cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alberta to Quebec

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey, I'm planning a 4 week trip to eastern Canada (Edmonton to Quebec City is the longest leg) for 2018 and I'm trying to decide which route to take east. Is it best to go straight through Canada or should I travel south and go through the US (mostly hwy 2 I believe) and cross back into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie. I'm looking to do the drive as quickly as possible and they are basically the same distance, so I"m just wondering if anyone has any experience with these various routes and would recommend one (better highways, less stops through towns, better traffic, etc...). Thanks!
Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
12 REPLIES 12

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
fanrgs wrote:
If you want a campground east of Duluth for a multi-night stay, we highly recommend a very nice city park campground in Gladstone, MI. It is called Gladstone Bay Campground and is located on the edge of town near the shore of Lake Michigan in a quiet, residential part of town. It has long, level, pull-thru FHU sites for $25/night and the sites are fairly wide and have grass and a few trees between sites. You can check out what others say about the campground HERE.

If you wanted to drive a little way off US 2 for a multi-night stay, you might enjoy spending time on Lake Superior at Pictured Rocks National Seashore, located east of Marquette on the northern coast of the Michigan UP. However, Hurricane River CG is a very popular place with RVers and FC-FS, so you might want to get there early in the day. It does not have any hook-ups, just water, but the sites are large, private, and close to the beach. So, you can fall asleep to the sound of waves lapping up on the shore.

Have a great trip where ever you stay!

Thanks, very good info. I'll check them out!
Camper:
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
luckyd wrote:
As a Canadian, I feel that when I say "I went across Canada"
this means I actually drove across Canada.

We did this three years ago and came back across the USA.

We took Hwy 2 one other time when we were not doing the complete
trip.

What was the point of this post?
Camper:
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

Paoli
Explorer
Explorer
luckyd wrote:

trip.

Living in BC we have done that 6 times and never went through the US.
We took different routes, except entering Quebec we went through Salaberry to avoid the hassle around and in Montreal.
The Yellowhead Highway and Trans Canada Highway were taken if in a bit of a hurry.
But we also took several secondary roads, staying overnight in small towns.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a campground east of Duluth for a multi-night stay, we highly recommend a very nice city park campground in Gladstone, MI. It is called Gladstone Bay Campground and is located on the edge of town near the shore of Lake Michigan in a quiet, residential part of town. It has long, level, pull-thru FHU sites for $25/night and the sites are fairly wide and have grass and a few trees between sites. You can check out what others say about the campground HERE.

If you wanted to drive a little way off US 2 for a multi-night stay, you might enjoy spending time on Lake Superior at Pictured Rocks National Seashore, located east of Marquette on the northern coast of the Michigan UP. However, Hurricane River CG is a very popular place with RVers and FC-FS, so you might want to get there early in the day. It does not have any hook-ups, just water, but the sites are large, private, and close to the beach. So, you can fall asleep to the sound of waves lapping up on the shore.

Have a great trip where ever you stay!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

luckyd
Explorer
Explorer

trip.

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks, I'll check it out!
Camper:
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
We would stay at the Michigamme Shores Campground, about 30 miles west of Marquette, Mi when coming home from Edmonton(actually St. Albert). There is new ownership now and we found the place was not as nice as the old owners kept it. We would stay for a couple of days. You can check it out.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm leaving from Edmonton and will travel around 800km a day. I'm not planning on camping if it's only one night, I'll just book a motel or stay at a Walmart or something. What I was asking about were recommendations for really nice camping sprts where I could spend a couple of nights to rest after three or four days of long driving before arriving in Montreal. Somewhere past Deluth.
Camper:
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on how many miles you want to make in a day. Where do you want to be to take a two or three day break. Where are you leaving from? The Havre Fairgrounds on the west end of Havre is not too bad a place to stop for the night. Just water and electric, no sewer. The Roughrider Campground on the west side of Minot, ND is a fair place to stop for the night. The Royal Oaks RV Park in the south end of Bemidji, Minnesota is a good place also. Once you get to Wakefield, MIchigan you'll do better Taking Hwy # 28 through Marquette all the way to I75 north to the Sault. I haven't any idea about campgrounds up that way and on to Quebec City.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
VE3PJF

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks! I was leaning going through the states so this is good info. I plan on doing the drive to Montreal in about 4 days, stopping just for the night the first two nights but then taking a little break and finding a nice campground for two or three nights.. Any recommendations on a really nice place to set up camp for a couple days along the way? Thanks,!
Camper:
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
We always took #2 going and coming home. We turned south at St. Ignace tho'. Good highway and plenty of fuel stations along the way. There are good campgrounds along the way also. Speed limits vary according to the State your in.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
VE3PJF

luckyd
Explorer
Explorer
We took Hwy 2 for the price on fuel.
The road condition was also better.

Be aware of all the small towns that
have 25, 35, 0r 45 speed limits.

Easy drive for less cost.