cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does Solar Power have to be installed perm?

harveysmoms
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen some people set up solar panels next to their camper at a site where there is no power hook up at all. But now that I'm researching solar power for my RV, it seems like all need to be wired permanently. Is it possible to just pop them up and hook them to the battery when I want it and then store them away when I don't want them?
18 REPLIES 18

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Portable solar panels can gather more power when camping in shady areas but I don't want to put them out, watch them and put them away at least once per day. More if you want to go somewhere. Additional panels on the roof can make up most of the difference.

This is what I do. Added an extra panel on the roof. I have enough stuff to setup and take down, don't want to have to deal with portable panels as well. Plus they are fragile (glass). Might get blown over in the wind, might be stolen, etc.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
i have one panel that i use when i need it. i have about a 25 foot cord that connects directly to the battery. works well for me, move it as needed to keep int he sun. on top of the truck, next to the trailer, truck or whatever. we only use it when out in the desert or at the lake as it keeps my two group 31 agms happening. good Luck & Be Safe

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
I need some wild

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
My set up. It has a 50 foot lead so I can park in the shade.

I need some wild

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Two or more "12" volt panels (19-20v) and wire in series up to as much as an MPPT controller allows. This way you maximize your amps and actually charge if overcast and less voltage drop from the panels to the controller if you are 20-50 feet of cable with the higher voltage.

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Not a good idea, could possibly walk away or as we seen it a few yrs ago in Yuma, guy buys a panel one day and the next day brings it back to dealer for warranty, had blown over in the night and shattered on a small rock, costs was $675. and no warranty, bolt it down.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
April 25, 2017. My panels were busy powering the fridge on 12 volt DC while I was driving down the road. I did notice I got 16.9 amps @ 13.9 volts at one point during the day. That's 234 watts from a flat install of 256 watts of panels. Location was 51.509190, -105.009485

The panels are from 2005.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Have 2 portable, they slide behind the couch when not using
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
harveysmoms wrote:
I have seen some people set up solar panels next to their camper at a site where there is no power hook up at all. But now that I'm researching solar power for my RV, it seems like all need to be wired permanently. Is it possible to just pop them up and hook them to the battery when I want it and then store them away when I don't want them?

yup. that's what we do. disadvantage is finding a place to store them and they can grow legs. and you don't get any charging while driving down the road.
Advantage, you can park in the shade and still have solar.

you do need a charge controller just like permanent mount units, but that should be mounted near the batteries.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Portable solar panels can gather more power when camping in shady areas but I don't want to put them out, watch them and put them away at least once per day. More if you want to go somewhere. Additional panels on the roof can make up most of the difference.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
My Renology solar set up connects directly to the battery via alligator clips. It's simple.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes you can do portable. Most get bored with set-up and removal so they just mount them on the roof. Some do stick it out with portable to better capture the sun in certain conditions.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are solar suitcases available that can connect directly to the battery. We have a Renogy 100 watt suitcase that I use in conjunction with my roof mounted solar and since it can be re-positioned throughout the day we can maximize it's output.

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
During the run of the renaissance faire I was at, one person had two roll-up solar panels, each being about 15 feet, and were staked into the ground. I would hazard a guess that this would give 200-300 watts, but because they were pointed vertically, a MPPT controller would be a must.

I would go for two panels on a portable frame, and a MPPT controller, just so you can get every single watt from them.

Don't forget to tether them down with something. Even a thin steel cable ensures they don't become someone else's "ground score".