cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on MSW vs PSW inverter

sd1209
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Lance TC and am looking at installing a GoPower 600W modified sine wave inverter that I have had for about a year, never installed. I want to be able to power small items like phone charger and Direct TV box. Maybe small 120v lamp while boondocking. I understand the limitations of a small 600W inverter.

Do I need to get a PSW inverter for these things? I looked into powering an electric blanket and found most need a PSW but I was not certain about the phone charger and DTV box (HR44 model)....
Steve and Liz
Elko, Nv and San Diego, Ca
2017 Lance 1172
2016 F350 dually
2010 Jeep Wrangler
24 REPLIES 24

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
We added our $24 400 watt MSW inverter in 05. Never seen the magic smoke. Normal use we either are charging daytime or use for evening TV. TV, soundbar, dvd, sat box (HR 44), all on, max draw is ~45 watts.
Overhead to run the inverter is about 10% of load, generally less than 4 watts. Point being a 600 watt inverter for the items OP listed will never see anywhere near its capacity.

I had added several split shore/inverter receptacles for charging. But most items now will charge directly from the 12v so have since added several USB ports. Seemed silly to charge phones/ipads etc with inverter. Cept my laptop-it charges at 19v/4+ amps but found a charger that will do that from the 12v. So no longer use inverter for charging, primarily inverter now only used to power entertainment stuff.
Personally hard to justify spending more than what the item to be 'protected' costs- unless it smoked something, but hasnt. If I ever replace thouhg, Id go smaller PSW, I just dont have the loads so could afford the insurance.

However if you have item the 'requires' PSW, unless your planning on running second inverter for 'dumb' stuff seems question answered? If your in the process, thouhg likey 3/4 times the cost bite the bullet.

Am curious about an AC lamp? Perfect thouhg for the MSW.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Then why doesn't American smoke smell like barbecue?

I guess it could if you dripped some BBQ sauce in the air vents prior to roasting it...:D
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
burningman and a few other get it.

A large enough either MSW or PSW inverter turned on to provide 110 AC to your highest demand electrical item or even the lesser demand electrical items for a short run time like a microwave etc when using the higher output inverter, then turn off the large inverter and it draws zero watts. Period! Not wise to use a hairdryer off an inverter's battery bank unless the battery bank is HUGE as they are a direct high resistance short of the AC current and are usually 1800+ watts draw and will usually be run for over 5 to 10+ minutes and will deplete an average battery bank fast. Especially if more than one person uses it. Even worse than using an inverter to run an electric heating cube that is 1500 watts (5,000 BTU).

If wanting to charge low watt draw items, buy a cheap 100 to 400 watt inverter which has a much lower slave wattage draw and nearly all can be plugged into a 12V type lighter outlet. Smart to turn even them off also when not actually being used for AC use. No one says you can't also hardwire to your larger inverter's incoming 12V and have it right next to it so you can use the right tool for the task at hand.

This way you'll have the best of both worlds and the wisest use of your batteries stored energy.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
I use a 2000-watt PSW so I can run my microwave, I only need it for a minute or two. Works great!

I suppose that works but there needs to be a better way. When boondocking, which is almost always, I don't need 2000 watts or 170 amps draining my batteries. We rarely use the microwave except to store pots and pans. When I do want it, I start the generator. Heating some water, coffee, or warming food is almost as fast with the stove and does not drain the batteries.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Hey JimK-NY, I'm an ex-New Yorker, if Long Island counts haha..
The reason it makes sense is he mentioned using an inverter while boondocking which implies zero hookups.
Also, the inverter may be capable of a 600-watt max but he won't be constantly pulling that much.
I use a 2000-watt PSW so I can run my microwave, I only need it for a minute or two. Works great!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP, While PSW does provide cleaner power I've used MSW for all of the equipment you mentioned in 2 rigs since 2004. TVs, audio equipment, MW and DTV receivers including the current HR44, phone charging, laptops, MiFi, cell amplifier, tablets, etc. That included a Apple phone that the GCs now use.

There is no reason not to use your existing MSW inverter.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
sd1209 wrote:
I have a Lance TC and am looking at installing a GoPower 600W modified sine wave inverter that I have had for about a year, never installed. I want to be able to power small items like phone charger and Direct TV box. Maybe small 120v lamp while boondocking. I understand the limitations of a small 600W inverter.

Do I need to get a PSW inverter for these things? I looked into powering an electric blanket and found most need a PSW but I was not certain about the phone charger and DTV box (HR44 model)....

I do not understand this post. If you are using shore power or a generator then you already have 120v power. If not, why would you even consider pulling 600 watts from your batteries? That is a huge power drain; i.e., at full capacity, 50 amps!! If you want to power a 110 volt phone charger, you are going to waste a ton of battery power. Inverters are very inefficient. Your 600 watt inverter will waste way more power than you use to charge your batteries. Get a 12 volt charger or if absolutely necessary get a small inverter. You don't need a sine wave inverter to charge batteries.

Why would you even consider a 120 volt lamp? There are endless choices for highly efficient 12 volt LED lighting.

Personally I would give the inverter away or just toss it.

Bedlam
Then why doesn't American smoke smell like barbecue?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
HAHAHAHAhahahaha....
That's the best thing I've ever seen on RV.net and I've been here over a decade!

I, for one, can certainly 'test' the smoke emitting capabilities of Harbor Freight power tools. Did it plenty of times in the past. It's interesting that Chinese motors, when the emit smoke, the smoke has an odd smell... Smells like overcooked rice....:E
2015 Backpack SS1500

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
HAHAHAHAhahahaha....
That's the best thing I've ever seen on RV.net and I've been here over a decade!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
deltabravo wrote:

I shared an office with one of the other customer service techs. When people would call up and say "it smoked", he'd tell them they needed to take it to the smoke doctor so the smoke could be put back in.

It can be done, replacement Smoke!

I've looked all around Harbor Freight and I cannot seem to find the above mentioned 'replacement smoke'. Must be a special order item??:B
2015 Backpack SS1500

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
deltabravo wrote:

I shared an office with one of the other customer service techs. When people would call up and say "it smoked", he'd tell them they needed to take it to the smoke doctor so the smoke could be put back in.

It can be done, replacement Smoke!

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
sd1209 wrote:

GoPower is excellent inverter but I think you should trade the 600 watt MSW for a 300 watt SW maybe just 150 watt would power what you describe.

If you have space behind the breaker/fuse panel you can use the main 12v feed to get battery power and a small transfer switch to power a single branch circuit and have the existing outlets powered. No pulling wire or annoying extension cords. GP does have a provision to add a remote power switch.

http://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/go-power-gp-sw300-12-inverter

http://www.donrowe.com/KISAE-TS15A-Automatic-Transfer-Switch-p/ts15a.htm

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Don't attempt to run Apple products on MSW. It lets out the magic blue smoke.

LOL. Very true. Same with Dewalt chargers.

I used to work at Heart Interface back in the 90s. Heart (and all other inverter manufacturers in the PNW) got bought out and became Xantrex.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator