cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gps loses signal

HappiRVer29
Explorer
Explorer
hi, not sure if in right chat area but i have a question about our gps. We keep losing the signal. I have taken it in and RV store can't find the issue. Can anyone tell me where to locate the sensor? I am trying to see if its a loose wire or something simple. It comes and goes, which is why i am checking that, thanks
8 REPLIES 8

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
GPS is a Satellite service, Just like DISH or DIRECTV.. you might want to read a few posts about the "Evil Signal Eating Tree" as it applies to GPS as well

My GPS works if it has a CLEAR view of the southern sky.. But My RV is wood and fiberglass and glass so not a lot of obstruction there.. My car, however, is steel, if I set the GPS up in the windshield area it works, going south but I've had cases where it looses sync going north because the roof is in the way.

I've had it loose sync on a "Tree lined street"

And I've had it loose sync due to lots of steel/concrete buildings or overhead wires.

gps just needs a reasonably clear view of the sky, not necessarily southern sky since the satelites aren't geo syncronous. but it needs a fix from at least 3 sat's to get your location, 4 to get elevation.

and vegitation, buildings are big attenators for the signal. deep canyons limit the number of sat's you can see. all bad. and metal is a big shield.

Now, the quality of the chipset in gps recievers varies all over the place. there are low power ones, there are high sensitivity ones, and everything in between. a low power unit is great for saving battery power but not good for reception. vice versa for the high sensitivity chip sets.
As an example the first spot units had a low power chip set to save battery life, but was terrible at getting a fix if you were moving or not in a clear location. the later units got much better fixes at the expense of lower battery life.

Likewise on different garmin handheld units. the early etrex suffered reception problems, the later units with a better chipset were far superior.

And, like a sat phone, gps does NOT work well inside any enclosed area. doesn't make any difference if it is metal, wood, plastic.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
GPS is a Satellite service, Just like DISH or DIRECTV.. you might want to read a few posts about the "Evil Signal Eating Tree" as it applies to GPS as well

My GPS works if it has a CLEAR view of the southern sky.. But My RV is wood and fiberglass and glass so not a lot of obstruction there.. My car, however, is steel, if I set the GPS up in the windshield area it works, going south but I've had cases where it looses sync going north because the roof is in the way.

I've had it loose sync on a "Tree lined street"

And I've had it loose sync due to lots of steel/concrete buildings or overhead wires.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Moved from Forum Technical Support

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
NavTek and Rand are the map suppliers of the mapping data. You really need to find the manufacturer of this thing. Is a factory install? If not posting a pic here might shake someones memory
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
The GPS antenna needs a clear line of sight to the satellites, and it needs good signal from 4 satellites to get a fix (3 satellites if using WAIS). Satellites close to the horizon are automatically not used by the GPS receiver. Almost anything will mask the satellite and the signal will be lost. Many RV manufacturers put the GPS antenna under the plastic dash near the front of the vehicle, but the vehicle body itself will mask the signals. Metal body is the worst offender for masking. The best place to put the antenna is on the roof.

My old Roadtrek was built with the GPS antenna under the dash and I'd loose signal all the time. I moved it to the top of the dash and all the way down to the base of the windshield and that helped a lot, but didn't solve the problem entirely. My next move would have been to put it on top of the RV but I sold it before I got that project started.

Had a similar problem when I installed an in-dash GPS in my Jeep. I initially placed the antenna at the base of the windshield but it would loose signal. So I relocated it to the top of the roll cage right behind the driver and haven't had a problem since.

You can see the same thing with SirrusXM reception, but there it's even worse. Fewer satellites in orbit to grab a signal from and unlike GPS the radio can't "coast" over short signal loss periods.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a moderator move this to Technology Corner. This forum is for technical support for the forum (web site) itself.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

HappiRVer29
Explorer
Explorer
it is an in dash unit, part of the radio, camera, dvd and gps, not sure of make but it says NAVTEQ, I am trying to get hold of rand mcNally to try to fix it. Right now it is sitting in my driveway and the gps signal is coming and going, while rv is parked. Thanks for asking

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
What make GPS?

All gps's loose signal depending on terrine and even weather conditions....It's a satellite thing.

Also, where are you mounting your unit?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro