cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's in here?

RAMwoodworks
Explorer
Explorer
In my 2017 Viking 21RD there is a radio in the cabinet above the dinette. What is in the space above it that is closed off?

2017 Coachmen Viking 21RD, 2015 Yukon XL 5.3
If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy, Red Green
22 REPLIES 22

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ralph day wrote:
I put a kill switch for my sound system too. Not because of battery drain primarily, but because of the nite lite effect of the lcd screen, even when not in use. It lit up the front of the trailer such that sleep eluded me.

Also put a flap over the fridge control panel. And a piece of electrical tape over the CO/propane detector led. I like it dark for sleeping.

I have to put a piece of tape over the microwave clock at night. Otherwise it is such a bright green light that it lights up the whole TT.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Timtation wrote:
I have a much older camper that had an option of radio, radio with stacked cd changer etc. so the verticle space was empty unless it was filled with optional stuff that still only took up 2/3 of the space. I suppose I could add a subwoofer or mini TV or you name it small devices to make my 2003 seem newer. I prefer to leave it empty expecting Homeland Security to tear it open and find nothing, making America Great again.

Ha Ha Ha Ha . I love it. ๐Ÿ˜„

ralph_day
Explorer
Explorer
I put a kill switch for my sound system too. Not because of battery drain primarily, but because of the nite lite effect of the lcd screen, even when not in use. It lit up the front of the trailer such that sleep eluded me.

Also put a flap over the fridge control panel. And a piece of electrical tape over the CO/propane detector led. I like it dark for sleeping.

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
On mine, I removed the panel, bundled the wires off to the side, made a hinged door to match the other doors and this added more space for us.

I have done that all over the trailer where there was usable space behind blank panels

Guy

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar setup stereo with CD player with a blank panel on both sides. Son-in-law had his hand on one and pushed it in. Wasn't glued very well. just an empty space. I have yet to glue the piece back in. debating what I want to do. re-attach the panel or use the space for something.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
I have a much older camper that had an option of radio, radio with stacked cd changer etc. so the verticle space was empty unless it was filled with optional stuff that still only took up 2/3 of the space. I suppose I could add a subwoofer or mini TV or you name it small devices to make my 2003 seem newer. I prefer to leave it empty expecting Homeland Security to tear it open and find nothing, making America Great again.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
To answer the OP's question.

Air

Even if you outside speaker is in there I bet you could gain a lot of storage space by doing some modifications.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Here you go, I took a look for you......:E

LOL that was nice of you to do that for him. ๐Ÿ™‚

RAMwoodworks
Explorer
Explorer
RAMwoodworks wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
If they mounted a TV on the outside of the trailer LOL. What I would do and what I actually did was remove the panels and make a compartment to house the radio and wiring. Then use he new found space for anything you want to do with it. On my trailer they used up a huge storage space for my charger, converter, circuit breaker box, and it was closed up and very hot. I now have a place to store shoes and other things and the converter can breather better!

That's next on my agenda. I completely gutted one of these two years ago and have an idea of how sloppy everything is. I can barely get my 30 Amp cord into the bay and I'm sure there is a mess in there. I have to disassemble the sofa to remove the panel but it'll be fairly easy.

I may put a standard house hvac return grill on the front for simpler access in the future and to allow some airflow.

Well it was easy getting the sofa off and figuring out why I couldn't get the cord stowed. But that led to a whole new adventure
If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy, Red Green

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I used a putty knife to pry off the panel. Had some wires behind, I tied them together and now have space for stuff
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go, I took a look for you......:E

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
mine was like that too!
I pulled the radio and found a 15' RCA cable that only needed to be 1' long but other than that, the whole area was empty.
I reworked it to make room for a VCR/DVD player and there's still room for more.

RAMwoodworks
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Your outside speaker is in there. Probably closed off as well. But you never know.

Forgot it even had an outside speaker. It is right there.

RAMwoodworks
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
If they mounted a TV on the outside of the trailer LOL. What I would do and what I actually did was remove the panels and make a compartment to house the radio and wiring. Then use he new found space for anything you want to do with it. On my trailer they used up a huge storage space for my charger, converter, circuit breaker box, and it was closed up and very hot. I now have a place to store shoes and other things and the converter can breather better!

That's next on my agenda. I completely gutted one of these two years ago and have an idea of how sloppy everything is. I can barely get my 30 Amp cord into the bay and I'm sure there is a mess in there. I have to disassemble the sofa to remove the panel but it'll be fairly easy.

I may put a standard house hvac return grill on the front for simpler access in the future and to allow some airflow.