cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding Slide Toppers

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
Where would I order these? How difficult is it as a DIY project?
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
12 REPLIES 12

Bruce_Brown
^^^ I can say "probably not". Our MH has toppers, our TT does not. The first year we owned the TT I didn't get the slide in before it snowed. It was a mess. I ended up just waiting for a melt before getting the slide in, something you can't do if you need to get home.

With a topper, depending on how it lands, it should almost fall off as it rolls in, even if there is some crusting of the snow is involved.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2. How about snow? We camp during many of the winter months also and more than once have had several inches of snow accumulate on the topper. Sometimes it will sweep right off but I have had the situation where it was badly stuck and a nightmare to remove the snow/ice.

Are ice and snow easier to remove from the top of a slide than from a topper? Curious because I just bought my first trailer with a slide.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

MeandMyLabs
Explorer
Explorer
Slide toppers are relatively easy to install provided you order the correct size for your slide(s).

The real question though is "Do the benefits outweigh the disadvantages?"

Benefits:
1. Keep inside a little cooler.
2. Less water on top of slide to drip inside when breaking camp in the rain.

Disadvantages:
1. Wind flap. Any of the toppers I have been around will flap when the wind blows and really gets old listening to the noise in the middle of the night. Yes, I know of a variety of fixes for this including inflatable pool toys or foam noodles.

2. How about snow? We camp during many of the winter months also and more than once have had several inches of snow accumulate on the topper. Sometimes it will sweep right off but I have had the situation where it was badly stuck and a nightmare to remove the snow/ice.

A couple of years ago when we got several inches of snow and ice during deer season...followed by single digit temperatures, I made a note to myself that this is one option I would not be installing on my next camper. Last January, when we purchased our new TT, I respectfully declined when the dealer tried to convince me to have them installed. We instead opted for a 50amp service and dual ac's. JMHO
2017 Salem Hemisphere
2009 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.0 L

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
It may not look straightforward at first, but after a little thought, the little lever that turns in as the roll is made up is very important. It locks the rolled up fabric on the roller and keeps the roll from loosening up as you travel down the road at 60 mph and ripping the fabric apart.

Bruce_Brown
rhagfo wrote:
GREENReactor wrote:
What's the benefit from adding these?

No need to clean off the top of the slides when pulling them in.

Helps keep cooler in the sun, as the awing shields the slide from the sun.

Also helps keep rain out.

As the the OPs question, as many have said, it's a pretty easy job.

Where? Check your local RV store. PPL also does a good job with them.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a couple links to help.
This information is from the Makarios RV Parts. I found the best measuring and ordering information on this site. I also found them to have the best pricing.

How to measure

E Book on measuring and information
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
GREENReactor wrote:

No need to clean off the top of the slides when pulling them in.

Helps keep cooler in the sun, as the awing shields the slide from the sun.

GREENReactor
Explorer
Explorer
~~~DavidL

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
zackyboy3rs wrote:
Where would I order these? How difficult is it as a DIY project?

Just an FYI, these are shipped freight, our slides outside of flanges were 6'-0" and 12'-10", the brackets come in briefcase sized boxes. The awnings in about 6" diameter cardboard tubes, the tubes are about 1'-6" to 2' longer than the awnings themselves. To get the large awing safely to our storage yard, I needed to strap it to the side of the TV.

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
YouTube has some excellent "how to install" videos for RV Awnings.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a pair for our 2005 Copper Canyon, one 6' and the other 13'. I was able to install the 6' myself, I needed the DW assistance to get the 13' into the track.
This is the 6' on the bedroom slide installed.

We got ours from Makarios RV found the site and CS to be very good. Great directions on measuring to get the correct size.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
They're not had to install. I know because I removed them and re-installed them. You just have to make sure you have a good place to mount them that has enough support.