cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPMS - I know, again!! Need some buying advice!

PGCR
Explorer
Explorer
So, I'm at that point where I'm ready to pull the trigger on a TPMS for our 5ver (I know, I'm late, but better late then never!!) and really need some good advice on which system to invest in. I've been really looking at the TST507RV with the 4 Flow Through sensors, but the price keeps creeping up and up. I'm not sure this is the forum to put this in, but thought I'd throw it out there and see what the opinions are with regards to any system that I should be considering. Thanks in advance. Paul
32 REPLIES 32

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
Would a pair of cameras looking at the tires be less fuss than a TPMS?

If you are being facetious I think the other posters missed your intent.;)
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that all the monitors I have looked at look the same. Checking programming and I have found them to be the same. Looking at the size and picture of the sensors, they look the same. Is it possible that they are all the same but packaged and labeled the same?

Don't need the "disconnect" capability because I turn mine off and place in its box when not being used. Good luck
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
When you don't have a tire show up, you're saying it doesn't alert you to this problem for about an hour?

But you can see there is no tire pressure information.

The TST will show a tire even if it's been out of contact with the monitor for up to an hour. But after an hour of being out of contact, the tire will not show up and an alert will sound. .
It doesn't make an audible beep for about an hour.

Yes, each tire icon flashes indicating it's the one being reported on, but there will be no numbers for either pressure or temperature showing.

My tire icon will still be there, flashing, but no numbers.

What stops the show on my EEZ unit is if a tire is low (or high) pressure.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Ok, I haven't read the manual on how this works, so I'll just explain.

The monitor takes about 2 minutes to cycle through all 10 tires. It can take several minutes before they all show up. Sometimes one or two will never show up. Sometimes they show up then disappear, which 'notifies' me they've lost contact. It can take almost an hour before the blank ones will give an audible beep, along with showing a blank. I guess the audible beep means I better do something.

Most of the time I can reboot the monitor to show the previously non-responsive sensors.
I kind of understand, since it seems to work similarly to the TST system. When you say "It can take several minutes before they all show up. Sometimes one or two will never show up" I assume that you are talking about initial start-up, as in the morning after being down all night. Very much like the TST.

The TST also takes about the same amount of time to cycle through the tires, although I only have 6 to check.

When you don't have a tire show up, you're saying it doesn't alert you to this problem for about an hour? But you can see there is no tire pressure information. That seems very odd. The TST will show a tire even if it's been out of contact with the monitor for up to an hour. But after an hour of being out of contact, the tire will not show up and an alert will sound.

I think I would contact the manufacturer and try to clear up the problem you have. It seems odd that rebooting the monitor would re-connect the sensor to the monitor. It almost sounds like there is a problem with the monitor.

Thanks very much for the info on your system. I'm trying to decide if I want to replace my TST with something more responsive.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
it could be up to an hour between when the monitor lost the signal and the monitor alerting you to a lost signal and showing a blank. That's why I was wondering how long yours takes to notify you.
Ok, I haven't read the manual on how this works, so I'll just explain.

The monitor takes about 2 minutes to cycle through all 10 tires. It can take several minutes before they all show up. Sometimes one or two will never show up. Sometimes they show up then disappear, which 'notifies' me they've lost contact. It can take almost an hour before the blank ones will give an audible beep, along with showing a blank. I guess the audible beep means I better do something.

Most of the time I can reboot the monitor to show the previously non-responsive sensors.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
how long does it take for the monitor to alert you to the fact you've lost contact with a sensor? Have you ever checked the time frame? .
About a minute. The monitor is constantly cycling thru all the sensors, and suddenly one will just show blank. Turning the monitor off and back on will clear it up...for a while.
I just reread this and wanted a bit of clarification. If you take the monitor and walk out of range of the sensors, how long does it take before the monitor alerts you to the fact it is no longer receiving signals from the sensors.

The TST takes about an hour, but it acts just like yours: the monitor cycles through the sensors, but then one will show up blank and an alarm will sound. However, and here's the kicker, it could be up to an hour between when the monitor lost the signal and the monitor alerting you to a lost signal and showing a blank. That's why I was wondering how long yours takes to notify you.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BendOrLarry
Explorer
Explorer
EEZTire here too. No problems.

BendOrLarry
Explorer
Explorer
EEZTire here too. No problems.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
We've have an EEZTire system on our class A for a year now with excellent results with the non-flow thrus.

x2
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

MrRetired821
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed the TST 507RV flow thru on my 40' 5th wheel. Simple process and the sensors connect to the monitor in about 3-5 minutes. I did notice when I needed to add air that it seemed to take longer to top off the tires to 105 cold psi. However not a deal breaker for me. So far so good.
Have to agree with customer service being great. Called them to check status of order and was informed they where back ordered and would ship in a week. They extended the warranty 6 months for the week delay.
The order arrived when they said it would.
Smokey&Bobbye

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Woodtroll wrote:
Whatever brand you consider, I highly recommend temperature sensing capability. I have the newer Tireminder TM66, which I like because it also allows me to "disconnect" the trailer sensors when I am only driving the truck, so I don't get "lost sensor" alarms for the trailer sensors.

I absolutely agree on the temperature capability, and note that TST also has the "disconnect" feature when not towing.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever brand you consider, I highly recommend temperature sensing capability. I have the newer Tireminder TM66, which I like because it also allows me to "disconnect" the trailer sensors when I am only driving the truck, so I don't get "lost sensor" alarms for the trailer sensors.
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
2oldman wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
Heavens no. TMPS is also a good way to check your tires before departing.

.....and the cameras don't work at night

Nor will cameras tell you that the temperature is rising quickly due to a stuck brake or bad bearing.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
Heavens no. TMPS is also a good way to check your tires before departing.

.....and the cameras don't work at night
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"