cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lower compartment latch or slide bolt replacement

lonfu
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so just bought a 99 pace arrow 35U for $6k. I need to replace 12 of the 20 slide bolts on the lower compartment doors. Sadly, the latches are mounted on the inside of the door frame rather then on the outside like many later models. Rather not have to pull apart 10 doors...... Has any one tried simply routering out a port near where the latch is and servicing it through the port? The latches are set with a nut and bolt set.

Any suggestions on a hole size for the access port?

Figured I'd make some aluminum plates to go over the holes with silicon to seal up. I was thinking making a clamp on temp plate and using a counter trimmer so I could do it right on the coach. Figure once I make the plate, it will take me less than 2 mins each to create an access port to replace the broken slide bolt. I already have ordered the bolts.

Any suggestions???? has anyone tried this?
May your black water hose never break! Life Charter member since 89
5 REPLIES 5

lonfu
Explorer
Explorer
doors open up, latches are on the sides, riveted to the door frame. No room for the latch arm to be removed without disassembling the entire door. Mine have broke both ways, button breaks off or interior of latch breaks and can't be opened. did the same thing to get them open. with the small plate in place it will be a breeze to replace now. I have another moho where the latch is on the bottom, much easier arrangement to repair, but not as waterproof. here is the other thing that made the hole neccessary, the latch is mounted on the inside of the door frame, not the outside. When I reinstalled I mounted it on the outside of the frame, makes no diff in how the door works.

wa8yxm wrote:
Describe the locks/lathes. Do the doors open UP or Sideways?

On my Intruder I have Tri-Mark latches the doors open UP.

What happens is the striker bolts break and wont retract when I pull the handle

I have been able to slide under. and using a long screwdriver push the striker bolt up (or you can drill a small hole diretly below it in the latch cover plate) . .These are not the world's most secure latches.

Once I have the latch apart and all the parts in my hand a METAL SMITH has been able to carve me new ones out of higher quality metal.. This worked, sort of.

If Finally figured out how to "mend' em. but then I have limited Smith's training and a very good tool box.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I did just what you described. Cut the width of the latch and about three inches tall. I did not cut the side towards the center of the door so I could just fold up the piece and then fold it back down. Put license plates from states we have been to cover the cuts. I was able to make the cuts with a razor knife.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Describe the locks/lathes. Do the doors open UP or Sideways?

On my Intruder I have Tri-Mark latches the doors open UP.

What happens is the striker bolts break and wont retract when I pull the handle

I have been able to slide under. and using a long screwdriver push the striker bolt up (or you can drill a small hole diretly below it in the latch cover plate) . .These are not the world's most secure latches.

Once I have the latch apart and all the parts in my hand a METAL SMITH has been able to carve me new ones out of higher quality metal.. This worked, sort of.

If Finally figured out how to "mend' em. but then I have limited Smith's training and a very good tool box.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

lonfu
Explorer
Explorer
the way that the doors were made the latch is riveted into the door. I drilled the rivets and when I tried to remove the latch the bar would not come out of the latch. So, I had to make the hole to reach the end of the latch. Once the hole was cut with my "wiggle" saw the entire process went very quickly. Made small aluminum plates to cover the holes with Tek screws to hold it in place. a dab of caulking made it waterproof.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mine were very easy to change out.
I removed the cover over the latch
Locate the metal linkage to the latch.
Tied a peice of sturdy twine to linkage.
Removed the screws that hold the ends in place.
Gently pulled the assemble out while helper guided string in.
Reversed the procedure to install.
The plastic retainers for the latch cover broke(of course) used screw to re-install.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker