cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to put bikes?

RAMwoodworks
Explorer
Explorer
Just got our new Coachmen Viking 21RD and am of course gonna buy all kinds of accessories. One will be a bike rack. So where do I put them?

Add a back bumper receiver to the trailer?
I've seen multiple horror stories about the bumpers coming off. But hey they make cool brackets to reinforce your bumper. That only leaves getting a good quality hitch rack that'll clear my spare.

Over the tanks rack?
These crazy contraptions look rickety as all git out. Maybe one that has some kind of triangular mounting bracket might make it a little more stable. RV dealer had one of these in the showroom and it had way too many moving parts. The upper bracket moved a good 4 inches with gentle hand pressure.

On my tow vehicle roof?
TV will mostly be a Yukon XL that has the side rails on the roof but nothing else. Only worry there is the inevitable scratch to SWMBO's 'Black Beauty' hoisting the bikes up or down.

Right now 3 bikes max but could expand to 4. Nothing fancy just Roadmaster bikes from Wally Mart.
2017 Coachmen Viking 21RD, 2015 Yukon XL 5.3
If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy, Red Green
43 REPLIES 43

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherguy wrote:

Hmmm, now you've got me thinking... ๐Ÿ˜‰

I put our bikes in the canopy (cap) in the back of the truck but it's getting crowded back there, I like your idea, just throw the cushions onto our bed and put the bikes on the nook. I assume that's velcro or something holding the rear tires?
Are the boards the bikes are attached to screwed down? We travel a lotta rough logging roads, our bikes would bounce around a lot if they weren't anchored. Did you make the brackets for the front forks?

I purchased the Sunlite fork mounts at a bike shop for $16 ea. I screwed the velcro and the fork mounts to the boards. The boards are permanently screwed to the seat panels and flip over when not in use. If going down rough roads, I recommend putting a screw or two into the seat panels. Only one time did a seat panel pop up and move slightly on me during a bumpy road situation.
Since our bikes are worth several thousand $, I use a yardstash portable shed from CW to store them in when at a campground. It'll fit 3 adult and 1 kids bike, but it is tight.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
We use a ladder rack for the back of the tt. Works well and when not taking the bikes we have hung the zero gravity chairs there.
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
krobbe wrote:
My setup:

Hmmm, now you've got me thinking... ๐Ÿ˜‰

I put our bikes in the canopy (cap) in the back of the truck but it's getting crowded back there, I like your idea, just throw the cushions onto our bed and put the bikes on the nook. I assume that's velcro or something holding the rear tires?
Are the boards the bikes are attached to screwed down? We travel a lotta rough logging roads, our bikes would bounce around a lot if they weren't anchored. Did you make the brackets for the front forks?
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
My setup:

Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

RAMwoodworks
Explorer
Explorer
RAMwoodworks wrote:

Those are pretty slick. Better than tossing them on the front bed for sure.

I was going through the Mods thread and saw one where they installed a truck box for a pickup right behind the tanks on the trailer. They then put the battery, chocks etc in there. If I did that I could probably just screw the channel type racks to the top of that for the bikes.

Well that won't work. Even with a 1' wide box and moving the tanks forward a few inches no room for bikes. Looks like they go inside on a platform...
If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy, Red Green

RAMwoodworks
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:

As the old saying goes - a pic is worth a 1000 words. :W

Your wish etc.

Daughter's Stand:

Adult's Stand:

The bikes on the adults stand have the tires on the crosspieces and are arranged front to back. The kickstand rest on the longitudinal sections as you prepare to strap them on and as you tighten the straps the kickstands will rise up.

Those are pretty slick. Better than tossing them on the front bed for sure.

I was going through the Mods thread and saw one where they installed a truck box for a pickup right behind the tanks on the trailer. They then put the battery, chocks etc in there. If I did that I could probably just screw the channel type racks to the top of that for the bikes.

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Your wish etc.

Daughter's Stand:

Adult's Stand:

The bikes on the adults stand have the tires on the crosspieces and are arranged front to back. The kickstand rest on the longitudinal sections as you prepare to strap them on and as you tighten the straps the kickstands will rise up.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an additional option for transporting bikes in a RV trailer - Bike carrying solution....finally!
I love me some land yachting

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
As soon as I got the new TT home I cut off the factory back bumper and installed one that I put a rack for bikes on, also have the spare mounted to the rack.

changed my loaded camper " but no water " tongue weight from 820 to 730 so all is good.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Gee, C.B., wouldn't your family let you buy a big RV?

Still don't have bragging rights Son Cedar Creek 362BBS is 11" longer than my 36CKTS.:(

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Community Alumni
Not applicable
RAMwoodworks wrote:
Not to send this thread astray but if I put one of these light duty receivers up front could I use it for backing my TT into a tight spot? Tongue weight is 542 empty.

How much easier is it when using a front hitch?

Check the limit on the hitch. You typically see a 500 lbs tongue / 5000 trailer limit. Using a front hitch with a high walled trailer can be a wash over backing. People find it easier to maneuver since you're going forward, but you limited visibility around the trailer since you can no longer use your mirrors. Also you have to spend the time dropping the trailer, flipping the truck around, and reloading. With a little practice you can back into the tightest of spots.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:
I made two "stands". One holds the two adult bikes and the other our daughter's. The stands are flat with rubber feet and have a ring at each corner for the cinch straps to attach to. The adult stand is 1" less than the distance between the seat in the slide and the fridge when the slide is in and the two bike are strapped to it vertically so they touch nothing else in the trailer. The daughters stand goes in the entrance way and holds the bike vertically like the adult stand.

It cost all of $30 and half an hour to construct them and we never have a problem. Once you've done it a few times the bikes can be loaded and unloaded in a couple of minutes by one person.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
I made two "stands". One holds the two adult bikes and the other our daughter's. The stands are flat with rubber feet and have a ring at each corner for the cinch straps to attach to. The adult stand is 1" less than the distance between the seat in the slide and the fridge when the slide is in and the two bike are strapped to it vertically so they touch nothing else in the trailer. The daughters stand goes in the entrance way and holds the bike vertically like the adult stand.

It cost all of $30 and half an hour to construct them and we never have a problem. Once you've done it a few times the bikes can be loaded and unloaded in a couple of minutes by one person.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
"We carry ours on the front of the truck."

That's fine for you but I'm not putting my fiberglass flat bar road bike (17 pounds loaded except for water and me) as the leading edge of my Tahoe.

Fiberglass or carbon fiber??? :h