cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have you tried Nexen Roadian AT tires?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Search funtion turns up a few threads on the highway tires, but I don't see any on the AT. They get pretty good reviews elsewhere -- and are cheap, which might be a good thing or a bad thing :B. They come in a 123 load rating,

Anybody know about these tires?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
30 REPLIES 30

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the update, work2much!

And I am glad to hear your trip is going well :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
work2much wrote:
They came stock on my new truck.

OEM's tend to put less than stellar tires on new vehicles as a rule. They get them in lots as cheap as possible.

Ditto on both.

My neighbor bought a 2017 RAM Dually last fall. It have the Nexen tires. They rode horrible - one or more tire had problems. He took the truck back to Dave Smith, they rebalanced the tires (he had about 200 miles on it at this point.)

The problem still existed - it was a very odd vibration, enough that he could feel it through the seat.

Dave Smith refused to deal with the problem. They said it was the tire company's problem.

He went to Costco and bought a set of Michelins. Problem solved. He was selling his house and heading south soon, so I told him I'd put the tires on CL and sell them.

We are at 1200 miles now. About 400 of that is with TC. So far no problem. Yesterday we ended up on a detour through a bit of snow. No issues, but not too challenging.

It's hard to compare them to my Michelins because it's a different truck. The truck seems to handle and drive great-better than my 04 with Michelins loaded or unloaded. If the truck drives even better with Michelins I will be thrilled.

I am making inspections of the tires every time we stop for anything. So far so good. If they get us through this trip to Alaska and are still in good shape I will probably use them up. Any trouble and they will be replaced early.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
SidecarFlip wrote:
work2much wrote:
They came stock on my new truck.

OEM's tend to put less than stellar tires on new vehicles as a rule. They get them in lots as cheap as possible.

Ditto on both.

My neighbor bought a 2017 RAM Dually last fall. It have the Nexen tires. They rode horrible - one or more tire had problems. He took the truck back to Dave Smith, they rebalanced the tires (he had about 200 miles on it at this point.)

The problem still existed - it was a very odd vibration, enough that he could feel it through the seat.

Dave Smith refused to deal with the problem. They said it was the tire company's problem.

He went to Costco and bought a set of Michelins. Problem solved. He was selling his house and heading south soon, so I told him I'd put the tires on CL and sell them.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:

Some other tires I have looked at -- Mickey Thompson Baja Stz 123, Kumho Road Venture AT51, and
Cooper Discoverer A/T3 123 -- any comments on these?

I've run the Cooper Discoverer A/T 3 on my old 2006 RAM 2500 MegaCab CTD and liked them alot. I changed the first set out after 42,000 miles and the second set was on it when I traded it with about 38,000 miles and still looked like they could go another 10,000+. I ran the truck very heavy with the camper, trailer and all of the gear through the southwest and off road (nothing extreme). They were quiet and rode nice (til the last 5-6 thousand miles (but that's to be expected). Twice I picked up construction screws in them but had them fixed properly and they still performed well. The last trip with my last set they had about 27,000 on them I traveled through the southwest desert in June (105 degrees) with the camper and trailer to Colorado and back (some on the dreaded I-40 through New Mexico/Arizona) and I thought the potholes and road cracks swallowed them a few times. Didn't bruise any sidewalls though. When my new RAM needs new tires I'll go back to the Cooper A/T 3.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, towpro!

Bah! The Kumho rebate doesn't apply to the AT tires. I am back to undecided.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Kumho for any tire I buy for my cars or the wifes SUV. Just never tried them on a truck yet. I would think about them when its time, but I want Highway Rib tires.

My Camper truck (4wd) hides in the garage all winter. now if we could have snow without salt I might take it out.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Aha! I see the Kumho AT are the only ones I'm interested in that still have the spring rebates going. That's $100 off.

Anybody have any experience with these? I see from an old, old post that jefe4x4 was considering them once upon a time -- I sent him a pm to ask if he actually bought them, but no idea if he is within wifi range right now.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It a fan or Mickey Ts. Had a bad exp with a set, they may be fine.
Cooper AT3s got me around Alaska for a winter just fine. Can't comment on treadwear as most of the miles were on frozen stufff which doesn't wear out tires.
I'd reccomend those if they're on your list.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Naio wrote:
Wow, such a variety of experience! Hard to know what to think.

I wonder if there is something else you guys would recommend for me? IIRC, the transforce are not rated all that great for rain.

Transforce ATs are fine in the rain. Any tire is when it has tread depth. None of them are when almost bald.
They are not awesome in snow and they are worse in wet or deeper snow.
BUT if you're concerned about snow/ice driving, get them siped. It will increase treadwear if heyre loaded to capacity but won't affect treadwear much if you're running them a ways below their limit. Either way, a full width sipe makes almost any tire much better in/on the frozen stuff. My tire of choice for heavy towing in the winter is a full block mud tread (horrible on packed or wet snow) with sipes. Turns them into a whole different tire.
Transforce are cheap tires(cost) comparatively and gained my respect after 5000mi of beating a set down the freeway in July with 8000lbs on the rear axle of my pickup.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Well, that is 2 votes for the Nittos. Oddly, the online reviews elsewhere don't seem to be as good. http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Nitto/Terra+Grappler?px=15#Reviews

Yes, the tires are for my new, bigger, van. GVW will be 9,000-10,000lbs. I figure you TC guys will know the most about AT tires!

Some other tires I have looked at -- Mickey Thompson Baja Stz 123, Kumho Road Venture AT51, and
Cooper Discoverer A/T3 123 -- any comments on these?

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
Wow, such a variety of experience! Hard to know what to think.

I wonder if there is something else you guys would recommend for me? IIRC, the transforce are not rated all that great for rain.

I really liked the Nitto high load index tires than I used to run on my previous 2006 Ram CTD 2500. Terra grapplers I believe. Tough tire.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Naio wrote:
Here is the post I couldn't get to stick last night, which talks sbout what I need in a tire:

I don't need tough or long lasting. I don't drive a lot of miles. (I will not put 20k on them.) I do drive dirt and gravel roads, but I grew up doing that on old highway tires and I am sure any AT would be fine for me. .

What I do need are tires that are good in rain (often) and ice (sometimes) at freeway speeds. The reviews say these are pretty great for both. But I am not sure what the reviewers are comparing them to -- old, bald, highway tires? Or other ATs?

I have BFG KO2's on my current van. But they are so expensive! So I am scouting other options, and among cheap ATS these stood out in the reviews.

Didn't see any of them comparing to BFGs, tho, which is what I REALLY would like.

Many here responded to the topic mostly in terms of use for TC & truck applications. Are you still using these for your van application? If so, then weight carrying capacity might be less of a concern than those who do put a big concern on that aspect.

If you need the extra load Index for weight, then I am a big fan of Nitto Terra Grappler with LI=126 in a 285/17. I get about 30K miles from a set, good tread... but they are a bit pricey ~$250 each out the door with M&B and disposal.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Mine 2015 ram also came with them. They are the upgraded AT ones with raised white letters.
tires are wearing great, but that is because I rotate them every 5000 miles.
I keep inner tires alone on back (ram duallys have different tire pressure sensors in inner rear tires)
I swap LF and RR outer, and swap RF and LR outer.
This keeps tires rotating the same direction, but takes the front tire and runs it flat again on the rear.
13,000 and they still look pretty much new.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the post I couldn't get to stick last night, which talks sbout what I need in a tire:

I don't need tough or long lasting. I don't drive a lot of miles. (I will not put 20k on them.) I do drive dirt and gravel roads, but I grew up doing that on old highway tires and I am sure any AT would be fine for me. .

What I do need are tires that are good in rain (often) and ice (sometimes) at freeway speeds. The reviews say these are pretty great for both. But I am not sure what the reviewers are comparing them to -- old, bald, highway tires? Or other ATs?

I have BFG KO2's on my current van. But they are so expensive! So I am scouting other options, and among cheap ATS these stood out in the reviews.

Didn't see any of them comparing to BFGs, tho, which is what I REALLY would like.