cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Verizon?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm getting fed up with T-Mobile, mainly account issues. So I'm thinking about changing to Verizon. Any comments on that, especially their coverage out west in the parks. I'm also thinking about the Moto cell phone

Thanks
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
33 REPLIES 33

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
A number of us are only paying $20/mo for unlimited AT&T data.
I've seen the fine print on that.

What fine print is that?
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax

PyrateSilly
Explorer
Explorer
We've been with Verizon for about 12 years. Still grandfathered into the original full unlimited data plan. Just last month I used about 45gb and my wife used about 55gb. We use the data for everything from just looking things up on the phone itself to hooking it for the data to the laptops, the Roku and to the PS3.
Abigail and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV.

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
Been with VZW for 20 years. Not perfect but it has gotten better.
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

hclarkx
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
We have Verizon and have had T Mobile as well as AT&T. Besides driving around with the camper, I travel a lot for work. I much prefer Verizon.

We buy the new OnStar 20 GB for $150, good for 1 year, plan. The reason is that we RV only intermittently totaling about four months per year and can pack our 20 GB into those periods (from 1 to 5 weeks each). The monthly plan would be cheaper only if one could turn it off in the months we are not RV'ing. I don't think that's possible.

20GB is enough because nearly half the time we are out-of-range of an AT&T cell tower so can't use it. It boils down to about 6-8 weeks of actual usage.

BTW, we do find the Verizon cell service to be better in remote areas of the Western US States, doing as well as or better than OnStar in spite of it's roof-top antenna.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
We have Verizon and have had T Mobile as well as AT&T. Besides driving around with the camper, I travel a lot for work. I much prefer Verizon.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The first 22GB are solid 4G/LTE, and after that the plan is subject to "deprioritization".
Doesn't sound so bad.. unless you do a lot of streaming and they actually do throttle you.

"Throttling" is a lot different than "deprioritizing". Throttling is a permanent slow down to usually almost unusable speeds for the balance of the data plan cycle. Deprioritizing only places your data further back in the queue when the tower is busy, resulting in some degree of slowdown dependent on just how congested the tower is at the time. As soon as the busy period ends, your data goes back to normal. In the several months that we've been using our AT&T Homebase unit that's always subject to deprioritizing when away from our "home" area in our RV up and down the east coast, we've yet to see any indications of any significant slowdowns. We've streamed numerous TV shows and movies during prime time hours with no problems. We haven't had the Mobley long enough to use up the first 22GB yet, but I don't expect it will be any different.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The first 22GB are solid 4G/LTE, and after that the plan is subject to "deprioritization".
Doesn't sound so bad.. unless you do a lot of streaming and they actually do throttle you.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

I don't know what you've read, but the AT&T "Connected Car" unlimited data $20/mo plan as spelled out in the "fine print" works quite well for us. The first 22GB are solid 4G/LTE, and after that the plan is subject to "deprioritization" (or what VZW calls "network management") that can slow down speeds when a tower is congested, returning to full speed when it clears up.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Shhh
or Verizon will raise rates again
we have had verizon since day 1. Like it, but hate the price
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Cell coverage in the western national parks is spotty at best, regardless of the carrier. The terrain generally doesn't lend itself to easy cell coverage and the parks aren't very agreeable to numerous cell towers being built.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Starting my 4th year of fulltiming and been using Verizon since day 1. I just don't think you can beat their coverage.

I started out with Straight Talk and a phone that used the Verizon system = $45/month. That may be a good option for you. You get the Verizon coverage and a cheap plan.

I have now switched to the new Verizon unlimited plan because I am using my phone to tether. For a single like me - $80/month. They use a sliding scale. For 2 or more people it's $100 plus $20 per phone or device. That's why you see the big advertising of $45 per line (4 people).

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I was a Sprint dealer and had a Verizon phone because of use in the RV. Does that give you a clue to which one has the best coverage.

Traveling in almost every state so far the Verizon coverage has been excellent. Add a mobile amp and it can even be better.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I travel the entire western US for work. In my experience, Verizon by far has the best network coverage. You might pay more, but coverage wise, you do get more.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman