cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering Baja California 10-Year Tip Required Now?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Rumor is now rife. As of 04/17/2017 "supposedly" any vehicle considered as a motorized "RV" must have a 10-year TIP. No exemptions for distance or time spent.

This needs to be investigated because if it is indeed fact, being unprepared can lead to a bad trip. There already is a Banjercito and Bancomer at Garita 2 (I use it all the time for facturracion meaning to pay import duty on declared items).

How do they make this work for entering at Tecate? I do not know.

What I am sure of is this needs to be researched and made clear and concise.

For those needing a library of congress grade system of cross references to validate my question Baja Nomads Dot Com has a direct reference.

This post is a question not an answer.
48 REPLIES 48

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
What I do not like is the ambiguous attitude Aduana has shown for POE's entering Baja California.

As an example - Tuesday entering Tijuana. Garita 2 entrance I-5

Backup 3-miles into the USA all the way to the ILLEGAL TO ENTER USA WITH MARIJUANA sign on the shoulder on I-5 at Dairy Mart freeway offramp.

2:00PM It took ONE HOUR from there to the red/green light Aduana booths. All lanes plugged solid and stop and go.

All booth lanes were open. Did not count but there must have been 30 Aduaneros lining all booth approaches. All cars had to stop for 15 seconds until the gate raised.

Both sides of the car eyeballs looked inside my car. Lucky for me my toad has new overload springs and sits slightly raised rear. The newer Honda SUV ahead of us with the factory blacked-out windows (Mexican plates) was directed to pull off to the right (six lanes) into the secondary inspection area, even though the light for it flashed green. The guy pointed to the right and whistled. The guys at the other booths halted traffic while the Honda cut across 5 lanes and into the secondary lot. The lot was absolutely jammed packed. A parallel lane directed diverted cars back to the secondary entrance. There must have been over a hundred cars waiting to get inspected.

I've never seen anything like this crossing in Arizona and Texas or even Belice or Guatemala.

Again, this was Tuesday 11 July 2017 at 3:00PM

My Mexican friends were foaming at the mouth. "If they honk their horn, they will be picked out and be forced through secondary" reported Celso from the back seat. The swarm was eerily silent and fuming tempers caused entirely stupid driving maneuvers leaving the area.

The midget and PRI have GOT TO GO.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Han olvidado que Baja y Baja Sur existen :)... They do this all the time.

2 possibilities now - aduaneros in Tijuana will begin asking TIPs for ALL types of vehicles, or the Ley will get amended to exclude Baja and Baja Sur.

Edit-PS: yet another possibility: nothing will change for Baja, i.e. longterm TIP for boats, occasional TIPs for RV, no TIPs for cars.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Oddly enough the SAT regulations mention the area on north Sonora as exempt, but makes no mention of Baja

LINK

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
PNW_Steve wrote:
I must be getting old.......

Aren't we all.
PNW_Steve wrote:

whether or not I would need a TIP for my RV to travel to Bahia de Los Angeles.....

You do, at the border only.

While in Baja, 99 chance out of 100 that you won't have to show TIP to anybody even if you stay there more than 10 years. Unless things change. They did crack down on boat TIPs in Baja though, with real raids. So now "most" gringos who keep boats there, got their boat TIP.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I started this thread because there was an uproar. When ambiguities like this arise the best info comes from actual experience. If someone would have reported yes/no it would have helped.

This time I asked at the puesto de control south of Ensenada. They are checking for stolen cars and cars with no ANAPROMEX Mexican license plates or legal registration. Cars with no ANAPROMEX Mexican license for importation are confiscated. They asked me for my non-Mexican registration. One glance and I was on my way. This was northbound last Friday.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm.....

I have been under the impression for several years that there was something called the "free zone" that covered some portion of Baja and a portion of the state of Sonora where a TIP was not required.

On our last trip to Sonora the MEXICAN BORDER OFFICIALS told us that as long as we did not travel farther South than San Carlos that no TIP was required.

Has this changed? Or have all of the folks who have told us about the "free zone" been lying to us?

I have poked around a bit on other sites looking for confirmation and have not found any similar discussion.

Anyone have any solid info?????
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The law in Mwxico for a foreign registered vehicle to enter is to have a T-emporery I-mport P-ermit (TIP), for all of Mexico including Baja Norte and Baja Sur, since it is a peninsula there is no other outlet other than going back the same way that the vehicle came in to the Bajas, yes you can board a ferry at La Paz and go to the mainland, but the proper paperwork should be available at the ports of entry in to mainland Mexico, big fines and confiscation of the vehicle will probably be enforced.

Can you drive both Bajas without a TIP? Yes unles you have an ocean going RV to cross over to the main land.

In regards to the P-ermiso M-igratorio M-ultiple (PMM) "people visa" that is mandatory in all of Mexico, including both Bajas.

With the hostile environment in Washington DC towards Mexico do not be surprised that the laws governing the Temporary Importation Permits will be enforced in a stricter manner rather than the lenient way from the past years going to Baja Norte and Baja Sur, on the contrary they will become stricter and border inspections will be thorough and tedious checking VIN numbers and very detailed customs inspections at all border crossings.

Mexicans are proud people and do not tolerate insults very well, so the individuals at the border check points will react by making the crossing harder, they do not care about the gringo turista and their rolling mansions, they have been offended, not a good thing.

navegator

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
He did.

Talleyho69
Thought you started this thread.....

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I for one

Do

Not

Know

Yawn Zzzzzzzz

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I must be getting old.......

I have read through this entire thread and do not have a clear understanding of whether or not I would need a TIP for my RV to travel to Bahia de Los Angeles.....

Can someone answer that for me?

Please type slowly and use small words so that I can understand......
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
No it is not a sanctury,the two States are some what exempt from customs duty it was done to help the econmic state of the citizens of the two most neglected territories, Baja Califirnia Norte and Baja California Sur, and tourism was a good economy, until the narcos came along and scared the turistas not just the Gringos, French, Germans, Dutch, in the early 90's the border crossing at San Ysidro wold have anywhere from 8,000 to 12,000 French, Germans, Duch crossing in to Mexico monthly for day trips to Tihuana, that is with out counting those arriving by plane directlly from Europe to take guided tours down Baja to San Jose del Cabo and leaving also by plane from Los Cabos.

The area North of the Mexico and the U.S.A. border is the Alta Califirnia today known as the State of California USA. since the two territories where isolated by water from the mainland the turistas could not escape but have to return, only way out was through the Sate of Sonora and thus the most corrupt customs agency is now operated as the Aduana de Sonoyta.

If FMM's and TIP's (person visa and vehicle permit) are requiered to traverse Baja it is a law that has been in the books for a long time, the changing political attitude is now begining to shape conditions at the borders of both countries, the best we can do is adapt and follow the laws of both countries.

navegator

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the FMM is law. But here in Baja California, as far south as Ensenada, we do not enforce it....

Is that like a "sanctuary" thing?
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The culture brought from Spain still prevails down here...

For FIVE CENTURIES the highest plateau a Mexican can aspire to is not becoming a scientist, an engineer, a doctor, or an artist...

But becoming a BUREAUCRAT

Making laws and regulations without end. This is why the overwhelming majority of Gabachos and Mestizos fear one thing above all others. The fear, TOWERS above all others.

Anarchy

It was proven after the revolution of 1917. Between 1917 and 1925 millions of Mexicans were displaced and starved to death. Enconomias replaced government. And administered at a local level.

The difference in cultures astounds Americans who first learn about how Spain and the church put the screws to this country on a level not only unknown in the USA but in-conceived of. The Spanish heritage thrives especially in the DF region. New laws and regulations are rife. A bureaucrat creates them or is forced out of office.