cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Curt E16 hitch.

evergladesgator
Explorer
Explorer
Old hitch broke. Bought one off Craigs list from a local sheriff. Installed on existing rails, set hitch on rails. Went to pull out hitch handle and will not release. Camper not attached. Any ideas ?
thanks
gator
2000 F250 Super Duty 7.3 PSD.
1999 Skyline 2427 Nomad 5th wheel.Rancho 9000s, Prodigy, Me, wife & two spoiled chihuahuas. PeePee aka Penelope(6/97-7/08) & Hannah (19 now and seen the USA ). New kid Chiquita aka ChiChi.
7 REPLIES 7

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
My E16 locks open after pulling out from under the 5er. There's a bar that holds the jars open. When backing in the KP pushes that bar back out of the way allowing the jaws to close around the KP.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure the jaws aren't already open?

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
Both of my curt hitches stay open when you pull the release until you hook back up to the camper.

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Pull handle should turn, take the two pins out that holding the head on, spray WD40 down were the handle goes into the slide... You should be able to work the slide handle back an fourth ... Also spray some WD40 into the locking device as well, sounds as if there some rust hanging things up ...

Good luck

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Is the safety latch on????
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
evergladesgator wrote:
Old hitch broke. Bought one off Craigs list from a local sheriff. Installed on existing rails, set hitch on rails. Went to pull out hitch handle and will not release. Camper not attached. Any ideas ?
thanks

Call the cops for help, or just the sheriff himself!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Any time I bought used equipment such as a 5th wheel hitch I do a tear down R&R. If I'm satisfied nothing is bent/broke/cracked I lube it and assemble it ....and fine tune it till it works better than new.

I would suggest going online and find a web that brings up a diagram of the hitch mfg parts.
And a owners manual that tells you how that particular hitch works.

Google and youtube can be a big help in your case
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides