cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running the AC while driving

burghfan
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. This may be a silly question, but I wanted some input from some rv'ers who may be more experienced than we are. We own a 33ft Coachman Mirada. I know that the chassis ac is not for cooling the whole unit, and have read that I can run the house ac with the generator running while driving. (Want to make sure our pets are comfortable while we drive!) Is this common practice and if so, does it add considerably to fuel usage? Thanks in advance for any info. If this has been covered elsewhere, my apologies.

Jeff & ShawnTae, Heidi and Bobo
25 REPLIES 25

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
It gets hot here at home. I run as much AC as I need including the dash AC if I need it. The solar often over heats one or both Captains chairs.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
In warm weather we ran the generator and roof AC on every single trip. Gotta make them doggies happy. The dash AC can't compete with those big windshields on a hot day.

burghfan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the insights, they are much appreciated.....especially by Heidi and Bobo when we go on vacation in June!!

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
I start our Genny and roof A/Cs about an hour before leaving on a trip, and run the entire duration of the trip. Nice to have a cool coach and hot water when you pull into your site. Also nice when stopping for lunch enroute, nice and cool!
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I have several ways to keep comfortable. I can run the fan on the roof air which helps distribute the cool air from the dash.

It that is not enough help, I can run the roof air using the inverter.

If that begins to run the battery bank down, I can use the remote start on my Yamaha 3000 sIEB generator, recharge the bank and run the roof air.

If I had a choice of propane vs gas for a generator, I'd pick gas.

If I had a choice of propane vs diesel for a generator, I'd pick diesel.

On a hot day, I will start the roof air about 90 minutes before I stop traveling for the night.

gatorcq wrote:
so you rather be uncomfortable.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
Some DPs had l.p. Generator
Gas coaches have gas generators
Lp has less energy per gallon than gas approx 75 percent
So an l.p. Genset uses more per hour for the same load
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
We have the AC going, my son will watch a movie in the bedroom, My wife might heat up lunch in the microwave, etc all while going down the road. I have never really tracked MPG because it doesn't matter. It won't stop me from taking a trip and the whole point of owning a MH is to travel in comfort and have all the amenities of an apartment on wheels. Smiles to the gallon.
2013 ACE 29.2

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
burghfan wrote:
Hello all. This may be a silly question, but I wanted some input from some rv'ers who may be more experienced than we are. We own a 33ft Coachman Mirada. I know that the chassis ac is not for cooling the whole unit, and have read that I can run the house ac with the generator running while driving. (Want to make sure our pets are comfortable while we drive!) Is this common practice and if so, does it add considerably to fuel usage? Thanks in advance for any info. If this has been covered elsewhere, my apologies.

Jeff & ShawnTae, Heidi and Bobo

Most everyone does, once it gets hot enough and not like chassis air, runs for free, even if it was adequate. With everything running on your genset, you can expect to burn fuel at the rate of .5 - 1.0 gallon per hour, depending on what you have and most likely around .75 with 2 ac's, when it's really hot outside and underway. This include the fridge, hot water ....etc...etc....
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
cost about a gallon an hour worth it for comfort
2009 Challenger

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
I always wondered if people worry so much about miles per gallon,why don't they just stay home, that cost 0 miles per gallon.

X2 - I've read posts where folks put up curtains to "seal" the cab off to only run dash air. I mean, what's the point of having a MH?
2013 ACE 29.2

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
I always wondered if people worry so much about miles per gallon,why don't they just stay home, that cost 0 miles per gallon.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I run the genset every trip we take, whether a 30 minute trip or a 5 hour trip. It's good exercise for the genset and it keeps everything very comfortable. Not to mention, the fridge can run off electricity and not have to use propane!

**EDIT** Edited to say that I lose about 0.5 MPG by running the genset.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We do and fret not of additional fuel consumed.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely use the genny & roof air to keep humans and pets comfortable. That is why that equipment is there. I wouldn't give a single thought to fuel consumption.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone