cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portable Satellite

gmatti
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Winnebago Sightseer 33C and recently purchased a Winegard Carryout G2+ portable satellite antenna. We hooked it up directly through the window to establish the receiver and it worked great. Then we hooked it up through the connections in the coach and nothing. I checked and the connectors are hooked up to coaxial cable on both ends. Any ideas what the problem might be? Anyone else having this problem? Thanks, Jerry
20 REPLIES 20

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Ohm out the cable to make sure it is a continuous run.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The portable dish quit on our Winnebago when hooked to the cable in, one input for both cable and satellite. There was a splitter behind the box with many buttons that was marked 'power pass one way', (diplexer ??). I replaced that and everything works again.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that has happenned. Mine were all messed up in my 38Q. Two coaches in a row my hot and cold water were reversed to washing machine. Yes little errors do happen but that said the portable should work through the existing wiring so a matter of elimination to find the problem.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps the "portable satellite" cable is attached to the wrong outlet on your header. My coax has a color on each end of the coax. Perhaps a mistake was made somewhere. One of the other coax connections may be "hot" with your portable signal.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Just to test-once the coax from portable in is connected to tuner 1 on receiver then run a coax direct to tv. At least if that does not work we know the problem is between the bay input and cabinet output. Also turn off the ota booster.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
You receiver signal must be routed to your tv through a switch. In my 35 g and 38q it was known as a matrix. It was connected to receiver with hdmi. Yours might be different but you need to connect the receive to portabl in and then receiber out by coax, hdmii or rca connectors. In your case it probably is the sattellite out.

gmatti
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
You should have a female connection in the overhead compartment that says portable satellite in. Connect coax to that and to reciever. Then receiver to matrix and locate the signal on matrix which should be three but you may need to try each. Mine worked.

In the cabinet above the drivers seat in my coach labeled "Satellite Receiver Connection" are three connectors - "From Roof Satellite Dish", From Portable Satellite Dish and To Satellite Receiver Output". I hook my receiver to the "From Portable Satellite Dish". I don't understand what "matrix" you are talking about, what is that?

gmatti
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
My 2015 Winnebago Vista has a separate sat and cable connection in the utility bay but I was never able to get the sat one to work. The sat connector in the cab overhead compartment apparently was not connected to it. I never found anything referencing an A/B switch although that would make sense. I ended up putting my dish on the roof and per Winne's info, bored a hole and found the sat prewire cable where the info sheet said it should be. When I connected the dish to that, the sat connector in the overhead worked. I found that while I bought my dish to be portable, the extra height of the roof was a wash with the ability to move the dish around on the ground. Since I was climbing up there more often than not, I just mounted it up there. I also had trouble with the HDMI to network converter that Winne uses to get the sat box signal to the TV. The converter said it was for cat 5 cable but the prewire was cat 6. The replacement box from Winne under warranty did not work either (also said cat 5 on it) and researching online found there is much discussion of whether or not the converter must exactly match the cable type. I found a converter on eBay for $35 that called for cat 6 cable. I installed it and it worked fine. I was tired of making trips to the dealer so I just ate the cost and wrote it off to educating myself on converters. Are you sure this is not your problem? Are you getting any pix on your TV from the sat box? If you have your sat box in the overhead to use the HDMI connection there and are getting a blank screen, check the converter and the writing on the network cable to the TV (and 2nd half of the converter system).

I have the same set up in the outside bay - satellite in and cable in with the Satellite to receiver in the cabinet above the driver seat. The satellite works great when bypassing the internal connections and connecting through the window but I like to get what I paid for so looking for the solution. Not understanding exactly how the wiring in the coach works along with the "switch box" I need help.

gmatti
Explorer
Explorer
fortytwo wrote:
My 2014 Itasca 30T has the same problem. I have connectors marked Satellite In and Cable In in the outside bay. The wiring diagram shows three different splitters, but no indication of where they may be located. I'm certain one of the splitters is either a cable model instead of a satellite, or is defective. Winnebago apparently believes their products are never to fail and hide all the serviceable connections somewhere behind panels. I'm not willing to tear walls apart looking, so run cables from my portable through windows to each TV.

I have the same set up in the outside bay - satellite in and cable in with the Satellite to receiver in the cabinet above the driver seat. The satellite works great when bypassing the internal connections and connecting through the window but I like to get what I paid for so looking for the solution. Not understanding exactly how the wiring in the coach works along with the "switch box" I need help.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
You should have a female connection in the overhead compartment that says portable satellite in. Connect coax to that and to reciever. Then receiver to matrix and locate the signal on matrix which should be three but you may need to try each. Mine worked.

GPWayne
Explorer
Explorer
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/pdfs/Operator2015/15Sightseer.pdf

Follow instructions in section 8. Your manual.

Satellite dish connection is next to the cable connection. (Water service center)
See page 8 - 7 for receiver hookup.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
My 2015 Winnebago Vista has a separate sat and cable connection in the utility bay but I was never able to get the sat one to work. The sat connector in the cab overhead compartment apparently was not connected to it. I never found anything referencing an A/B switch although that would make sense. I ended up putting my dish on the roof and per Winne's info, bored a hole and found the sat prewire cable where the info sheet said it should be. When I connected the dish to that, the sat connector in the overhead worked. I found that while I bought my dish to be portable, the extra height of the roof was a wash with the ability to move the dish around on the ground. Since I was climbing up there more often than not, I just mounted it up there. I also had trouble with the HDMI to network converter that Winne uses to get the sat box signal to the TV. The converter said it was for cat 5 cable but the prewire was cat 6. The replacement box from Winne under warranty did not work either (also said cat 5 on it) and researching online found there is much discussion of whether or not the converter must exactly match the cable type. I found a converter on eBay for $35 that called for cat 6 cable. I installed it and it worked fine. I was tired of making trips to the dealer so I just ate the cost and wrote it off to educating myself on converters. Are you sure this is not your problem? Are you getting any pix on your TV from the sat box? If you have your sat box in the overhead to use the HDMI connection there and are getting a blank screen, check the converter and the writing on the network cable to the TV (and 2nd half of the converter system).

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
My 2014 Itasca 30T has the same problem. I have connectors marked Satellite In and Cable In in the outside bay. The wiring diagram shows three different splitters, but no indication of where they may be located. I'm certain one of the splitters is either a cable model instead of a satellite, or is defective. Winnebago apparently believes their products are never to fail and hide all the serviceable connections somewhere behind panels. I'm not willing to tear walls apart looking, so run cables from my portable through windows to each TV.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

George_Beggs
Explorer
Explorer
My 2007 Bounder allows me to connect a satellite cable to the cable input.
George & Linda
2007 Bounder 35E
Ford V10