cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

watching TV in your 5er

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tried this? What do you think? Pros? Cons?

https://www.tickboxtv.com/index.php
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
15 REPLIES 15

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another option for those with tablets. You can download content from Amazon Prime Video for offline viewing. I believe you can do the same thing from Netflix. You simply download content to your local device (e.g. iPad) before you leave or anywhere you have a strong WiFi connection. Later you can watch the shows from your local device completely disconnected from the internet. I have used it with Amazon and it works great - however not ALL their content is available for download. Netflix recently added this ability as well but I haven't tried it yet. So, I'm unaware of any caveats. This is a great option while dry camping to reduce power consumption (DVD player, etc.). It does require some planning - i.e. choosing what you want to watch later.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
I've given up on trying to stream video for the RV. Just too much data and sketchy coverage areas. I went with a DISH satellite system with a external hard drive and what I do is, since I am lucky and have my RV at home, I set it up to record some programming on a regular basis, such as Cheers, MASH, etc., then I also look forward for movies and record those. Now when we are on the road we have a hard drive chock full of programming which we can watch without needing to set up the satellite. Of course we also use the OTA antenna when available and carry a cabinet full of DVDs.
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Well, with my limited technological mind I'm thinking that Winegard Batwing Antenna might be my best option.

For all of those who are using such an antenna, how do you set it up, what holds it up etc. I'm assuming that you take it down before you travel and then put it back up once parked. Does it require a cable being hooked up directly to the TV? Where do you store it while you are on the road?
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin wrote:
If you have:
(1) AT&T wireless as your cell phone provider AND
(2) A decent signal (strong 4G or better yet LTE) AND
(3) A subscription to DirecTV NOW (their streaming product, NOT the dish based product),

Then you can stream to your phone or tablet USING THE DIRECTV NOW APP without it counting against your data. I cut the cord from DirecTV satellite service over a year ago at home and have never looked back. I'll admit the DTVN service has been sketchy for a few months and they still don't have all the features available (most significant being a cloud DVR), but it has improved significantly since the introduction late last year. Their affiliation with AT&T makes it interesting for RVing in that - as long as there's ample signal - we can stream all we want and the data usage doesn't count against our data plans.

Very cool.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Was in Pigeon Forge a couple weeks ago and had trees blocking my satellite dish and mountains blocking most of the OTA signal. Have Verizon Unlimited plan and decent LTE connection. Streamed 70G of Netflix for the week with no problems using Visio smart TV. Cell based connections can work as long as the tower you connect to is not busy.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
No need for another box. Kodi can be loaded onto a win laptop or mac. Just need a cable from laptop to tv. Kodi.tv or just watch it on your computer. Does require an internet connection.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
If you have:
(1) AT&T wireless as your cell phone provider AND
(2) A decent signal (strong 4G or better yet LTE) AND
(3) A subscription to DirecTV NOW (their streaming product, NOT the dish based product),

Then you can stream to your phone or tablet USING THE DIRECTV NOW APP without it counting against your data. I cut the cord from DirecTV satellite service over a year ago at home and have never looked back. I'll admit the DTVN service has been sketchy for a few months and they still don't have all the features available (most significant being a cloud DVR), but it has improved significantly since the introduction late last year. Their affiliation with AT&T makes it interesting for RVing in that - as long as there's ample signal - we can stream all we want and the data usage doesn't count against our data plans.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
Was camping a couple weeks ago at St. Andrews Fl. State Park in Panama City Beach, picked up 20 channels on AIR scan with Batwing antenna

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
I've messed with using my laptop to connect to the tv and play video from the laptop (files stored locally on the laptop). I've messed with chromecast, again streaming from my laptop (plex) to the chromecast. Streaming from the internet is never gonna happen unless it is 4am or something.

Not being happy involving my laptop, I'm trying a new approach. I'm working on figuring out the format my Samsung TV likes for files on a usb stick. Then at home I can pull TV shows off of my Tivo, encode them, and put them on a usb stick and I'm set for a trip with a bunch of shows (using kmttg for the tivo and encoding).

Right now the file format I use seems to lose the audio after 10 minutes or so.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
We use Roku players at home they work great have not had cable or satelite for 3 yrs.

I carry a google Chromecast in the camper. I utilize my phone as a hotspot only if things get real boring and I cant pick up anything over the air. Mobile data usage to watch tv if you dont have unlimited will hurt your wallet in a real bad way
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Crank up your Winegard Batwing Antenna.....properly aim it towards TV Transponder towers
Set TV to 'Air' (Antenna) do a scan

Watch some TV

Personal Internet service/connection NOT going to be fast enough/large enough unless you pay $$$$
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments.

Rickioni, do you have a brand for that box? Thanks.
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Read the fine print. If you're watching copyrighted material for free, it's probably not legal. Check out the story of the company Aereo if you don't believe me.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Do some research, these preloaded boxes are chea offshore junk.
You are much better off buying a good box and loafing KODI yourself.
You will need a fast stable Internet connection for it to work properly. I have 3 for home use and they are fantastic.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS