cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

where to get a used chair lift

BRAD247
Explorer
Explorer
i need a used chair lift to help get my dad into our class a motor home any idea where to go to find one
thanks
11 REPLIES 11

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
trying to figure out the quote option............ADA generally covers public accommodation requirements for businesses. I have not known it to provide financial resources to requesting individuals. Medicade and medicare do provide durable medical equipment such as wheelchairs and walkers and occasionally scooters. The rules for provision are limiting and intrusive. I have found that if I need a solution for my wife, purchasing directly from a supplier without aid of Medicare/insurance is expeditious and in most cases cheaper

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
happycamper002 wrote:
I assume your search for used one is saving money. Your dad's situation (I am sorry to hear that) may be covered by ADA (American Disabilities Act). I'm not familiar with your area about getting this government aid but here in CA., it seems relatively hassle-free in getting this help. It is probably because a lot of them are made locally.

There are even brand new vans that are stripped to bare chassis
where lift chairs are customized according to the person's need.

This is presidential act that covers all Americans not just Californians. Signed by George W.

Probably, for the price of a used one you would probably pay a small portion for a brand new unit because the government subsidizes this expense. . .you may even get it free.

Look under government services for agencies that might be able to help.

All the best

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
BRAD247 wrote:
i need a used chair lift to help get my dad into our class a motor home any idea where to go to find one
thanks

Previous suggestions - and try RV salvage yards.

IIRC - you can find a complete "countrywide" list.

*If* a yard has one, they should be able to give details, and provide
shipping.
Obviously - you're "on the hook" -once you purchase- if it isn't what you want.

Also - try the Escapee forums. Lots of retired and full-time folks there.

No doubt there's many lifts that are no longer needed, but how to "connect" with a seller is the problem.
Try calling mobility scooter dealers (even if they don't sell lifts)
and ask.

Good luck with your search.

~

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
When we were disposing of our wheelchair lifts, they were still attached to the vehicle. In other words, we never transfered the lifts between vans; they require too much maintenance when you try to transfer them.

We'd suggest you check for funding with aid agencies like Vocational Rehabilitation, but a Class A motor home is considered by most agencies to be a luxury recreational item, not a requirement for Activities of Daily Living (the normal standard for providing funding -- Medicare, etc.). But, they may know of vans or lifts being retired; so might the local mobility equipment dealers (Google NMEDA).

If you need more info, PM us. DW is both a retired Vocational Rehab supervisor, a full-time wheelchair user (post-polio quad), and a custom-built Class C owner (Born Free 26' with Ricon split-platform rear lift).

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Watch for estate sales. That's when we got rid of my MILs for $100. They had it for 20+ yrs tho.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
I assume your search for used one is saving money. Your dad's situation (I am sorry to hear that) may be covered by ADA (American Disabilities Act). I'm not familiar with your area about getting this government aid but here in CA., it seems relatively hassle-free in getting this help. It is probably because a lot of them are made locally.

There are even brand new vans that are stripped to bare chassis
where lift chairs are customized according to the person's need.

This is presidential act that covers all Americans not just Californians. Signed by George W.

Probably, for the price of a used one you would probably pay a small portion for a brand new unit because the government subsidizes this expense. . .you may even get it free.

Look under government services for agencies that might be able to help.

All the best

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A new chair may be in order. The Outdoor models seem to be $2k+. RVing isn't cheap sometimes.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
BRAD247 wrote:
i have been trying google and craigslist for month now with no luck
thanks for trying

Possibly people tend to keep them or sell them by word of mouth when they decide to sell one?

How about an auto salvage/wrecking yard?. Maybe they run across them.

BRAD247
Explorer
Explorer
i have been trying google and craigslist for month now with no luck
thanks for trying

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I would check ebay and Craigslist in addition to your local newspaper.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Try Googling the question. Much larger audience than this Forum.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)