cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kentucky Bourbon Trail - best campground

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
We want to spend a week in mid May and do the Kentucky Bourbon Trail with our friends. I am hoping someone can give me a good suggestion on the best or most centralized campground to stay in. We would prefer something within about 40 miles or so of all the distilleries if possible. Thanks for any and all suggestions. Keith

PS - before someone asks; the wives don't like bourbon but want to go. Looks like we have our designated drivers with us.:)
13 REPLIES 13

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
In Dec. 16 we stayed at Cave Country Rv Park, Cave City, Ky. Very nice stay. Jeff and staff were very helpful.
From there, visiting the caves, antiqueing and the Bardstown area distilleries. Don't miss the Abe Lincoln historical sites.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you get your passport and visit the required number of distilleries and stamp your passport. Get a free T-shirt which is very cool. I consider Woodford the best bourbon on the trail. Jim Beam is a step above paint thinner after testing Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, etc. Bourbon Trail Passport

bear1951
Explorer
Explorer
I would have to go with My Old Kentucky Home State Park for being central. Lots of bourbon in Louisville, but no good campgrounds. Horse Park would run a close second.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Elkhorn Creek in Frankfort. As I remember we drive right by a couple of distilleries getting there.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

bresdogsr
Explorer
Explorer
I second the KY Horse Park.
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at My Old Kentucky Home SP a couple of times last year and really enjoyed it.
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank all of you for the information. Any other suggestions???

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
My old KY Home State park
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
We set up 'base camp' at Taylorsville Lake Sate Park (Water /electric/Dump Station)

We didn't care about FHUs as we were out all day going to couple of Distillers each day.

Lake is beautiful setting and sites are good.

Worked real well as a base....farthest distiller was 75 miles (I think) but we liked adventuring so we drove all over the area between visits to distillers.

Picked up a bottle of:
Maker's Mark
Four Roses
Bulleit Frontier Whiskey
Angels Envy

Taylorsville Lake State Park

KY Bourbon Trail Map
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Remember, some of the Kentucky counties are dry. So you can view but not drink.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
After the second or third stop, anywhere along the roadside will work.

Uh oh, wives dont like bourbon, but want to go? Sounds like someone discovered the antique shops in these little towns.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I just wanted to mention, drink enough of the product and all the campgrounds are great.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler