cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire dilemma for TV

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 ram 2500 with 6.7 and 3.42 gears in the 68rfe. The stock tires were slightly over 33 inches but I put some on that were 34.5 shortly after I bought it. Couldn't really tell much difference in towing. Now, it's time for tires again and I've found a deal on some 285/75/18 tires but they are slightly taller and more narrow than what I have now. Am i going to kill my towing ability with this size tire because I'm kicking around the idea of upgrading to a 5ver. Probably something around 10 or 11 thousand pounds.
8 REPLIES 8

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I think the height might be an issue with a fifth wheel but power wise you'll be fine. I pull that weight fifth wheel like it's not there, granted on the stock old man wheels/tires. Your wife is right about how they stock set looks but my cheapness requires that I wear them down before I spend money on a new set. Happily they are **** so they should be toast by the end of summer.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

swampfoxgamecoc
Explorer
Explorer
I have that same size tire! Toto my 285 75 r18. I pull a cougar 337 and it pulls it fine

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
The Ram 2500 is a tall truck to begin with. Lifting the tailgate height even more will likely give you some problems when considering a 5er. You may find yourself having to do trailer modifications at the outset to get it to tow level. Many used units will simply not fit due to stock truck height let alone modified height. You might want to check out a 5er you like and get out a tape measure.

The height it definitely something I worry about. My tailgate is already way up there even with stock tires.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
The Ram 2500 is a tall truck to begin with. Lifting the tailgate height even more will likely give you some problems when considering a 5er. You may find yourself having to do trailer modifications at the outset to get it to tow level. Many used units will simply not fit due to stock truck height let alone modified height. You might want to check out a 5er you like and get out a tape measure.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Crambo wrote:
I actually have my OE takeoffs in my garage still. That's a pretty good idea. I would still be running them but the wife says the truck looks much better with aftermarket wheels. Says the steel wheels look like an old man. I told her I am an old man lol.

Haha, so your OEs are 17s.
Dunno about your neck of the woods but here, ALL the flavors of OE wheels are for sale on Craigslist. I bought a brand new set of black OE 20s, tires and wheels for a grand.
Look much more up to date than the old 5 spoke steelies.
I'd say if you're ok with 34.5" tires, the new ones are still a shade less then 35". Won't be able to tell the difference.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
I actually have my OE takeoffs in my garage still. That's a pretty good idea. I would still be running them but the wife says the truck looks much better with aftermarket wheels. Says the steel wheels look like an old man. I told her I am an old man lol.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No, you'll be fine. They will suck a little more power but you'll do fine with that weight.
If you don't like it, OE takeoff tires are CHEAP. Buy some of them for camper season.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold