cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Slide Outs, 1 works great, the other won't extend

CamperBrent
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, new to RV.NET so excuse me if I post in the wrong spot.

I have a 2001 Keystone Montana 3255rl.

I recently closed up both slide outs (hydraulic) with no problems whatsoever. One week later I went to extend them to clean; the bedroom (above fifth wheel hitch) worked great. The living room didn't slide much, maybe an inch if any. When I got close I can see it close completely. I've checked hydraulic fluid, it's full. I'm lost on other options. No manual open bypass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
If the breaker resets after a short period it is probably the automatic reset breaker. If the slide still does not come in its another problem.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
The slide with the least resistance will move first. I have 3 slides, sometimes one will open part of the way, stop, another will open, then the first one will finish. It could be that the hydraulic cylinder for the large slide has failed internally or the pump is not producing enough pressure to open the larger slide. Also if the battery is weak. the pump will not pump enough to move the large slide. With shore power plugged in, it still needs a strong battery. If you can get close enough you can use jumper cables from your vehicle to see if a better battery will do the job.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

fulltime5er
Explorer
Explorer
Do your front jacks work okay? You may have a breaker tripped in the hydraulic system.
2013 Ford F350 Crew Cab, 4x4 Long bed, DRW, 6.7 Diesel, 3.73,
2014 Cedar Creek 36ckts
B&W Companion hitch (puck type)

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not know what brand you have, but you should be able to find a service manual on the internet. It should have troubleshooting guides in it. If all else fails look for the solenoids and see if they have a manual valve, try opening and closing them several times. Then try again.

CamperBrent
Explorer
Explorer
1995brave wrote:
If it is hydraulic it sounds like one of the valves is not closing all the way, allowing the hydraulic fluid to flow back to the reservoir instead of going to the cylinder.

What would be the fix if this is the problem?

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is hydraulic it sounds like one of the valves is not closing all the way, allowing the hydraulic fluid to flow back to the reservoir instead of going to the cylinder.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
CamperBrent wrote:
Hi guys, new to RV.NET so excuse me if I post in the wrong spot.

I have a 2001 Keystone Montana 3255rl.

I recently closed up both slide outs (hydraulic) with no problems whatsoever. One week later I went to extend them to clean; the bedroom (above fifth wheel hitch) worked great. The living room didn't slide much, maybe an inch if any. When I got close I can see it close completely. I've checked hydraulic fluid, it's full. I'm lost on other options. No manual open bypass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does it sound like its trying to open. I thought the Montana fifth wheels all had on/off valves for the hydraulic slide outs, I know mine does

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if they may have a shear pin????

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
Are you close to level? One time I had wife push button to open it while I pulled on the slide. That got it opened. I can only guess it was in a bind of some kind. No problem since. Try helping it out. Best I can offer without seeing it.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Broken or stripped gears? Broken bolt on gear? All underneath the slide itself. Just a guess for ya.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"