cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY: Replaced the delaminated front Filon on my trailer!

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a 2011 Zinger 19RDS last year for a steal.....mostly because it had a few bubbles in the sheet of filon material that is wrapped over the front of the trailer....it was starting to delaminate. Even though I had gone through it and resealed everything, it seemed like every month that went buy, the bubbles, wrinkles and warping on the front got worse. It finally got bad enough where I decided to do something.

I took the molding off on both sides, the bottom side where it joined the chip/rock guard, and top where it joined the metal roof. After that was all off and cleaned up, the front pretty much just came right off. It was actually in better shape than I thought....I think most of the moisture must have got in around a marking light at one time. (Every time I mess with this thing I'm amazed at how cheap it's built!)

So once I had the sheet of filon off, I got two powder coated 4x8 sheets of .020 aluminum sheets from a local metal supply house. I overlapped them 10", and joined them with some 3M VHB structural double sided tape, and 3M 5200 marine adhesive....and let it dry a few days.

I then started the tedious process of adjusting, fitting, and adjusting some more, until I got the aluminum sheet centered up and aligned just right. Next I started screwing down all of the trim, and sealing everything back up.

The finishing touch was to put a piece of .040" aluminum diamond plate on the front to replace the ugly white metal chip guard what was on it.

All finished....what do you think? When it was all said and done, it cost me around $200. Now I just need to put some graphics back on the front.

26 REPLIES 26

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
Great job!! Excellent workmanship.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the added info.
I love me some land yachting

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
Very nicely done!

Curious as to the reasoning behind the gauge aluminum sheeting you used and why you ended up with the .020. Did you feel .020 was adequate, was it a cost thing, was the .020 readily available in large sheets in your area? Do you feel you will be susceptible to rock dings now I guess is the reason I really am asking.

It looks really nice and am considering doing the same to mine as I did have a bit of water intrusion by way of some cracked marker light lenses. My front doesn't look quite as bad as yours did before your repair but my front panel condition still bothers me and I may sell my TT a few years down the road, would want it to look nice both inside and out.

I went with the .020โ€ white aluminum sheets for two reasons. The first being that the local shop stocks it, and the second is because it makes it easy to bend and conform to the front of the camper. If I would have went any thicker, I think it would have been really difficultโ€ฆ.REALLY difficult to bent it down over the front and make it look nice and smooth. The .020โ€ aluminum was easy to work withโ€ฆ..but plenty strong enough to do what it needs to do.

As far as rock dingsโ€ฆ.Iโ€™m hoping that the .040โ€ aluminum diamond plate takes the brunt of the rock hits. I never really saw any rock dents in the factory white corrugated metal what was on the frontโ€ฆand it was pretty thin, probably .020โ€ or thinnerโ€ฆ.so I think the diamond plate will hold up just fine.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
You have done a really nice job on the repair, and if it was a great deal up front then your labor was for sure worth it. I wonder if it was really water that caused the delamination or just the glues failing and layers coming apart underneath causing the bubbles. Either way you have a better than new looking rig and I hope you enjoy your time in it.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Very nicely done!

Curious as to the reasoning behind the gauge aluminum sheeting you used and why you ended up with the .020. Did you feel .020 was adequate, was it a cost thing, was the .020 readily available in large sheets in your area? Do you feel you will be susceptible to rock dings now I guess is the reason I really am asking.

It looks really nice and am considering doing the same to mine as I did have a bit of water intrusion by way of some cracked marker light lenses. My front doesn't look quite as bad as yours did before your repair but my front panel condition still bothers me and I may sell my TT a few years down the road, would want it to look nice both inside and out.
I love me some land yachting

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
Very nice work!

Did you bond the AL sheets to the framing in front or is it floating over that area?

It's floating in the center just like the factory piece was. I didnt want to screw it down to the framing because I think it would make it look really wavy....I wanted a nice and smooth look. I did measure where all of the supports were so in case I ever needed to go back and screw it down I could. I've seen several other campers with the front set up to float around in the center.....so I don't think I will have any issues. It's screwed down all around the top, sides, and bottom.....I don't think ita going anywhere (knock on wood).

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice work!

Did you bond the AL sheets to the framing in front or is it floating over that area?
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
That looks GREAT! You should be very proud of yourself. I am impressed at your ability and your resolve to take on this repair.

I just cleaned up and reused the trim that was on there. I did put in a new white plastic insert cover on the trim...it was $20 for 20ft.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
That looks GREAT! You should be very proud of yourself. I am impressed at your ability and your resolve to take on this repair.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
MUCH BETTER! ๐Ÿ™‚

Where did you get the side trim and how much does it run?

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
That is an awesome job. I wish manufacturers would stop using filing, but they know if they all stick together then more sales will present down the line after catastrophic failure of the material.

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Was the old material actually Filion or something else, like counter top material?

It was definitely the oem Filon material with the cardboard backing on it. Really cheap stuff. I think the majority of the delaminaton was just from Missouri heat and humidity....still not sure why they use that stuff....there are so many other options out there that won't start to look horrible after a few years.

RAMwoodworks
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Nice job.
2017 Coachmen Viking 21RD, 2015 Yukon XL 5.3
If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy, Red Green

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome! Nice job, great write up.