Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maintance on new 6.7 Ram

rmoparman
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
Just looked up oil change on the 6,7 Diesel. What a pain were they put oil filter.
Sure thought my old 5.9 was hard.
Easy compared to this thing
40 REPLIES 40

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Learjet wrote:
I have been wondering the same thing, I might only use 4wd once or twice when on gravel or grass just to exercise it between oil changes. Do I really need to grease it every oil change when it is not really used? seems over kill to me in my situation.

IMHO it's a waste of time if you rarely use 4wd with the front axle disconnect. Every 30K or so would be plenty.

This is what I'm thinking as well. This is another maintenance item on these trucks that is a complete PITA.

On another note I changed my front differential fluid last weekend and was shocked at the amount of moisture in there. Enough that the fluid was slightly milky looking and I was wiping a rust like sludge off of the bottom of the pumpkin. I was wondering if there was a problem with the vent tube but it was just fine. I guess I need to run the truck in 4wd more often and long enough to heat the front diff up. For anyone who has a few miles and haven't performed this service yet I recommend you do it ASAP. I did a search and found a topic about this on a Ram/Cummins forum with several reporting the same issue so I'm certainly not alone.

Interesting! We changed my Sons front diff fluid at 30K and it actually had water in it. We assumed it was from setting at the body shop with front end damage and water had somehow entered the diff. He never went offload in deep water.

Absolutely no off road for my truck at all; it's a pavement queen! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Learjet wrote:
I have been wondering the same thing, I might only use 4wd once or twice when on gravel or grass just to exercise it between oil changes. Do I really need to grease it every oil change when it is not really used? seems over kill to me in my situation.

IMHO it's a waste of time if you rarely use 4wd with the front axle disconnect. Every 30K or so would be plenty.

This is what I'm thinking as well. This is another maintenance item on these trucks that is a complete PITA.

On another note I changed my front differential fluid last weekend and was shocked at the amount of moisture in there. Enough that the fluid was slightly milky looking and I was wiping a rust like sludge off of the bottom of the pumpkin. I was wondering if there was a problem with the vent tube but it was just fine. I guess I need to run the truck in 4wd more often and long enough to heat the front diff up. For anyone who has a few miles and haven't performed this service yet I recommend you do it ASAP. I did a search and found a topic about this on a Ram/Cummins forum with several reporting the same issue so I'm certainly not alone.

Interesting! We changed my Sons front diff fluid at 30K and it actually had water in it. We assumed it was from setting at the body shop with front end damage and water had somehow entered the diff. He never went offload in deep water.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Had my pumpkins serviced at around 23,000 miles. Have not used 4 wheel yet with almost 30,000 miles.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Learjet wrote:

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Learjet wrote:

Yup, we agree, why bother every oil change . I am about to 30K ,and will grease it accordingly. Is there a reason why JUST that joint, and not others ?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Learjet wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Electric CAD was added back in on later 4th gen trucks.

Here is info from BD's two low kit.

2 Low UnLoc - Dodge 4wd 1500 2009-2017 / 2500 2014-2017 / 3500 2013-2017
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I found my 15's with no issue.

You sure did! AFTER you had the drive line out of the truck and in your hand!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰

HAAA. Finding it was easy, getting the grease into it was not! Yes I did remove it!

My 11 without a ZERK was fine at 65k at trade. I will grease every 25-30k. It's very rare I ever use 4wd.

Unless you have the free spin hub kit...that front driveshaft spins all the time regardless of 4wd use or not.

Not on the Gen 4 trucks. The axles don't engage until you engage the 4X4.

Thanks for answering, you beat me to it!!! Actually the disconnect started in 2013, I think???

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

You sure did! AFTER you had the drive line out of the truck and in your hand!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰

HAAA. Finding it was easy, getting the grease into it was not! Yes I did remove it!

My 11 without a ZERK was fine at 65k at trade. I will grease every 25-30k. It's very rare I ever use 4wd.

Unless you have the free spin hub kit...that front driveshaft spins all the time regardless of 4wd use or not.

Not on the Gen 4 trucks. The axles don't engage until you engage the 4X4.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
Bigger pain in the rear is greasing the front driveshaft.

Yep. I had a spare mini grease gun in the garage so I bought a grease needle fitting and now that that gun dedicated just to this purpose. Also, once I found the indentation I put a dab of red paint on the coupler to make it easier to find the next time.

The real trick is you have to slide the needle to the bottom of the indentation and then feel an extra nudge when the spring loaded ball compresses. If you don't feel that nudge you'll just squirt grease everywhere. When the ball opens and you squeeze the gun you'll hear the grease moving over the splines.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021