Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tip the RV transport driver?

bamaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi friends,

I am paying an RV transport company to move my daughters 32 ft travel trailer from Texas to Florida. The company will charge about $1800 for the move (thanks to all on this forum who earlier helped me determine that was a fair price). The transport will take 2 to 3 days.

I am wondering what I should tip the driver.

Ron F, Cedar Creek, TX
15 REPLIES 15

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
I don't always tip monetarily but do bring in cookies for the vet or breakfast sandwiches for the mechanics that work on my truck. Breakfast sandwiches for the body shop that worked on my truck. The people that installed my carport I bought pizza. Large construction project at the house I provide lunch. Hot day I provide the mail person or sanitation engineer with a cold drink. This cost me very little money and the goodwill it provides is priceless.

These are lovely ideas!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 wrote:
I'd probably have $100 in twenties in my pocket and play it by ear. If it's the basics I'd do $40ish. Anything extra, I'd dip in for more.

THIS.

I always play these situations by ear.

Tipping has always been about appreciation for services rendered.
If YOU are happy with the results....you spread the happiness to others.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
kohai wrote:
There are some jobs that have a base pay that is less than minimum wage because tipping is customary and the end pay is over minimum wage. I don't understand tipping people that are being paid to do their jobs. I don't tip a plumber or an electrician or a lawyer or an accountant or a bookkeeper or the person that checks me out at Home Depot or the grocery store.....
I don't always tip monetarily but do bring in cookies for the vet or breakfast sandwiches for the mechanics that work on my truck. Breakfast sandwiches for the body shop that worked on my truck. The people that installed my carport I bought pizza. Large construction project at the house I provide lunch. Hot day I provide the mail person or sanitation engineer with a cold drink. This cost me very little money and the goodwill it provides is priceless.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Tip enough for a good meal or have the wife bake a pie. Either will be appreciated as much as $100.
This is what I do as well. I provide them with a good meal, no homemade pie though.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Tip enough for a good meal or have the wife bake a pie. Either will be appreciated as much as $100.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
There are some jobs that have a base pay that is less than minimum wage because tipping is customary and the end pay is over minimum wage. I don't understand tipping people that are being paid to do their jobs. I don't tip a plumber or an electrician or a lawyer or an accountant or a bookkeeper or the person that checks me out at Home Depot or the grocery store.....
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Tip him. He's trying to make a living. So he makes 65/hr then drives home empty. That's 32.50/hr and he may feed a wife and 2 kids and on that he has to eat, sleep in a roach motel for $90/night. I never made money towing trailers. Boats yes, trailers no.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
find out if he,s just a driver,or owner operator, just a driver,did a good job,$50. owner ,thanks and send him on his way.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the company, most of these folks are independant contractors employed by the company you are hiring. The driver recieves a per mile payment, and sone form of start/stop payment. The diver has to cover fuel and a set aside towards maintenance, and cover the payment in most cases for purchase of his vehicle, three days is ten percent of the month so that is a substantial part of that months overhead. Their cost are substantial when you think about it. So if you recieve what you consider good service there is no reason not to offer a tip.
No I have never done this type of work, but I had a friend that did and quickly lost his arse when the jobs required 200 to 300 miles travel (unpaid) to get to the next pickup, and did not come up quick enough.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Just my opinion. $100 is too much. I'd give them $50 if they don't mess something up.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

bamaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Your answers covered all the different things I have been thinking. My daughter is unemployed but has found a job in Florida and I'm trying to help her cover her expenses for a while. I might tip the guy hundred dollars if he does a good job but money is tight right now. I appreciate all your thoughts .

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure the dealerships don't tip the drivers.

Are you expecting the driver to back the rv into a difficult location? If yes- I might tip a $20.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
I'd probably have $100 in twenties in my pocket and play it by ear. If it's the basics I'd do $40ish. Anything extra, I'd dip in for more.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
The company may charge the $1800 and hire a driver for a lot less. Don't forget the independent driver had to go through his CDL test and fees etc. He is also performing a specific service for you.
Personally, i would tip the driver 10% of the $1800 as long as it was delivered in one piece and on time.