cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up an Andersen WDH

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
New Grand Design TT (2670MK), Andersen "No-Sway" hitch. The truck in my sig (yes, it has 17" "E" tires). Andersen instructions are rather vague about proper adjustment for weight transfer, essentially "just eyeball that truck and trailer are level". Considering that my unloaded truck is a bit tail high to start....I'm unsure where to put my level to verify - on the bed?
Did measure the front wheel well height. With full load of the trailer, and no WD, the wheel well rises 3/8 inch above unloaded. After really cranking down the WD (9 threads, as those with Andersens may know), it currently is at 1/8th above unloaded.
In a short drive, it seemed a little "wiggly", but no sway from semi's passing me. Only prior towing had been a lot with a small Jayco fifth, and a 3,000 boat, so unsure as to how "solid" (or not) a long, heavy TT should be as compared.
Is there a better way to rough it in, before I can get to a scale to really verify?
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
9 REPLIES 9

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
What goducks said. I concentrated my effort with my f150 and Andersen WDH on getting the trailer level. A big part of that was following the Andersen instructions closely on which holes on the drop to mount the ball portion. My trailer tows best with a 2/3 load of fresh water and about 400 lbs of gear in the bed of the truck, obviously that sort of thing will vary widely depending on the rig, but it took a bit of trial and error to dial that in.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need your truck to be level. You just need the front returned to near it's original height. The ford manual will tell you exactly where you need to be. The TT needs to be level or if you're not on perfectly level ground, parallel. You need to measure from the ground up to the frame on the TT. Don't use a level unless the ground is level.
With your HD Ford you shouldn't be having the wobble issue. The problem with that TT is everything heavy will be in the rear of it. It already has a marginal TW. I'm thinking you're tongue is too light.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
You are probably right at the max for the Andersen.
The number of threads only matters to your set up. Compression of the bushing is more important. Should be around 1/4" or so.
Does your truck manual have instructions for setting up a WDH? I followed mine and got great results.
Good luck.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately the Anderson might not be the right hitch for you. Many people report being unable to transfer enough tongue weight with heavier trailers. It seems best suited for tongue weights under 600lbs.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Flapper wrote:
Bet I'm near 900-1K lbs now....

Unfortunately, you are at or over the limits of the Andersen hitch. What does your F-150 say on the matter of weight distribution requirements? I know, Andersen says 10,000 pound trailers and Ford says 11,000 towing capacity, but I think both are overstatements. (Lies?)

Those us with lighter trailers and/or stouter tow vehicles usually get good results with the Andersen hitch. "Wobbly" steering is not what we are after.

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Captain_Happy wrote:
If you've 3/8" front end rise after setting up the Andersen WDH I'd say your in the ballpark. Really the best thing to do is try different amount of turns until you find your sweet spot. I've got one and love it.

Actually, I was 3/8" with full weight, but chains loose. 1/8" after tightening them to "9".

On the drive home from the dealer, I estimate the tongue was around 750 lbs. At 3 threads steering was really wobbly, so I pulled over and went to 6. Hence why after filling the trailer with stuff, it seemed appropriate to go even more. Bet I'm near 900-1K lbs now....
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
If you've 3/8" front end rise after setting up the Andersen WDH I'd say your in the ballpark. Really the best thing to do is try different amount of turns until you find your sweet spot. I've got one and love it.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Flapper wrote:
New Grand Design TT (2670MK), Andersen "No-Sway" hitch. The truck in my sig (yes, it has 17" "E" tires). Andersen instructions are rather vague about proper adjustment for weight transfer, essentially "just eyeball that truck and trailer are level". Considering that my unloaded truck is a bit tail high to start....I'm unsure where to put my level to verify - on the bed?
Did measure the front wheel well height. With full load of the trailer, and no WD, the wheel well rises 3/8 inch above unloaded. After really cranking down the WD (9 threads, as those with Andersens may know), it currently is at 1/8th above unloaded.
In a short drive, it seemed a little "wiggly", but no sway from semi's passing me. Only prior towing had been a lot with a small Jayco fifth, and a 3,000 boat, so unsure as to how "solid" (or not) a long, heavy TT should be as compared.
Is there a better way to rough it in, before I can get to a scale to really verify?

What I would do is back off from the 9 threads until you notice any deterioration in handling. I got the best results with between 1/8" and 3/16" of bushing compression. 3/8" rise in your front end is not a lot to start with.