cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should TT Brakes Lock Up

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 36' 9500 loaded TT and a new 2017 F 350, CC, SWR truck.

Just had the bearings repacked and brakes adjusted before start of season by local shop. When I picked it up I did not feel much from the TT brakes.

I took it back and me and the tech turned the star wheel on the back of the drums until we felt some good friction than backed it off. The wheel would turn pretty freely and there was a slight amount of the noise from brakes hitting the drum. Did this on all 4 tires.

Set the gain to 10, got up to 20 mph and applied full pressure to brake controller(integrated) and could feel the TT brakes but no where close to locking them up. After pulling about 200 miles it actually felt like more resistance on the TT brakes when pulling into the CG using the same test. Is this normal? Couldn't lock them up but felt that they gave a bigger jerk to the truck when fully applying the controller.

My question is should a gain of 10 lock up a TT this heavy. I kept in on 10 for a 1700 mile round trip. No issues but then again I have an exhaust brake and pulled from VA to FLA so it was flat land. I just want to make sure I am getting stopping assistance from the TT as well as the truck in an emergency braking situation. tks
54 REPLIES 54

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
Dropped trailer off at dealer yesterday. They said shoes and magnets were fine. Tested electrical and discovered rear axle brakes working fine but the front was not. Found a broken wire. No juice was getting to the brakes on front axle.

My question is even in this scenario shouldn't the rear axle lock up when I had the gain set to 10? It never did. Maybe the 9500 lb TT was too much for just one axle to lock up but I wanted to ask before picking it up tomorrow. tks

Probably not.
Having placed over a dozen flatbed trailers with 5200/6000/7000/8000/10k lb axles in commercial service.....and owning three different rv trailers the first thing I do before hitting the road is replace all crimp connectors. Especially those clamshell types. And much depends on the brake controller.
I stip about 1" of insulation off.....then twist the wires together....then solder the joint....then wrap the area with electricians tape..... them heat the shrink wrap tube I slide on the wire after cutting the crimp connectors off.
This makes a good water tight seal eliminates low amp problems now or 200k-400k miles down the road..

Every trailer I've ever owned and currently own will slide the tires at speed when fully loaded after R&R brake wiring.

From Dexter axle group ;;
Mr. xxx,
While the 5.2, 6 & 7K brakes are all 12x2 in size they do have different lining material, magnets and reinforcement of the metal backing plates. Thanks ......Jim Miller / Dexter Axle
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Dodge Guy,

H'mm. OK. I have an all new set of backing plates to replace mine when they wear out. Since I have self adjusting brakes, they work better and wear faster since they are working better. My new plates have the same new larger magnet like you show. My existing magnet is like the one on the right of the pic.

I may not change these out yet for another year, but I now will be on the look out for when I change them if I get a boost in the ability to lock up better.

Thanks for sharing that pic.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello John. Thanks for the links. I looked them up. But the listing is odd. I had what I thought were grey wire magnets, bit the pic looks like they were white. The replacements came in with white wires and were larger. I just remembered that I posted years ago about the difference in the magnets and I had pics. I ordered them by the axle weight. And this is what I got.

As you can see there is a substantial size difference. I had to make sure they fit inside the drum, which they did. I just crawled under and checked. My axles are 5200lb by Lippert. So not sure what to think now. All I know is it stops very well! When I go through the bearings and brakes I'll get some pics.

Thanks again.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
dodge guy wrote:
JBarca wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
When the system is 100% functional and in good repair you should be able to lock them up which is 100% braking force.
On my current trailer I spent almost 2 years figuring out why I wasn't getting full braking from the trailer brakes. After cleaning adjusting, checking connections, voltage and amp draw as well as resistance checks everything was showing OK. As a last resort I changed out all my brake magnets and after 20 miles of burnishing them in the trailer finally was able to lock up the brakes manually.

After I fixed it the heavier trailer stopped faster than my lighter one did. And it still brakes very well to this day.

Hi Dodge Guy,

When you changed your brake coils, do you recall the wire color on the original and then the new ones you replaced them with?

Dexter 12 x 2 brakes can accept 2 different brake coils that have 2 different brake strengths. They have one for the 7,000# axle set and one for the 6,000 lb. The strength is different.

Your camper is heavy enough to be like mine and the OP'ers. I'm trying to figure out what you created to get a 10,000 # range trailer on 12 x 2 brakes to lock at high speed. What speed can it do this at?

Thanks

John

I don't remember the brake size offhand, but I do believe they are the 12X2. I'll know when I go through the bearings before our Yellowstone trip. The replacements I ordered were from dexter and about 30% larger than what I replaced. The wires are just black, there is no positive or negative. Just hook up the wires and you are done. This year may be the year I have to replace the brakes. When I last did them (2yeara ago) they were getting low. Not sure if I'll just do shoes or the entire backing plate assembly.

If I set it high enough from what I remember they can lock up over 40. But that was years ago when I did the magnets. I do know the braking ability was so good I had to back my setting down from the original 13 I had it set at to 10.

Hi Dodge Guy,

Thanks for the info. I think I may know how you did this.

It just happens that there is a 5,200#/6,000# 12" x 2" brake set. This uses "white" wire brake coils. Dexter PN 042-099-01

See here for a pic Dexter part break down on 5,200/6,000# brake

And there is a 7,000# axle brake 12" x 2" brake set. This used "black" wire brake coils. Dexter PN 042-101-01

See here for pic
Dexter part beak down on 7,000# brake

And for the official work, here is the Dexter site. Dexter I cannot recall exactly. I think 2009 ish time frame, do not quote me on the date, but they changed their coils. They are bigger in some cases but still fit in the older brakes. http://www.dexteraxle.com/products/brakes-brake-accessories/brake-components/magnets

Here you can see the new coils, larger looking.

The white wire, 5,200/6,000# brake coil, PN 042-144-00 (new number)

The black wire, 7,000# brake coil, PN 042-143-00 (new number)

If you had black wires that you recall, then that seems to point to the stronger 7,000# coils. This could be why once you changed brake coils, you had stronger stopping power.

If you are at the point of new brake shoes, I would recommend you change out the entire brake plate. You get everything new, lever, bushing, coils and shoes. Oh and the ass'y is often cheaper then the shoes by themselves.

I use Eastern Marine often on brake parts. See here http://www.easternmarine.com/Electric-Trailer-Brake-Assemblies/

Hope this helps explain this. Curious when you take it apart you can confirm all this.

John

PS. I suspect your camper has the 5,200 or 6,000# axle set. I have not seen a 14,000# TT in a while using the 7,000# axles.
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

jrhanbar98
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
OP here. My 2017 F 350 is set to heavy trailer as was asked by another poster so not a problem there. The bearings were re-packed and not just lubed and before I took it to the shop I noticed the brakes on the TT did not feel that strong when completing closing the TBC.

I am taking it back to the shop on Saturday to re-adjust and want to clarify as I think a few posters have said different things. My understanding is you should turn the star wheel until you can no longer turn the wheel by hand. Step 2 is back off the star wheel 8-10 clicks and you should be able to turn the wheel by hand 3/4-1 revolution only and the wheel would stop on its own due to the friction of the shoes on the drums. Would this be the correct procedure? tks

+1. I had a Prodigy aftermarket installed on my '03 Avalanche. Would set brakes according to the manual for lock up at 25-30 mph, then back off. Worked great at highway speed, around town, especially after driving they would lock up frustrating. I have a '17 Silverado with IBC, setting of 6 works great, it can't get lock up manually. Does Chevy have the trailer identification system like Ford?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
JBarca wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
When the system is 100% functional and in good repair you should be able to lock them up which is 100% braking force.
On my current trailer I spent almost 2 years figuring out why I wasn't getting full braking from the trailer brakes. After cleaning adjusting, checking connections, voltage and amp draw as well as resistance checks everything was showing OK. As a last resort I changed out all my brake magnets and after 20 miles of burnishing them in the trailer finally was able to lock up the brakes manually.

After I fixed it the heavier trailer stopped faster than my lighter one did. And it still brakes very well to this day.

Hi Dodge Guy,

When you changed your brake coils, do you recall the wire color on the original and then the new ones you replaced them with?

Dexter 12 x 2 brakes can accept 2 different brake coils that have 2 different brake strengths. They have one for the 7,000# axle set and one for the 6,000 lb. The strength is different.

Your camper is heavy enough to be like mine and the OP'ers. I'm trying to figure out what you created to get a 10,000 # range trailer on 12 x 2 brakes to lock at high speed. What speed can it do this at?

Thanks

John

I don't remember the brake size offhand, but I do believe they are the 12X2. I'll know when I go through the bearings before our Yellowstone trip. The replacements I ordered were from dexter and about 30% larger than what I replaced. The wires are just black, there is no positive or negative. Just hook up the wires and you are done. This year may be the year I have to replace the brakes. When I last did them (2yeara ago) they were getting low. Not sure if I'll just do shoes or the entire backing plate assembly.

If I set it high enough from what I remember they can lock up over 40. But that was years ago when I did the magnets. I do know the braking ability was so good I had to back my setting down from the original 13 I had it set at to 10.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a clamp-on DC ammeter to check current flow to each wheel.
Crank up the controller and look for 3 amps flowing to each magnet.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
dodge guy wrote:

Hi Dodge Guy,

Thanks

John

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cecilt wrote:
Dropped trailer off at dealer yesterday. They said shoes and magnets were fine. Tested electrical and discovered rear axle brakes working fine but the front was not. Found a broken wire. No juice was getting to the brakes on front axle.

My question is even in this scenario shouldn't the rear axle lock up when I had the gain set to 10? It never did. Maybe the 9500 lb TT was too much for just one axle to lock up but I wanted to ask before picking it up tomorrow. tks

Hi,

Maybe this will help. I have a 2005 F350. It was the first year Ford put the integrated brake controller in the trucks. And I had one of the early ones too, the first few months of production the manual lever would not work unless the truck was going I think over 15 mph. After enough uproar, they changed the rest of the 2005 models to have the manual lever work all the time.

I also have Dexter self adjusting brakes. These are always adjusted up to ideal. The feature works well as long as the brake drums run true.

My camper is just under 10,000# when full loaded, I say this so we can compare more apples to apples trailers in stopping size.

I also did a wiring upgrade conversion. No 10 awg wire right to each brake coil, including the ground wire. See here for more info.
Independent Brake Wire Feed Upgrade

On your brakes, you need to sort out that each brake coil is getting the same current/voltage the truck is sending. The wiring methods used on some brand camper is not good. Marginal size wire drops the voltage and the current. I did not notice what year camper you have, if it is older, there is classic wire failure inside the axle tube. The wire insulation gets brittle, it is bouncing around in there and over time grinds off a bare spot. This shorts out the coil so the power it not getting to the brakes.

Next the ground. Many campers have a power wire direct from the truck to the brake coil. But the ground, they run the brake coil wire to frame ground back by the axles. Then up front of the camper, they create frame ground off the battery and join it to the truck ground. Well, those are 2 very good places to have corrosion affect the ground path to the brakes. Either end of that ground connection can mess with the brakes. It acts like the coil wire on the ground is not connected or has great resistance. Ideally the ground wire for the brakes is a wired direct from the truck 7 wire plug all the way to the brake coils. No using the frame ground for the brakes.

Connections on the brake wiring, another sore spot. If by chance they have scotch lock connectors, about all you can do with them is eliminate them. They have no good long term use in a brake circuit.

You keep trying to mechanically adjust to make this better, but if the electrical is not up to peak performance, the brakes cannot work right.

Now to the lock up, I cannot comment on your vintage controller as I'm sure yours is upgraded from mine, but I can tell you this much. I used to tow my smaller camper with this same truck, it weighed 6,000# and had 2, 3,500 lb axles. So 7,000# of brakes. If I put my controller on a gain of 10, that camper would not lock up the brakes but I can tell you they are being pumped the current. When I get out and check the trailer drums, they are hot, they are trying to hold the truck back. Too much gain as it will due those brakes in early. On this smaller camper I run a gain of 6.5

My controller creates a one to one stopping effect with the truck. I cannot force the controller to have the trailer lead the truck, even at a gain of 10. The computer throttles the brake power back to make the combo dead smooth.

It does the same on my 10,000# camper. I have the gain at 8.5 and mine has a bar graph from 0 to 100% power. I can see the controller pulsing the brakes with varying power as the truck and camper stops. It is sensing "somehow" when the trailer has enough stopping force to back off the brakes signal.

Now to the manual lever. Even with the full brake wire upgrade and the self adjusting brakes, I cannot lock up the brakes doing much anything over 30 mph. I called and asked Dexter about this, and as the other poster listed, Dexter sizes the brakes to a weight capacity and stopping distance. The magnets and the brake lining aggressiveness are sized to that weight rating stopping distance. If I have an empty camper, about 7,200#, then the brakes may lock, but not at full load at high speed.

To your question on should one axle still lock if the wires are off on the second axle, again back to the mass it is trying to stop. Normally you have 2 brake axles trying to stop the camper, if you only have 1 axle, your expecting that one axle to stop the entire camper mass when 2 are having a hard enough time. The mass will overpower the brakes and I highly doubt they will lock.

As to setting manual brakes, many folks have different way they found works for them. How I do it is, jack up the camper, adjust up until the wheel locks from hand turning. Then back off clicks until there is a slight faint rub. This faint rub is not an exact number of clicks away. I'm estimating I'm about 0.001" to 0.002" from the drum with the shoe. Do all 4 this same way and then a drag test on gravel at least when I had a brake controller that would let me. You can see if all 4 lock at the same time. If one is before the others, I back off 1 or 2 clicks and go again. When all 4 lock at once, I'm good.

Since my F350 will not do a drag test, I use brake hub temps to do this. Towing down the highway and come to a rest stop. Get out and check the drums temps with an infra red gun. The hot one, is too aggressive. You will see it, it is way higher then the rest. Back off 1 or 2 clicks and try again. When all 4 are stopping as one, the heat will be the same with a few degrees of each other.

Hope this helps

John

PS a Question: Does your 2017 controller have a bar graph or method to show how much power output the controller is doing? Look when you press the manual button, is it staying at 100% power or backing off?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cecilt wrote:

Makes one wonder, when testing at dealer, were rear brakes just working, or showing full amps? I have seen trailers brakes wired differently, so depends, on second axle locking on it's own. Some brake wires are just spliced behind front hubs, then added wire to second axle from same splice. In this case, some loss from broken connection, could be passed on to rear axle.

On my current FW, the brakes for each axle are wire independent of each other. Each axle has heavy wire coming down through coroplast for each hub. In this case, I should be able to lock the rear axle brakes, even if the front axle brakes were not working.

While there are lots of ifs/ands with brake wiring, including wire size, plus hub size/shoe size, the Ford IBCs should be pretty standard, one new truck to the other.

Jerry

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it's your controller.
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with my 5er, after a couple years of replacing this and that, then finally the whole braking plate, I still had weak brakes, in the end I located a faulty wire connection, I can easily lock up the brakes on all four wheels with the gain set at 9, I suggest you check all wire connections.
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Went back to dealer on Saturday and we adjusted the start nut until we could no longer spin the wheel by hand. Backed off so that we could turn the wheel one revolution by hand. Was hoping this would solve my weak TT brakes. Barely made a difference. Prior to doing this when jacked up the trailer I could spin the tires freely for 4 rotations.

Back to dealer later this week to inspect magnets and electrical. May just replace with all new backing plates and brakes and call it a day.