cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smashed bugs are bugging me!

smokeylew
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased used 2011 NuWa HitchHiker Discover America 345 LK WTB 5th wheel in Kansas and towed it home to So Cal. 1,500 miles of squashed bugs on the front cap sitting high over the bed of my truck. How the heck do you get that cap clean and protected for the next trip?

Got on a tall ladder and cleaned it as best I could but still can see the blood smears and bug goop. What do you guys use to get it clean and protected for the next round of bug splatters?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. :E
20 REPLIES 20

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
smokeylew wrote:
Just purchased used 2011 NuWa HitchHiker Discover America 345 LK WTB 5th wheel in Kansas and towed it home to So Cal. 1,500 miles of squashed bugs on the front cap sitting high over the bed of my truck. How the heck do you get that cap clean and protected for the next trip?

Got on a tall ladder and cleaned it as best I could but still can see the blood smears and bug goop. What do you guys use to get it clean and protected for the next round of bug splatters?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. :E

Teenagers... :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
JTrac wrote:
smokeylew wrote:
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Any recommendations for a good wax? Anything out there with some uv protection? Sun's very intense here in So. Cal. where I live.

I use Rejex which seems to work well. They all claim to be the best and I've tried most of them. The Rejex makes it a little easier to remove the bug stuff in my experience.

I use Rejex also and have been pleased with the ease of bug removal. Most just wash off with a water hose. The dryer sheet also works well for bug removal.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bayley wrote:
smokeylew wrote:
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Any recommendations for a good wax? Anything out there with some uv protection? Sun's very intense here in So. Cal. where I live.

I use "Meguiar's Ultimate Wax". It applies very easily and has the UV protection you need to protect the front cap.
It also makes cleaning the bugs off easy to do.

I switched to Maguiars Flagship line of waxes. A bit more money but the shine is amazing and it lasts longer, IMO.

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
smokeylew wrote:

I use "Meguiar's Ultimate Wax". It applies very easily and has the UV protection you need to protect the front cap.
It also makes cleaning the bugs off easy to do.
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My old '97 5er looks like new and has had nothing but Meguiar's cleaner wax. I wax the unit maybe once every 5-6 years and the front cap 2-4 times a summer.
Many times a water hose with a spray nozzle knocks the bugs right off.

If were gone on a 3k-5k trip over 2-3 weeks I sprat the front cap 2-3 times over a 15-20 min period to soak the slatters....then a wash rag takes 'em right off.
A wax build up on the front cap doesn't acts like a release agent for 70 mph bug splats.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We clean the bugs off every stop using just clear water in a small bucket and our long handled brush. That way they do not get "baked" on and are easier to remove. We have never had a campground say we co9uld not clean the front cap using this method (we always ask). We also use Rejex on the front cap which means the bugs clean off easier too. Our experience with wet dryer sheets was not positive. It left a film on the RV that was difficult to remove.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
smokeylew wrote:

I use Rejex which seems to work well. They all claim to be the best and I've tried most of them. The Rejex makes it a little easier to remove the bug stuff in my experience.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a little trick that works great for bug cleanup on any vehicle.

I can’t take credit for this, a friend who was a hardcore motorcycle rider gave it to me. He rode me into the ground many days over the years cross hauling the US, when the wife’s would let us go. He said he got this trick from an old biker he met somewhere out on the road one time.

Get a bucket of the hottest plain water you can get. The trick is to NOT hose down the area with the bugs first. YOU WANT TO START OUT WITH THE AREA DRY, you don’t want to do anything to cool off the area or the water you are using. Either wipe the area down with a car wash broom or a soft rag using the hot water liberally. It is a little ruff on the hands if you do the rag thing. But the bugs will wipe right off if the water is good and hot. The bugs get melted off rather than scrubbed off.

I do it the first thing before hosing down my vehicles to wash them. It makes bug cleanup on any front ends a lot easier.
2017 Chevy Duramax LTZ with Z71
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2 Hathaway Edition

smokeylew
Explorer
Explorer

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
jfkmk wrote:
Keep it waxed and clean with a wet dryer sheet.

x2
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
, they can be removed real easy with a new or used dryer sheet. Use the dryer sheet like a scrub pad with lots of water and it will not damage your front cap.

This will do the trick for existing Bug remains. Wax as a preventive for future, even then dryer sheets are the thing you need.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Keep it waxed and clean with a wet dryer sheet.

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
I just tried Lucas quick wax from walmart last cleaning. Last trip full of bugs. We had a rainstorm 2 nights ago and the rain washed them all off.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had fair results with a micro fiber rag, bug sponge, or a used dryer sheet and any car wash soap. I get good results with a Love Bug Eraser and car soap. It comes in a set with a handle and extra pads from Amazon. The important thing is an application of a good wax when the cap is clean. And try to clean the bugs off as soon as possible if allowed by the campground.
I don't use anything strong like Simple Green or Purple Power as they remove the wax I spent time putting on.
Enjoy that Hitchhiker, we love ours!