Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding 2nd awning on Voltage 3200 over rear entry door

Protector
Explorer
Explorer
Hello folks,

I am kicking myself for not doing this when we ordered our Voltage 3200, and now I want to add one, so I found retailer that sells the 10 foot awning for Keystonen and they contacted Keystone/ Dutchman customer service to see if in deed I could add the awning and I did not get a Yes or No they said this" I would advise against adding the awning unless you are sure there is proper backing behind the wall. This is the customers unit and this can be modified and added, but keep in mind that the project will no be simple because you will want to get visual confirmation of backing before securing an awning to it."

I am capable of installing the awning, getting power to it, what I am not sure of if there enough backing has anyone had any experience adding an awning??
I tried a stud finder looking for studs or some sort backing supports had no luck. Thinking about finding someone with thermal imager. any suggestions or advice
2011 Ford F-350 Crew cab, short bed King Ranch 6.7 Diesel
2012 Voltage 3200 TH
2010 Polaris RZR LE
12 REPLIES 12

Protector
Explorer
Explorer
Lightfoot, Thanks for the quick response!!
2012 Voltage 3200 TH
2010 Polaris RZR LE

Protector
Explorer
Explorer
MartyMoose wrote:
Hey Protector,
What is the name of the retailer and approx cost? I have been wanting to do the same so my Road Warrior.
What are you getting the power from?

Thanks!

Marty Moose,
I have no problem getting power in the back, there is entertainment system, and power for the happi jack bed system. I have some pictures of it, but I not up to speed on posting pics on here.

This is who Keystone told me to contact:
Tiara RV Sales & Service
Elkhart, Indiana 46514
Awning - Hardware - Adjustable Pitch - Black - Standard - Single Set $693.34/set
Awning - 10' - Single Side - Black/Gray - Travel'r Electric $236.90/ea.
www.tiararvsales.com
2012 Voltage 3200 TH
2010 Polaris RZR LE

lightfoot
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is 7" C2C between the 2 on the right and 95.5 C2C for the awning.
USN EN2
2012 Ford F250 SC, 6.7L TD
2015 Voltage 3200
2004 Honda GL1800 Reverse Trike

Protector
Explorer
Explorer
Great picture, If I could ask,could you get a measurement center to center on of the rails? I should be okay with structural support towards the rear, As I have the Happi jack bed rail on the backside and should be a good point of attachment and is in the same area as the as your left support arm. I am just not sure about finding any support between the door jamb and the other awning support on the right side?

Thanks in advance!!
2012 Voltage 3200 TH
2010 Polaris RZR LE

lightfoot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2015 3200 with the 2 awnings on the side and the one in the back. Here is a picture of the one on the side. Hope it helps you get an idea where the arms would be located.

USN EN2
2012 Ford F250 SC, 6.7L TD
2015 Voltage 3200
2004 Honda GL1800 Reverse Trike

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
im considering the same thing on my carbon, it appears it has every option but the rear awning. I have even considered installing a non electric unit over the rear door, but don't know if ill like having arms bolted to the side.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

MartyMoose
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Protector,
What is the name of the retailer and approx cost? I have been wanting to do the same so my Road Warrior.
What are you getting the power from?

Thanks!
2014 Heartland 305RW Road Warrior

2012 Ford F250 Lariat

mr__old_style
Explorer
Explorer
I ran bolts all the way through the wall and had a piece of aluminum plate on the inside, painted to match the interior walls.

Protector
Explorer
Explorer
Good point Joe.
2012 Voltage 3200 TH
2010 Polaris RZR LE

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've found on a damp morning before the sun gets on the side of the RV, the outline of the studs is clearly visible.

Protector
Explorer
Explorer
Yes side entry door, That was my thought finding someone with a thermal imaging camera. You would think that the mfg. could look at some drawings and tell you yes or no there is structural support but I guess it is not that simple??
2012 Voltage 3200 TH
2010 Polaris RZR LE

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Your talking side entry door not rear ramp door right.

My thought is the structure should be there if it was a factory option. They only build 1 wall. They dont build a wall for the awning and a wall without the awning. Findin what structural memebers are in the area needed are easy via thermal imaging or even condensation in cool mornings.

The bugger is the electrical
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler