cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Tongue Jack LED light comes on after a rain

LeoandLil
Explorer
Explorer
So I have an LCI/Lippert electric tongue jack with two switches: one for the small LED lights and one to raise and lower the jack. After a recent rainy night, I went out in the morning and found the LED lights ON even though the switch was OFF. This has happened twice now.

Fortunately, I keep my trailer here on my property and connected to 120VAC power, but if I had kept it in a storage lot I would have come back to a dead house battery and would not have any idea why. That would have been a tough troubleshooting task for sure.:h

Upon closer inspection I found that when the light switch is in the OFF position, it opens up a 1/32" gap along the top edge of the switch. And, it looks like they selected a switch designed to be an interior switch with no rain/moisture seal at all. I guess we have now answered the age-old question: How dumb can they be? :S

Anyway, if you have this type of jack and you can't figure out why your house battery keeps going dead, you might try disconnecting the LED switch and see it the problem goes away. Stay safe and Happy camping y'all!
2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS ("near-luxury" couples coach)
10 REPLIES 10

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow! A 5 year old thread is resurrected.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Use contact cleaner for boards and sensitive elecreical stuff, find a switch you can use that will have a watertight seal.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
LastChance4us wrote:
I had this problem and research it to find the true root cause. Remove the cover and carefully inspect the circuit board mount. I found that moisture is getting in between the circuit board and it’s plastic mount. The moisture sits right at the terminals that are the on off switch connector. I cleaned it, dried it and put a thine careful bead of sealant around this plastic rim and Vaseline on the terminal to resist moisture.

WD-40 works beautifully for drying out electrical stuff (the "WD" part refers to "Water-Displacing").

Silicone dielectric grease is another option for improving the long-term water resistance of the switch - It's thicker than Vaseline, and keeps its consistency even in very hot weather.

LastChance4us
Explorer
Explorer
I had this problem and research it to find the true root cause. Remove the cover and carefully inspect the circuit board mount. I found that moisture is getting in between the circuit board and it’s plastic mount. The moisture sits right at the terminals that are the on off switch connector. I cleaned it, dried it and put a thine careful bead of sealant around this plastic rim and Vaseline on the terminal to resist moisture.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe you can replace it with one of these rocker switches.
http://www.mpja.com/DPST-Rocker-Switch-with-Dust-Cover/productinfo/30052+SW/

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Is it a common toggle switch?

No, the LCI tongue jack uses flat rocker switches like this which are clearly not weather tight or even weather resistant. 🙂 I replaced my own LCI tongue jack with an UltraFab 3502 which does have sealed toggle switches. 🙂
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Is it a common toggle switch? If so you can get one of these Rubber covers for it and it will stay dry. I've had a couple on my jack (one for both the light and motor switch) for 13 years and they still works perfect.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
My tongue jack permanently wears a bag ...

... and when parked at home the entire tongue is covered as well to prevent sun fading of the black plastic parts.

Never have had the issue the OP describes. 🙂
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The LEDS operates with so little current that even a drop of water across the ON-OFF switch may pass enough current to make them come on... That has happened to me as well on one of my ceiling LED BOARDs I installed in my trailer. I actually had a pin hole through the roof right above my light fixture and I repaired it with a screw and sealeant screwed into the small hole. It was not a good seal... Then everytime we had a real long rain this would happen to me as well...

Made me fix my small hole better haha...

Perhaps you can spray something all around where the water may be coming into contact with the on-off switch or cover it with electric tape or heat shrink etc...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
And another reason for a true battery disconnect switch.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.