cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper weigh way

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am picking up my new Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB in about 10 days.
GVWR - 6000
Dry weight with LP and batteries- 4806
Dry hitch weight with LP and batteries - 467

I am getting a new F-150 in about 8 or 10 weeks.

I want to get proper CAT Scale weights to do this right. What is the process for getting the weights?

I am assuming
1. truck front axle pulling trailer (with WDH)
2. truck both axles pulling trailer (with WDH)
3. all truck and trailer axles (with WDH)
4. truck front axle not pulling trailer
5. truck both axles not pulling trailer

Am I right? Am I missing anything?

Thanks

Bobbo
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB
14 REPLIES 14

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will do. Getting the trailer next week. Getting the truck the second week of June. (That gives me time to go through the trailer manuals and drydock.)

Can't wait.
Bobbo and Lin

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
As described, you need to cross the scales three times.

First time.
Fill the fuel tank and go the scales fully loaded like you are going camping. Find some scales here: http://www.publicscaleslocator.com
Pull up on the scales with the truck front wheels on the first pad, the truck rear wheels on the second pad and the trailer wheels on the third pad. There is a button to push to call inside. Sometimes there is one low and one high. Sometimes there is only one high at the level of a semi truck window. I take a broom handle just in case to push the high button. You need to be in the cab of the truck when it is is weighed.
The operator will ask, "First weigh or reweigh?" You say, "First weigh".
The operator will ask, "Unit number?" You say "555" or whatever number you want to use.
The operator will say, "Got it!" or some such. You are already weighed. If you are standing outside the truck to reach the high button, none of your weight will be distributed to the rear axle on the second scale.
You pull off the scale, go park, and go inside to pay about $11. They will give you a weight ticket with a serial number on it.

Second time.
Release all the tension from the weight distribution bars. I take them off and put them in the back of the truck. Pull back on the scale as before. This time say, "Reweigh". The operator will ask, "Ticket number?" Read off the number on your ticket. Pull off the scale and go inside with your ticket number and pay $2 and get another ticket.

Third time.
Unhitch the camper. Remove the WDH and bars from the truck and leave them at the camper. Pull up on the scales with only the truck, front wheels on the first pad and rear wheels on the second pad. This time again say, "Reweigh" and give your ticket number. Pull off the scale and go inside with your ticket number to pay another $2.

Now you have three weight tickets. Now you can do some math and determine the following:

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
lawrosa wrote:
Use this calculator.

You need 3 weights.

Truck
Truck trailer WD engauged
Truck trailer WD bars unhooked.

Your only goal with the WD hitch is to restore your front axle of truck to original weight of truck weight alone. Without going over or heavier on the front axle. Never go over.

Towing planner cat scale TT calculator

Thanks for this link. I used Ron G's link for a long time. I pulled out some old measurements I had made and entered them in lawrosa's link and bingo, the same results. Much easier and quicker too.

3 measurements and you are ready to go.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I may have to fill the fresh water tank just to get enough hitch weight! The scales will tell the tale.
Bobbo and Lin

RamRider
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are traveling with full tanks your weight is going to be around 5000 plus your hitch. When we heighten our 25FB on the way home from a trip our weight was 5900 lbs with about 10 gal of water and our BluOx. They only way you are going to approach 6000 lbs on your trailer is full tanks (including hot water tank). So do not be surprised if your travel wight is pretty close to 5000-5100. You are not going to have any problems getting the weight balance right with any good WDH.
2014 Airstream 25FB
2016 Ram
Blue Ox Sway Pro
ARE Topper

APT
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:

You need 3 weights.

Truck
Truck trailer WD engaged

Weights from 3 configurations above on 3 pads (TV front axle, TV rear axle, TT axles).
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
Truck scales have 3 pads that give you individual front, rear, and trailer weights.

I did not know that. Thanks
Bobbo and Lin

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Some where you need to weigh the trucks rear axle separately with WDH and again without WHD.

Won't subtracting the front axle weight from the total truck weight give me the rear axle weight?

Both with and without WD?

The link above will give you all the correct results. Might take you 20 minutes to do it all at the CAT scale.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Truck scales have 3 pads that give you individual front, rear, and trailer weights.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
Some where you need to weigh the trucks rear axle separately with WDH and again without WHD.

Won't subtracting the front axle weight from the total truck weight give me the rear axle weight?

Both with and without WD?
Bobbo and Lin

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Use this calculator.

You need 3 weights.

Truck
Truck trailer WD engauged

Your only goal with the WD hitch is to restore your front axle of truck to original weight of truck weight alone. Without going over or heavier on the front axle. Never go over.

Towing planner cat scale TT calculator
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a UTube video on how to use the CAT scales, It's geared to the trucker but you'll get the idea. Do two different weighs: with and without your trailer. VIDEO
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE