cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Torsion axle v spring axle

bluefishgary
Explorer
Explorer
Ok lets try this. How much does a spring axle go up and down??
How much does a torsion axle go up and down??
Does a spring have more travle or the torsion have more?

Better ride spring or torsion?
Just so you all know my trailer is a 3 axle torsion axle rides very good
My weight is 12,000lbs. I am think about shocks.Even if there is no kit
I can build what I need. My last trailer a 2 axle @ 10,000 I put shocks
made a BIG differance. ok Lets the games begin. Thanks Gary
2019 Ford DRW C/C
2017 Vintage with living quarters 44'3 Axle
I caught a fish once -it was fun
24 REPLIES 24

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Dexter now has a series of axles that are approved for triple axle use. They are designated with "T" at the end of their axle size, such as 12T, 13T and 14T.

Oldfordman
Explorer
Explorer
One advantage of the torsion axle with swing arm is lack of "bump steer". When the lead wheel on one side of the trailer encounters a bump that the other side's lead wheel doesn't run over on irregular road surface, the wheel in it's "Up" travel is steered out. This is because the leaf spring, as it's arch is straightened from the bump, effectively gets longer from pivot point and axle attachment point. This may cause the trailer to steer slightly to one side or another and it's compounded when the second axle does the opposite as it encounters the same bump. How much this may contribute to overall trailer "sway" is dependent on other factors as well but it's part of the overall issue.

Torsion axles with swing arms hold the wheel in the same direction as it goes through it's entire "bump travel".

To me the torsion spring equipped trailer tracks far better than leaf springs with equalizers.
Life is full of choices. I choose to have fun!:)

Bedlam
Much of the torsion travel is dictated by the length of the arms used. In the leaf spring world, longer springs typically allow for more travel.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Torsion axles (rubber dampened) don't have anywhere near the suspension travel a leaf sprung axle has. Not to mention if the trailer is not perfectly level when towing one axle will be loaded more than the other. I would take the heavier duty leaf spring system and add a rubber isolated equalizer system then you will have the best of both worlds. More suspension travel and smoother ride.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
durb wrote:
If I recall, Dexter does not recommend Torflex for triple axle applications.

I've read that from Dexter also. When I read the OP post I was wondering if his trailer had Dexters torsion axles ands how the trailer mfg got around Dexters recommendations.
However there are several torsion type axle mfg on the market.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Torsion is essentially an independent suspension. Superior to leaf (as we find it) in every way. Lower roll center, in essence. Think of it as wider track: wheel face at each axle end, versus leaf axle attach point some ways in from same.

Greater wheel travel, for starters.

Greater resistance to being upset, greater ability to smoothly handle broken surfaces, winds, etc.

And, it's pretty much irrelevant what OTHER types of trailers use; as in, make your high speed comparisons only with a TT.

One-piece beam versus thirty-or-so pieces on a single leaf. Last longer, and with no real maintenance.

A torsion axle is always an upgrade. It should be standard on a TT, but we live in the land of the clueless.

It must be towed level. Measure at home, and (as with any TT) get split Axle readings on CAT Scale to dial in. Scale operator can guide you on doing split reading.

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
bluefishgary wrote:
Ok lets try this. How much does a spring axle go up and down??
How much does a torsion axle go up and down??

Depends on how fast you travel and over what type of road surface, and how much the trailer weighs.
Bob

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Here is a pic of my snowmobile trailer, with the low riding torsion suspension.

Jerry

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My snowmobile trailer with torsion suspension, rides nice, tows nice, and with wide stance axles, no sway, with no WDH needed. It is all aluminum, and has a 3,800 lb CCC. It sets low, for easy drive in/out.

For my FW, my leaf springs, with Equa-Flex works great in that application. I like having the high clearance. It all comes down to trailers use, as to what works best.

Jerry

Bedlam
I prefer the torsion axles on my car hauler due to lower deck height for mild break over angles at the ramp and independent suspension movement at each wheel for better handling and ride.

I did upgrade from LRD tires and rims to LRE after my original set wore out at 30K miles knowing that an individual wheel may be taking the brunt of the load on one side, but this is rare unless you are doing nothing but off-road towing or you are towing off-level. I didn't have problems with my LRD wheels, but there was minimal cost to go to the higher rating and I hope to get better wear and puncture resistance with the heavier tires.

My car trailer is rated at 9900 lbs with dual 5200 lb torsion axles to keep it from being classified commercial (anything over 10K lbs in my state). I am typically loaded at 6000-8000 lbs and have not felt a need for shocks with this setup. My Weekend Warrior had dual 5600 lb spring axles and could have benefited from shocks since I was pretty close to axle and spring limits and could see the oscillations.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I'm not sure what the question is, really. How do you know how "smooth" the trailer rides?
I've towed likely over 100 different trailers with both types of axles. Never give it a second thought. Shocks? What for? If you need shocks the trailer is overloaded. It should have enough spring rate to not look like a bobber fishing for bluegills.

Not sure how you dont know...and if you dont...others around you and behind you sure do!

And shocks dampen spring movement, they are in no way related to the spring or spring rate other than having too much or too little dampening for the given weight and spring.

I added shocks to my TT last Fall, the first time doing so on any trailer, and I am super impressed. No bounce at all. It rides like its on a sheet of glass...well as much as my SUV does anyway. Highly recommended where possible!

Cant add shocks to a torsion spring axle, but then again, you would never need to. The rubber acts as the spring and dampener, all in one.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Shocks? What for? If you need shocks the trailer is overloaded. It should have enough spring rate to not look like a bobber fishing for bluegills.

In Europe shocks are correctly called dampers. The purpose of the dampers are to control spring rebound. When a spring is compressed by a bump in the road it will quickly return to its normal position and somewhat farther. This will be the oscillations one sees when "shocks" are worn out. The stiffer the spring, the harder the ride because it will not compress as easily as a softer spring. The correct setup is to have the correct spring for the weight and control it's movement with dampers.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'm not sure what the question is, really. How do you know how "smooth" the trailer rides?
I've towed likely over 100 different trailers with both types of axles. Never give it a second thought. Shocks? What for? If you need shocks the trailer is overloaded. It should have enough spring rate to not look like a bobber fishing for bluegills.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
T

What you lose out on vs leaf springs is equalizers. Leaf springs can "walk" over bumps, so they work better for rough terrain and when the trailer isn't towed perfectly level.

To add to that, the equalizers keep the tire loading about the same. When a torsion axle steps over a bump, one tire may take the entire weight with the other carrying nothing. On my tandem torsion axle snowmobile trailer, I have often seen daylight under one of the tires. Those that worry about tire loads should consider using much higher rated tires on a multiple torsion axle trailer, but there goes any ride advantage.