cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TOWING A MINI COOPER

Hiram25
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on towing my 2003 Mini Cooper, manual transmission, behind my Fleetwood Bounder, 31W motorhome with a Blue Ox faceplate and hitch.

Does anyone else tow a Mini Cooper? Have you had any issues?

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
We will be towing our 2016 Clubman, manual. Our very trusted mechanic said in manual it's not an issue.
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B (Ford Chassis) Bunkhouse
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (5-speed manual)
SMI Stay-In-Play & Blue-Ox Aventa LX

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
We have towed a 2015 MINI Cooper Roadster for over 8000 miles with no issues. In fact, we have the round key, and that system has no steering wheel lock, so you just put it neutral, brake off, remove key and "GO". No problems. To the best of our knowledge, the reason it isn't listed as towable is that BMW never tested it. Just enjoy it!!

Ed Headington

Fiverwheel
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2014 MINI 6 speed with no issues whatsoever. It's so light behind our 06 Monaco Cayman 34' DP you don't even know it's there!
2006 34' Monaco Cayman

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
I've just completed installing the Blue Ox baseplate on our 2013 S Roadster. It's a 6-speed. You may have to leave the key in your car to unlock the steering while towing. I'm likely going with the wireless remote lights so I don't have to wire all the way back to the housings with wire. I'm not even sure I'd really need them other than for markers as you will still be able to see all the lights on the coach with the Mini back there.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I considered one a few years ago I found out automatics were not towable and manual could be but wasn't "rated" as such by the manufacturer. There are two couples I know who do 4 down pull older manual trans minis without issue . DW demanded a automatic so I crossed it off the list. I should have kept it on the list because I ended up trailering , for other reasons.
Bill

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
A good friend tows an older Mini 5 spd.manual all over the country. Had a blowout on the last trip but that's not related to the towability question.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check your owner's manual? Did you check MC's website? Where have you looked? I am willing to look but don't want to duplicate your efforts.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

GPWayne
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Mini Cooper ALL FWD I4 1.6L cyl 5-Speed Manual Manual

No formal testing has been done on the 5-Speed Manual Transmission or the 6-Speed Manual Transmission. Remco has never heard of a problem towing these vehicles. Please confirm in your owner's manual, and follow the outlined procedures for towing. Remco accepts no responsibility for Transmission damage.

Cut and paste from Remco web page. http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

Good Luck:)

http://www.technomadia.com/2011/11/a-mini-adventure/

http://www.miniusa.com/content/dam/mini/PDF/archiveownermanuals/MY02-07/2003_Owners_Manual_Hardtop.pdf

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
When I looked at towable vehicles I do not see the Mini Cooper on the list. Be very careful, you can ruin the transmission and worse.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers