cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Updating the trucks GPS

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Ram 3500 DRW.Does anyone know what you get for the $$ on the update on the factory GPS? Thanks
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL
7 REPLIES 7

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Don't know about the Ram, but I do like mine in my Ford. Took a little while to really learn the voice commands. They must be exactly phrased as the GPS wants it. But after getting that right, I can talk to her reasonably well.

I have two older Garmins with lifetime updates, but much prefer the built in unit with large screen over one sitting on top of the dash.

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Well this makes me wonder if updating is worth the money. We do travel a lot,but ours works fine for what we do. Thanks for the info
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I had hoped that a GPS update for my Silverado would also fix the terrible user interface and routing problems but Chev says it doesn't change any of that. I basically don't use it - I use my motorcycle Garmin Zumo instead - free map updates for life.

AGREE , I just checked on updating maps for my Ram 3500. User interface does not get updated and it is terrible even though it is a garmin system. I use only voice command for navigation and the Ram is less than useless. In my car I have a Garmin 2595 LM which works well.
I don't know why the truck manufacturers don't use the same interface system as the Nuvi's?

So I just bought a new Garmin 660 lmt for the TV. Just installed it last night after updating all maps. Will see how well it works for me.
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I had hoped that a GPS update for my Silverado would also fix the terrible user interface and routing problems but Chev says it doesn't change any of that. I basically don't use it - I use my motorcycle Garmin Zumo instead - free map updates for life.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you live in a fast growing area, or travel a lot in unfamiliar areas, updates will get you newer information on new streets and highways. Where I live is growing at a very rapid rate. New streets and whole new neighborhoods are constantly being built. And major highways are frequently revised adding lanes and reconstructed interchanges. Even two years can make a difference in GPS accuracy. So updates are useful. If you live in a area with little growth and rarely travel to growing areas, then updates would be less useful.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
The update on my Expolder is $150 and if I act now I get free shipping for an SD card!!
I use the car GPS to get me in the general area but specifically to monitor major road traffic that hasn't changed in years. For specific navigation I use Navigon on the iPhone that updates quarterly for free.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
At least in California...what new roads? Parks? Hmmmm...none.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad