cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

quadrajet replacement

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I need to replace. The cheep rebuilt I find is around 320 for a 750cfm and 400 for a 800cfm. Anybody have any ideas. Is there a Different manufactory that may fit?? There seems to be a Holly that is compatible, but all so around 400.

18 REPLIES 18

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Search on "FiTect" for fuel injection that is self-contain, and self learning. These are less than $1,000 with a $400 kit to use the stock fuel pump, that has a sump with high pressure pump built in. You can read up on just what they will control, if you have the right distributor.
Wildmanbaker

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
I looked online at the Holley injector kits, as well as the eldabrock injector kits, the low is around 1200 and the one I like with timing control and some other relays to control what ever else you want run around 2100. After my wife has gotten to use it for a while that may be a go. Right now I am trying not to have to live in it as I spend money on it. I don't want a expensive Dog house. It has become kind of a Man cave for me and others that want to have a drink, and not worry about any body crying.

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
After some thought, and talking with the guys at a speed shop that play with carbs on big block Chevy's, they gave me a kit, and some new brass floats. going to rebuild it and stick it back on there.
I have a Edelbrock650 spread that is soaking in two gallions of cleaner for a day or so, as it was sitting on my self for ten years un used. It came of a 428 ford I had in one of my old car projects that hit a tree when I let my then 16 year old son use it to impress some of the local ladies. I am guessing they were not real impressed, as they never called him back after rideing with him when he trashed my car. lol.
I will post some pictures of it when it is clean and installed, Going to put the old Rodjester back on there,just easy to throw on the 650 at this point to see what it will do.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Brian in Michigan wrote:
Warped bowels????????? ha ha ha that's the best laugh I had in a long time
What the heck is he talking about, until I reread my post..... Autocorrect eh.
Wildmanbaker

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are in S.E. GA.. I know a good mechanic.. But I agree with rebuilding

I've done many rebuilds of a dual-jet carb.. Never a quad, but the job is the same just bigger.

Finally had to replace my 2 BBL as.. Turns out the casting was bad.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I've rebuilt Hollys many times.The Carter types with so many different jets and rods if you are trying for maximum performance can be a hassle unless you have been doing it a while.
However a stock replacement of components in kit, is not too hard or hard at all depending on.......
The cleaner is still around for the body and such. You have to immerse the carb in it and it is murder on skin clothes and pretty much anything not metal.
The throttle shafts sometimes had bushings and if they are loose they can be replaced but not worth it.I've seen the blades and shafts messed up ore times than not. No bushings and worn shafts body where blades contact, you could buy the base plates with throttle assemblies etc from Holly. I don't know waht is available now. Often times I've seen carbs rebuilt but the shaft clearance and blades, worn and loose and it was a waste of money.
A new carb is perhaps the est bet but not the cheapest.
The Throttle body injectors with computer or processor is a great deal.
Since you have a big block the four throttle body is what you would want.
The factory can tune the processor so I'm told. And with a laptop and manual you can find tune it. A higher pressure constant flow electric fuel pump, and return line will need to replace the mechanical pump for the carb. I'm making assumptions as to what you have. You will get easier starting, no vapor locks, and better performance.
I would contact Holly directly for specs out what you need. Probably have to buy through a Retailer though.
These are just my opinions. Others perhaps have better.

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
IMO the Q-jet is a PINA to rebuild compared to just about any other carb.

I replaced one a Blazer that I used to race offroad with the Holly easy to rebuild or setup.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Warped bowels????????? ha ha ha that's the best laugh I had in a long time
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Rebuild......well only if the carb is really rebuildable. What is the problem? Is it running rich, flooding, drivability, or emissions? Many things can be wrong with a Q-jet. Warped bowels, warn throttle shafts/bores, porous bowl leaks, etc. Q-jet is a very good carb, but it did have many problems, and not everybody could get them to work correctly.
Wildmanbaker

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Go to any good southern CA speed shop and ask the question. I second the Holly route.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
Holley made a direct replacement for the Quadrajet called a spread-bore pattern. The nice thing about the Holley was that it was pretty much a direct replacement and you could easily change the jets in it to adjust for optimum fuel usage or economy. They are still out there. I believe it came in 650 and 800cfm sizes, maybe more now.
Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can also find carbs that have already been rebuilt on Ebay. I'd do the repair kit.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide not to go the rebuild route on the one you have, contact Edelbrock for the correct replacement and then shop that number on the web.

Gary

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I've rebuilt dozens of these, which means anyone with a couple of screwdrivers, a pair of needle nose pliers, half a brain and can follow instructions should be able to as well. No black magic here.

Although the Holley AFB is a better carb... You'll need to be able to bend and move fuel lines. Normally you would fill the tube with sand and bend it, but I recommend getting a tube bender and flaring kit instead.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox