cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot Water Heater on electric or gas

Which way would the water heater be more efficient? Will be using my Onan this weekend and wondering if it matters what setting I use ??

I am new to the Onan, can you tell ?? :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
21 REPLIES 21

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winnebago has "Motor-Aid" on a lot of their motorhomes. A hose carrying antifreeze from the engine is routed to a pipe in the water heater that carries the antifreeze through the center of the water heater, heating the water as you drive. When you get to the campground, the water is pre-warmed, if not pre-heated.

The MH I sold today had that feature. It worked.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
I disagree with a lot of the posts here.

To burn gasoline to make electricity to turn around and make heat is generally inefficient- particularly with a small engine.

Gas engines are not all that efficient...lots of heat blows out the exhaust, lots of heat blows off from cylinder heads and crank case and etc. Then your generator even has a cooling fan, and the wires to the water heater can heat up...lots of waste.

Lots of good heat that could OTHERWISE been used to heat water.

The water heater isn't 100% efficient either, but the burning gas goes 'directly' to heat up the water, instead of being blown off from a cylinder head, muffler etc. (At least it goes a lot MORE directly).

Now, I also get it that there's additional layers of complication. "The generator is already running"...that might move the scales some. LP from the camp store can sometimes be pricy versus gasoline- and $ wise? Who knows.

Also, there's a lazy factor...filling the gasoline tank can be easier than unhooking the LP tank, hauling it to the refill place, hauling it back, reinstalling it.

Still- small gasoline generators operate well below 50% efficiency while water heaters are generally above 50% in their energy conversion / transfer.

This is a geeky and pure engineering thought, but I've always wondered if there'd be significant energy harvested (and efficiency increases) if an 'exhaust pipe' could be routed into a boiler (or water heater)...Then we'd really be on to something ๐Ÿ™‚

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The water heater rods typically draw 1200 watts. That's a large additional draw.

After market kits such as the "hot rod" are lower wattage.

wildtoad wrote:
If you are running the gen anyway to power the AC or charge batteries the wh will not add much of an additional draw. I would not start the gen just to get hot water.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
If you're camping/snowbirding for months at a time and have to pay separately for your electricity, how do you determine which is more cost-effective or efficient?

Thanks all... It confirms what I had thought, and what I was already doing...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
If you are powering with a generator, you'll probably want your water heater running on gas.

If you are plugged into shore power, it doesn't really matter which way you run your water heater, or even if you run both. Gas will recover faster than electric, and Gas will heat from cold faster than electric too. But gas and electric together are best for fastest recovery.

It's all a matter of how fast you want to heat your water and the available of electricity (shore power or generator).

exactly what we do.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are running the gen anyway to power the AC or charge batteries the wh will not add much of an additional draw. I would not start the gen just to get hot water.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If there is enough wattage I would run the water heater on electric. But make sure brown outs are not happening when the compressor starts. If there are, then move the water heater to gas.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If electric is included in our camping fee, we use electric. If we pay electric . then we use the formula that has been posted to figure out whether the electric rate we are paying vs cost of propane is cheaper, then use whichever is cheaper. If using propane we would let it get hot in the morning for showers, then shut it off. Turn it back on after dinner for doing dishes, then back off for the night. The water stays warm a long time without running the water heater, unless it's really cold/windy out.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Put the water heater on propane AND electric. When the genny is running, electric will keep it hot. When not, propane will keep it hot. If your crew takes multiple showers while the genny is running, hot water recovery will be faster.

MrWizard
Run it on propane
Well heat faster and recover faster
Two A/C will use 25~30 amps around 4kw save the rest for other items in the RV
If ambient temps get really hot, the the A/C and generator will be working hard
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Only on those very occasional nights when I'm in an RV park and plugged in do I operate the water heater on electric....one out of seven last trip...needed to dump! Bobbo and I agree!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
When running my gen I use electric......already generating electrical power so I use it. One fuel vs burning up two
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use electric when electricity is provided by the campground. I use propane otherwise, so if on a generator, it is LP.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB