong like I said the turn signal works fine.
10 REPLIES 10

John_Wayne
Explorer
Explorer
Is the tail light you bought for tail lights and directional lights with only two wires (one power one ground) your missing a wire for directional. Or you need to run a ground wire to the tail light assembly it's self. Try a ground wire from a light assemble screw to a ground on the trailer frame.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
On mine I think the white are ground the blue are running lights as in tail lights and clearance lights. The stop and blinker I don't remember the color.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
jarata1 wrote:
what puzzles me is the turn signal works in the tail light just not the driving light

Running lights and turn signal/stops have no relationship to the running lights. Totally different circuits.

A good rule of thumb is if everything worked before I touched it, and it doesn't now, It's something I goofed up.
I would retrace my steps and take apart those lights you opened up.

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
jarata1 wrote:
yes
maybe that's my problem

Sounds like you shorted out the lighting by tying those two light wires together.
Kennyg

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
yes
maybe that's my problem

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
You say you hooked all 4 white wires together?

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
what puzzles me is the turn signal works in the tail light just not the driving light

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
So some of your trailers running lights work but others dont? If so it, isn't a fuse.
The lights are daisy-chained from one to the next. Your missing the connection at one of the lights.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
where would that fuse be I'm thinking I messed up the ground

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like you blew a fuse
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB