cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of another Collie, Cooper saga(update page 6)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
As you know 2 weeks ago Lassie passed. I currently have one Collie Mikko 11 years old with a bum knee. Mikko likes other dogs so this would not be a issue other then if the new Collie got to rambunctious.

The Collie I'm considering has special needs. He is two years old and has DM. They say it's currently under control with Trental. He has to take 2 pills a day. I will visit some more with them before I decide.

I'm on the fence about this.
56 REPLIES 56

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad Cooper has settled into a good routine!! Or he has YOU settled into a good routine - either way works 😉
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Rita 2 years seem to go by fast, it won't be long until I'll have had Cooper a year. Merry Christmas to your family (pets are family).

Mikko will be 13 shortly and he is starting to have trouble with weakness in his hind legs. I know at that age his time with me will be limited but cherished.

In a way Cooper is good for Mikko he keeps the old guy active. When I first brought Cooper home Mikko was indifferent towards him, that has changed for the better.

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
So happy things are working out for Cooper and you. We will have Buttons now for 2 years on Dec. 6 and she is a delight, a wonderful traveler, and has more than filled the empty hole that Andy left, though I will always remember and love the memories of that sweet sheltie. May you and your collies have a Merry Christmas and enjoy the holiday season. Sending you best wishes.

Rita
Buttons the Sheltie
Nicky the Tennessee Walker
Walt, the husband who puts up with all of us

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Update on the counter surfing Collie Cooper. For some reason Cooper just stopped counter surfing on his own. I think he figured out he wasn't supposed to do it and there was always plenty of food.

Socializing Cooper won't be a problem either. He is a professional greeter, absolutely loves people and other dogs. I don't know about cats none have come up to him.

Cooper loves riding in the truck, boat or probably anything that moves. He did well for his fist boat ride.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Cooper had his first dental today. X-rays were good along with his complete blood work up. Had his second or booster shot for leptospirosis.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Dashonthedash wrote:
Congratulations on the new collie, Dan. Hope you have many years and a wonderful life with him.
Thanks, it sure is different having a younger Collie.

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on the new collie, Dan. Hope you have many years and a wonderful life with him.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Cooper is a smart boy!!!!
Mikko the oldest Collie wanted a rope that Cooper had so Mikko picked up another toy and started playing with it by Cooper. Cooper dropped the rope to get the other toy and Mikko was able to get the rope. Cooper fell for this 3 times.

It's amazing how well that old trick works - Moose-dog uses it on Bat-dog to this day. The other one is the "oh something exciting is going on outside" trick - pretend you hear something interesting outside and rush out the door, then when brother or sister follows to see what it is, come rushing back in and grab the preferred spot on the couch.

I caught Moose-dog reaching for a chocolate pie on the counter (where Bat-dog couldn't reach) and knocking it on the floor for Bat-dog to eat. I'm still not sure if he was doing her a favor or trying to kill her (she's immune to chocolate so it failed if that was his intent).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Mikko the oldest Collie wanted a rope that Cooper had so Mikko picked up another toy and started playing with it by Cooper. Cooper dropped the rope to get the other toy and Mikko was able to get the rope. Cooper fell for this 3 times.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday I was working out in the front yard and had Mikko and Cooper with me. Cooper usually never let's me get out of site. Well I do a few things and turn around and Cooper is gone. I call for him and get no response so I load up Mikko into the Blazer and drive around looking for him. Went to the North made a loop nothing, went to the south made a loop and came home. In the front yard Cooper is laying there chewing on a very large cow bone. Which neighborhood dog is missing a bone?

Same day earlier that morning Mikko initiated play which was a first. While Mikko has been good with Cooper he has been indifferent. Mikko is getting old and play is not high on his agenda.

On the counter surfing he just about has me trained. NO FOOD LEFT OUT.

Cooper goes in for his dental the 31st.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Sheezz! All this talk about food, got me hungry. I'm gonna go get me something to eat!

Anonymous

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed my Collies have been older and the obedient kind. This one is 97 percent of the time. He has learned to stop at the curb, street is a no in three times of being told no.

As long as no foods out there's no counter-surfing. No part of my counter is out of reach. When he stands on his back legs he is about eye level with me.

Had some friends over last weekend grilled some burgers and brats. I want to socialize Cooper so he is part of the festivities as well. When I was done cooking I just turned off the grill and left the meat to keep warm. Cooper seen that any time we needed burgers or brats we got them from the grill. While we were eating Chris seen him try to raise the lid to the grill. So he does pay attention to details. Mikko and Cooper did receive 2 grilled sirloin burgers each when we were done. Cooper managed to pilfer a additional brat from Chris's plate when he wasn't looking. Marcia his wife experienced no losses.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Our first Border Collie, Duncan, taught us a lot about what to avoid with the next ones.

He would obsess on balls (go figure, a Border Collie obsessed with balls). We had to pick them up to get him to relax; or do anything else (including eat). We would put them on a book shelf. He knew where it was and would stand against the shelf to knock it off the shelf. We placed a mouse trap on the shelf to teach him not to push on the shelf. He learned to stand on his hind legs without touching the shelf.

He taught us that you never threw a toy (rock, stick, etc) for him. We could bring home a new toy and he would happily play with it on his own. If we tossed it once he would no longer play with it on his own; he always wanted us to toss it for him.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M