cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar vs generator

Ladyeeyore
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2018 coachman freedom express. Some of our camping trips may involve boondocking. Is it better to invest in the solar panels or a generator. We were also told that we could install a second battery.
Any thoughts?
25 REPLIES 25

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
"Some of our camping trips may involve boondocking"
"Some" and "May"; these are the key words. So my question is, how much money are you willing to throw at the "some" and "may" problem? That will determine the answer to your question. If the key words were "all" and "will" you could very well come up with a very different answer.

I have had a camper for over 15 years, I have never used a generator or solar. Only three of the camping trips in the camper involved dry camping for more than a day. In all of those instances I was able to survive for a week on just the batteries by being a minimalist. All other times we had electric. I just don't see solar or a generator in my foreseeable future. The "some" and "may" just don't add up for me.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
If you use solar you need to park in the sun, unless you have movable panels. Also you need sun shine.

Solar is for the folks who adjust their camping style accordingly, generators are for those just want to pull the starter cord and add gas.

The bigger question is does you family like boondocking in the first place.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
We generally camp with no hookups and have both solar and a gen, and wouldn't be without either of them. Once you have solar you will wonder what you ever did without it... The gen is a great backup when the weather is bad or when you want to run high draw items such as the microwave, coffee maker without killing the batteries quickly.

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
It really isn't an either or question. It all depends on what you end up finding you like to do when it comes to camping. You have the group that always goes to places with full hookups. At the other extreme, you have those who never camp in any designated campground and strictly dry camp. How long you stay in any given spot also has a big impact. Some can go days on a couple batteries alone, while others can't get through a night.

Personally, I've always had at least 2 batteries on the RV's I've had with electrical systems. This worked for me to get through at least a 3 day weekend. Later on I added a couple 2000 watt inverter generators. I recommend the Champion inverter generators here as they are at least 90 percent of the quality of the high end units at roughly half the cost. For most part time RVers you should easily be able to get a decade or two in use from one before needing any major maintenance.

Finally, I personally really like solar, but have to admit it really isn't all that attractive from a cost perspective. I also always take a generator too for the times when the Solar just doesn't cut it. On the plus side, when it does work it's totally silent and self maintaining. You simply don't do anything but enjoy the camping trip.

Hit the road, get a few trips under your belt, and keep a notebook handy to right down what you forgot, or wish you had, and keep notes on stuff like how low your batteries got, how often they needed re-charge etc. on each of your trips. Over time as you determine your actual needs you'll be able to make the best choices for you and your style.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
This as been said before but i'll add my story. We almost always boondock, State/National parks. We used to only have a generator (Honda 2000), It would always be running to keep the batts up and I use 2 6volts and all LED lights in the trailer. I just got tired or hearing a genset in such beautiful places. I went to 300 watts of solar and have never looked back. One advantage that has not been mentioned is that your coach batteries are always ready to go between trips. Just hook up the trailer and go, no charging them a few days before you have to leave. I still have a generator for the odd times that we need to run the air, but that usually means that campers around us need to run theirs as well so I tolerate them. Solar is by far the best mod I have made to my trailer.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Where will you be boondocking?
Will you need to use the microwave and AC? If so, you need a generator.

I have 2 deep cycle batteries and 120w of solar to keep them topped off. I do not use a television. (Actually took the thing out) I don't use the microwave. I boondock where / when I don't need AC. I carry the generator just in case I do need to plug in, but it's been 2 years since I've needed the thing. I can easily get 4 days out of the batteries before I need to charge them.

That's me, and my style of camping. I don't want to hear a generator, I want to hear the wind in the trees. I want to hear the river. I want to hear chipmunks scold each other. Other people have different expectations from their camping experience.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^^^ and if you plan to mix in with the tent campers, no generator is quiet.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
In WI you will need a bunch of solar and you are not going to run AC off it... yes it can be done with a huge battery bank $$$$ but even then not very long.

You need a second battery regardless as one will not last very long. If you need AC then you need a 3000W generator, if not an expensive 2000W so your neighbors will not hear it over the one they are running.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
If your definition of boondocking is out by yourself in the boonies, then either will work. But if you mean dry camping in a developed campground with camping neighbors all around enjoying the peaceful environment, I would recommend solar. ๐Ÿ™‚

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:

Lol, technomadia runs full time with mostly solar, they can even run both AC units in their bus for 2.5 hours off just their battery bank,... 400WHrs of lithium ... a 15A extension cord with AC for several weeks at a time.
Where can I get one of these ACs which only draws 400 Wh/2.5/2 = 80 watts? Does it do anything more than a fan?

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Do you really think you need the independent power? We found that we don't "need" a generator or solar.

For weekend camping without hookups, careful use of electricity makes our single battery easily last a weekend. From Friday night to leaving on the following Monday, single battery power is fine. For a week plus, I usually bring a spare camper battery so I know we have enough power.

Otherwise we plan camping trips at campgrounds with electric hookups, especially if we think we'll want to use the air conditioning. Although having a "full hookup" campsite with septic is nice, I have no problem with using the dump station at a campground so we will choose a campsite based on location and size, not just hookups. A lot of campgrounds around us have "electric only" campsites, or campsites with electric and grey water only drains - which is really nice, you can take long showers!

If I ever do get a generator for camping, I will spend the money to get a high quality and Quiet! one like a Honda. Friends have a Honda 2,000 watt camping generator, and it is just weird how quiet it is.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I have both solar and gen.
The solar gets used all year round; The generator is used in winter to supplement the solar when its rainy/cloudy. I use 2 batteries;

IF I had a choice between solar OR generator then I would choose the generator although in a pinch you can top off your TT batteries by running the tow vehicle and connecting the batteries together;
Gerry

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Every persons needs will dictate what works best for their type of camping. I started with larger batts, then got a honda 2000 then added solar and 6v batts. I mostly camp with services but the genset and solar allow me full freedom on my boondocking trips. If I could do it again I wish I had the Honda back in my tent trailer days!!

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I would start with a generator. Later on look into adding solar.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO