cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Greyhound Sceniccruiser

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone on this site run a 1950's or 60's Greyhound scenic cruiser as a motor home?

I'd like to know your experiences with it how you acquired it and what it costs you to run.

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:
As I recall they had dual engines also. They had a mechabism to sychronize the 2 motors back then.

Only when they were new. The twin 4 cylinders were pretty quickly replaced with a single V8 engine that was to debut in it, but wasn't ready.
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who responded. I know about all the sites and stuff devoted to the Scenic cruiser and seen most of the videos on U tube before I posted this.

I was specifically looking for someone on this forum. But thanks for all the info.

mlslcan
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the link to MIghtyThor's scenicruiser
http://forums.trailerlife.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25808899.cfm

Mike

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
As I recall they had dual engines also. They had a mechabism to sychronize the 2 motors back then.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

path1
Explorer
Explorer
At one time those thoughts entered my mind and pleasantly. But I did find some info here.

http://www.busnut.com/home.html
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeroo wrote:
I'm sure there have been and are folks doing it. But you better have an extensive shop to take on a project like that. Old engine and tranny designs were built like the proverbial tank, but in most cases the items were extremely heavy (read less than fuel efficient) and lacked the more modern controls to improve function. Also the old operators tended to run those things till they were pretty worn out, Even if the drive trains were still in reasonably good shape, redesigning everything from front end suspension to steering systems will be a bear to find parts for. You may end up with a heluva conversation piece which you could well be proud of, but I suspect the cost both in money and time would be extensive.

Yep, but there are those who dare to be different, regardless of the cost and it's effectiveness, with the end result.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
My dad bought a 1962 eagle 3 axle bus in 1988 with Detroit 6-71 and 4 spd manual trans. 3 yrs of conversion and sweat and blood and he had a MH. He probably spent $50k in parts after $22k purchase price. It weighed about 38k lbs with the Detroit 8-92 and Allison 5spd auto. He drove it everywhere in MX and Canada and USA. It was parked in my back yard from 2011 to 2014 when he passed. I put 2 new 8D Batts in it and it started right up. A guy came by from a Craigslist ad and drove it away for $5k. Had 3 roof a/c, washer dryer, 12kw Kubota dsl gen with 100 hrs. My wife was overjoyed when it drove away!!! BTW my dad claimed to get 11 to 12 mpg.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is an entire RV community of converted over the road buses. You might spend a quality evening on google checking into the community.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
There was a fella on this forum that purchased one and it was even on a tv show called shipping wars that he had ship it to him. I thought his user name her was mightythor but it turned up nothing. You might be able to google shipping wars and pull up the episode if interisted. Here is a pic from the show I found.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure there have been and are folks doing it. But you better have an extensive shop to take on a project like that. Old engine and tranny designs were built like the proverbial tank, but in most cases the items were extremely heavy (read less than fuel efficient) and lacked the more modern controls to improve function. Also the old operators tended to run those things till they were pretty worn out, Even if the drive trains were still in reasonably good shape, redesigning everything from front end suspension to steering systems will be a bear to find parts for. You may end up with a heluva conversation piece which you could well be proud of, but I suspect the cost both in money and time would be extensive.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
There are several videos on YouTube about the Greyhound Scenicruiser.

Maybe they have some useful information?

The are cool rigs.