cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fort desoto pinellas county park

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fort Desoto Pinellas county park is our destination in early June. Have reservations already, but want some info on eateries in the nearby area. Driving a 22' B+ with no toad, so parking can be an issue. Sea food is a definite plus, but open to most any local fare.

thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
17 REPLIES 17

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
garmp1 wrote:
NoVa RT, you mentioned the toll roads. We're thinking about getting a Sunpass, but I have a question as to how they rate vehicles. I know the rates are per axle and we have only 2 but the rear is dual wheel. When we were in the Chicago area we were told that the dual rear wheels take the vehicle out of the two axle category. Does the same apply to Florida?

Nope-- just counts the axles.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
NoVa RT, you mentioned the toll roads. We're thinking about getting a Sunpass, but I have a question as to how they rate vehicles. I know the rates are per axle and we have only 2 but the rear is dual wheel. When we were in the Chicago area we were told that the dual rear wheels take the vehicle out of the two axle category. Does the same apply to Florida?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
Dockside daves great real grouper.

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
I can't remember what I got but I know it wasn't salmon. My wife and I each got something different. I want to say we had a Mahi Mahi and a Mullet. Either way they were both delicious.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not big on Salmon myself. What is the preferred fish: salmon, mahi-mahi, mackerel or mullet? Wonder if they serve a mixed platter? Gosh, my mouth is watering in anticipation.

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
garmp1 wrote:
Rangerman, you hit a nerve with smoked fish. To me it's a gotta have when possible. Ted Peters sounds like the place we have to try.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Ted Peters has great smoked fish-- I like the smoked fish dip. Note - they are closed on Tuesday and only take cash !

I just remember the portion sizes were huge!! I could barely finish mine. It's also an open air place so dress accordingly.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
garmp1 wrote:
Rangerman, you hit a nerve with smoked fish. To me it's a gotta have when possible. Ted Peters sounds like the place we have to try.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Ted Peters has great smoked fish-- I like the smoked fish dip. Note - they are closed on Tuesday and only take cash !
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

HappyCamper89
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Island Grill. Great food. Very convenient. Daily oyster specials at happy hour.
2009 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FB
2007 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Extended Cab Duramax

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II

Thanks a bunch!!!

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Ted Peters Smoked Fish!! Great place to eat. I managed to park my dually there.

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
I was there about 3 years ago, and didn't have any trouble getting around or parking in a Roadtrek 190 (21 feet). Restaurants in the immediate area had plenty of space. Bring lots of quarters - my recollection is that there are some tolls getting to and from the park.
2013 RT 190-Popular

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
It's a little ways outside the gate but worth the drive, It's a locals favorite with local prices. It also aired on the Food Network Channel Diner and Dives. Keegans Seafood Never tried Billy's but will in the future. Its looks good too.

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
Driving and parking isn't bad. Our dually is 22 ft and we drive it everywhere we need to go. Taking notes here as we have camped there 20+ times over the past 6 years, but rarely leave that campground.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

Biaggio
Explorer
Explorer
I'm headed there tomorrow with my class B. Seems a few restaurants within 4 miles of the park. Our plan is to drive up to Tony and Nello's the first night for dinner. I can update later in the week.