cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

trip to Mi.

rhadley53
Explorer
Explorer
Going to Mi from Iowa. Is 80 thru Chicago ok? 1st part of June.
Rick 08 Seneca 36MS
15 Jeep Grand Cherokee dingy
5 REPLIES 5

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
Driven it many many times. I-80 never an issue but I-90 and I-94 are another story. Get an I-Pass and you don't even have to stop for tolls. It works in 15 other states, too. I-PASS
Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

Klbc
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, intense but doable. Just be alert and know it's only a short period of time that you go through the mess. We have to go through there to visit our son.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
While it goes much better before 6 AM on a Sunday, most of the time I hit this stretch of I-80/I-90/I-94 between 10 AM and 2 PM. Traffic is typically heavy and moving at or above speed limits, from I-55 to Portage (or Benton Harbor if you are going on into Michigan). Driving can be intense, because traffic is moving fast.

There are other times of day that congestion from commuter traffic will slow things to a crawl (and all it takes is one stupid move causing an accident).

For what it is worth, you do not go through Chicago on I-80, this is the bypass. I-88 and I-90 go through, and those are a lot more pain. I know, I lived on the north side for several years and had to go out east and west often.

Going into Michigan, I-94 from Portage to Benton Harbor is a lot more crazy, with traffic speeds from just under the speed limit to over 100 mph. I settle into the right lane to move with the big trucks.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Rangerman40 wrote:
Can you do it..... sure. It's going to suck at just about any hour of the day though.

Maybe BEFORE 6AM or AFTER 10PM.

Weekends are better.

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Can you do it..... sure. It's going to suck at just about any hour of the day though.