cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No more Rock-n-Roll !

RAMwoodworks
Explorer
Explorer
No, I haven't signed on with Tipper Gore. I just want to relax in my rig and not get seasick when someone else is walking around. I watched several videos and looked at lots of devices and settled on a plan. I needed to brace the frame to the base of the stab jacks.

Seemed so simple I doubted it would work so I fabricated one and installed it. It worked so well I made seven more:

Step one: Take a 5' length of 3/4 electrical conduit and drill a 25/64 hole 2" from the end and weld a 3/8 nut over the hole. Cut about 18" from the other end, hammer it flat and drill a 21/64 hole in it. Repeat 7 more times.

Step two: Take a 5' length of 1/2 electrical conduit and cut about 18" off of it. Pound one end flat and drill a 21/64 hole in it. Repeat 7 more times.

Step three: Raise one stab jack slightly and remove one bolt at the bottom and one at the top. Replace bolt with one about 1 1/2" longer. (I used 5/16x4"). Top bolt gets a 3/4 spacer and the flat end of pipe in step one. Bottom bolt gets an angle bracket on side of jack near axles and the 1/2 conduit along with spacer. Lower jack.

Step four: Do the opposite side same way except feed the 1/2 pipes into the 3/4 pipes. Alternate sides of jacks that pipes are mounted on.

Step five: Mount 4 remaining assemblies to bracket on jack and a point on the frame. I was able to use 2 existing holes and had to drill 2. Watch out for piping and electrical lines!

Step six: Put 3/8x1" bolts into the nuts you welded onto 3/4 pipe and snug up against the 1/2 pipe inside. I went the extra step of welding a T-handle to mine so these would be toolless.

Step seven: Sit back and enjoy the beverage of your choice. I recommend Hangar One over ice.

The spacers are to prevent binding against the jacks when moving up & down. My TT is rock solid and I don't even have my X-Chocks yet.

I can't take credit for this idea but I made 8 of these and installed them in a day including two trips to hardware store. Total cost less than $100.

Original idea?
JT's Strong Arm
2017 Coachmen Viking 21RD, 2015 Yukon XL 5.3
If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy, Red Green
7 REPLIES 7

RAMwoodworks
Explorer
Explorer
Lokin4deer wrote:
So do you leave these installed all the time and just loosen up your T handle bolt?

Yes they stay on. Just loosen the T-Handles and raise the stabilizer jacks. That is why you need the spacer on the two that cross in the back; keeps the bars from interfering with the jacks. Once they're up I'll snug the T-handles back up just so they don't rattle out going down the road.
If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy, Red Green

Lokin4deer
Explorer
Explorer
So do you leave these installed all the time and just loosen up your T handle bolt?
2003 2500 Dodge CTD 48RE 3:73 LSD
2007 Heartland Trailrunner T2700bhs

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Just a word of warning - plain old EMT conduit has a zinc-based (galvanized) anti-corrosion coating. You really, REALLY, want to avoid breathing any fumes when welding.

The treatment for this is MILK. Yep, drink lots of milk for a few days and you'll be right as rain ๐Ÿ˜‰

RAMwoodworks
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Just a word of warning - plain old EMT conduit has a zinc-based (galvanized) anti-corrosion coating. You really, REALLY, want to avoid breathing any fumes when welding.

Roger that!

I removed the Zinc where I was welding and did it outside. I will paint these flat black but wanted to make sure it all worked first.

I have some grinding to do since this was my first time welding. ๐Ÿ™‚
It came out pretty well considering I used a Harbor Freight AC cheapo that I modified to a DCEN welder.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice Job. :C Good price too.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job. I've always said, "If someone else can do it, I can do it too!" Nothing wrong with taking ideas from some where else and doing it yourself.